Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Texas
Reload this Page >

Connection at DFW from United to American Eagle.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2015, 10:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage, and HHonors

I am looking to book a flight on Expedia. I would have a connection at DFW. Is 1hr and 16 min enough to go from terminal E to terminal B. Also I would be on multiple carriers United Airlines and American Eagle. Would I have to re-check since i would be switching airlines or no? I have never done multiple carriers before. If I did have to re-check do you think I be able to check in at the gate?

Last edited by xxwerftxx; Sep 27, 2015 at 11:23 pm
Old Sep 28, 2015, 12:45 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Welcome to Flyertalk xxwerftxx

DFW is a large airport and it can take a while to travel between terminals - either walking or taking the skytrain. Then allow for delays due to weather and congestion, getting onward boarding pass if needed, etc.

I would not book such a short connection even if having no checked bags and flying on the same airline for arriving and departing DFW.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 5:25 am

Programs: AA Gold
Connection at DFW

DFW is big, but efficient. Everyone has their own comfort level, I personally have had short connections like that several times there with no problems. Some connections even less than an hour. However, that is usually when on the same airline with carryon only, and a little buffer time on the arrival side in case there was issues.

But to be on different airlines, there is no protection in case of a delayed first flight for your second, leaving you at risk of being stranded since the second carrier will likely not rebook you. The checked bags adds even more problems, not sure if you can interline, but overall sounds like you are pushing your luck.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 5:40 am
Original Member

Programs: AA-EXP/DL-Diamond/UA-100K/Hyatt-Globalist/Hilton-Diamond/Marriott-Titanium - Many more....
Connection at DFW

would they be on the.same.or.seperate tickers?
Old Sep 28, 2015, 5:42 am
Original Poster

The ticket would be on one reservation
Old Sep 28, 2015, 6:10 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
You shouldn't have to recheck. And besides, you would be air-side so you just go to your gate and you can get a boarding pass there if you need one. And you can always check-in online.

As for the connection, assuming your first flight is one time, that is enough time IME. However, if your flight is late, you will either be running fast or miss your flight. Since it is a single reservation, you should be protected by Expedia. How urgent is it that you arrive at your destination on time?
Old Sep 28, 2015, 7:04 am
Original Poster

It is on one of the last flight's out for United to Dallas. And the Eagle flight is the last one of the day which leaves at 10pm.

Last edited by xxwerftxx; Sep 28, 2015 at 7:24 am
Old Sep 28, 2015, 7:40 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
xxwerftxx, welcome to FlyerTalk. Let me move this to the dedicated FlyerTalk forum on Texas for more discussion. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 8:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - You were asked how many tickets, not how many reservations. It makes a huge difference as third-party vendors such as Expedia will sometimes book an itinerary on two tickets.

If you are on one ticket, you are connecting and if AA is late into DFW, it will be AA's responsibility to rebook you. If you are on two tickets, you are not a connecting passenger and if you no show for your UA flight, your ticket will be cancelled.

Whether UA rebooks you or requires you to purchase a new ticket will depend on your fare conditions and the willingness of a particular UA agent to help you out.

So, if you are deadset on booking through Expedia rather than calling AA and booking the ticket (AA has an interline agreement with UA and can certainly book the ticket), make certain that you confirm with Expedia before purchase that it is on one ticket.

Don't let Expedia give you a runaround. Terms such as PNR, booking reference and the like are not tickets.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
OP - You were asked how many tickets, not how many reservations. It makes a huge difference as third-party vendors such as Expedia will sometimes book an itinerary on two tickets.

If you are on one ticket, you are connecting and if AA is late into DFW, it will be AA's responsibility to rebook you. If you are on two tickets, you are not a connecting passenger and if you no show for your UA flight, your ticket will be cancelled.

Whether UA rebooks you or requires you to purchase a new ticket will depend on your fare conditions and the willingness of a particular UA agent to help you out.

So, if you are deadset on booking through Expedia rather than calling AA and booking the ticket (AA has an interline agreement with UA and can certainly book the ticket), make certain that you confirm with Expedia before purchase that it is on one ticket.

Don't let Expedia give you a runaround. Terms such as PNR, booking reference and the like are not tickets.
I would be taking United into DFW. Where I am going American Eagle is the only airline. And there is only 1 ticket
Old Sep 28, 2015, 10:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by xxwerftxx
I would be taking United into DFW. Where I am going American Eagle is the only airline. And there is only 1 ticket
In that case, if you misconnect, it is for UA to rebook you onto the next available service.

I would still advise booking through UA unless your third-party site can do this for a lot less money.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 1:01 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
This is a tough one, as UA's on time record is NOT very good. Ask me how I know

If even half hour late, and if you already have AA boarding pass, this is an easy connection at DFW.

As someone upthread pointed out, it depends on your level of comfort, and getting Expedia in the middle to have you rebook onto next AVAILABLE flight does not sound like fun in case of IrrOps @:-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.