FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Texas (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/texas-695/)
-   -   DFW Terminal E Pre-Check (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/texas/1604369-dfw-terminal-e-pre-check.html)

swag Aug 19, 2014 7:39 pm

DFW Terminal E Pre-Check

Anyone know what's up with the DFWTerminal E Pre-Check at the E-14 checkpoint? A few weeks ago, it was non-pre; they told my girlfriend it was a one-off closure due to being short staffed. And two days ago, also no Pre, they told me that it was whenever they had long lines at the next checkpoint(s) over. But it's also no longer listed at dfwairport.com: "TSAPreCheck™ is now available in select DFW Airport terminals. Click below to learn more about the expedited screening initiative currently available in DFW Terminals A, C and D."

Is it gone for good?

EmailKid Aug 21, 2014 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by swag (Post 23391856)
Anyone know what's up with the DFW Terminal E Pre-Check at the E-14 checkpoint? A few weeks ago, it was non-pre; they told my girlfriend it was a one-off closure due to being short staffed. And two days ago, also no Pre, they told me that it was whenever they had long lines at the next checkpoint(s) over. But it's also no longer listed at dfwairport.com: "TSAPreCheck™ is now available in select DFW Airport terminals. Click below to learn more about the expedited screening initiative currently available in DFW Terminals A, C and D."

Is it gone for good?

I normally enter at UA end of Term E, and the last time it was early morning, and Pre✓ was Pre✓ Lite :rolleyes:

Before that it was full blown Pre✓ but that was not super early.

Have another early morning departure this Saturday, so will see what will be in store then.

EmailKid Aug 24, 2014 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid (Post 23403786)
Have another early morning departure this Saturday, so will see what will be in store then.

Sorry, since I took the Orange Line to DFW, arrived at Term A, and wasn't willing to take Terminal Link just to find out :p

I was the only one in Pre✓ at just after 5 a.m. Well, practically the only one there period :eek:

Orange Line runs once an hour that early on weekends :(

13thandseven Aug 27, 2014 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by swag (Post 23391856)
Anyone know what's up with the DFWTerminal E Pre-Check at the E-14 checkpoint? A few weeks ago, it was non-pre; they told my girlfriend it was a one-off closure due to being short staffed. And two days ago, also no Pre, they told me that it was whenever they had long lines at the next checkpoint(s) over. But it's also no longer listed at dfwairport.com: "TSAPreCheck™ is now available in select DFW Airport terminals. Click below to learn more about the expedited screening initiative currently available in DFW Terminals A, C and D."

Is it gone for good?

Interesting.
This page only lists Terminal E as having "Expedited Screening", which IME experience in Terminal E means you have to stand in the regular security line but can keep your shoes on.

I've went through Terminal E security twice recently on Thursday afternoons. First time Pre was closed, but they shuffled people into the "Priority" line. Second time it was closed "due to staffing", so I got in the regular line. About 2 minutes later Pre opened up and I hopped out of line into the Pre line. So who knows what's up at DFW. If Pre continues to be hit or miss, I may start going in at C (or D) and taking the train.

wcj1 Aug 27, 2014 7:46 pm

I went through on 8/22. Apparently the only PreCheck at E is now E18. I asked a bunch of agents about it, and as I have noticed before, TSA agents barely know what is going on at their specific checkpoint, much less the next checkpoint down.

E18 is almost getting far enough away that I'm beginning to wonder if it is worth it as a United flyer.

aamilesslave Aug 29, 2014 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by wcj1 (Post 23435402)
I went through on 8/22. Apparently the only PreCheck at E is now E18. I asked a bunch of agents about it, and as I have noticed before, TSA agents barely know what is going on at their specific checkpoint, much less the next checkpoint down.

E18 is almost getting far enough away that I'm beginning to wonder if it is worth it as a United flyer.

Until last week it was still at E15, but this week, they said it has moved and sent me over to E18. Doesn't make much difference to me as I am usually flying on US Airways out of E.

swag Aug 30, 2014 8:42 am

I tweeted DFW Airport to ask if there was Pre at E open yesterday afternoon, and they replied merely that E8 had Expedited screening. No mention of E18. I also tweeted TSA but got no response. Between that and the traffic backup at E with the construction, I decided to try my luck at C. C20 Pre was open as advertised, but its location halfway between the 2 C SkyLink stations isn't exactly convenient. (C30, Pre open only until 10 am would seem a better choice). Maybe next time I'll try A, longer train ride but shorter walk.

EmailKid Aug 30, 2014 5:25 pm

FWIW,

took Orange Line again this a.m. for 6:40 UA flight, but unlike last Saturday, no Pre at A, just Pre Lite.

Sign said Pre is not open before (forgot time now - went through at 5 a.m.) as next Orange Line did not go for another hour, and that would have been too close :eek:

wcj1 Aug 31, 2014 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by swag (Post 23448166)
I tweeted DFW Airport to ask if there was Pre at E open yesterday afternoon, and they replied merely that E8 had Expedited screening. No mention of E18.

No one knows anything at the airport, that much seems clear. I'm guessing though that they moved it to E18 since that checkpoint has the longest hours at E.

Also, I think DFW is just parroting what is on their website (i.e. not mentioning E18) and their website says A security open at 4:30a and PreCheck opens at 5a:
http://dfwairport.com/travel/security/index.php

gobluetwo Sep 19, 2014 3:44 pm

I don't bother with going to E18. I'm satisfied with expedited screening. There is a separate line and it's usually very short to the ID checker. You just have to show your BP to the screeners and they'll ID you as PreCheck. Only have to remove laptop, otherwise no difference from regular PreCheck. Sure, you do have to wait a tiny bit longer for the "regular" people in front, but it's not that bad. What you lose in the 1-2 minutes waiting in line is much less than the time it would take to take Skylink from one end of E to the other.

What is annoying is the fact that the screening area is positioned such that the escalators closest to the rental shuttle dropoff are closed so you have to walk down farther to go up and then backtrack.

liddy0021 Dec 27, 2014 1:48 pm

Does anyone know if precheck has been added at E8 yet?

liddy0021 Dec 28, 2014 4:10 pm

I can update: In E1 to E15, there is no precheck per se but they will let you leave your shoes on if you have precheck on your BP. Computers and liquids must be out of luggage.

wcj1 Dec 29, 2014 9:44 pm

Precheck will probably not be added to E8, since they took it away previously. It is only Expedited at E8, as you mention.

flightrisk Jan 5, 2015 12:10 pm

The pre-check at E18 is disconnected from UA/B6 due to construction at E11-E17. This checkpoint always seems to be set up wrong - they have separate lanes leading up to the TSA agent, but afterwards the non-pre-check flyers end up in the pre-check lanes and it's always painfully slow.

They need to change that CLEAR lane to pre-check at E8. Does anyone even use it? I think i've only ever seen one person use that lane.

aamilesslave Jan 12, 2015 10:01 am

It would be a bit of a pain, but you could also use SkyLink to go to the other side of E for United/B6 if you use the E18 checkpoint (also assumes you don't need to check bags or visit the ticket counter).