FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Texas (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/texas-695/)
-   -   Where to meet passenger at IAH? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/texas/1560983-where-meet-passenger-iah.html)

Rong Xing Mar 16, 2014 11:25 pm

Where to meet passenger at IAH?

Hi,

My parents will fly to Houston to visit me through air china and they don't speak one English word.
Does anyone know if there is a chance to meet them at the gate? Or at the baggage claim? I know people can meet the passenger at the baggage claim if it's a domestic flight but no idea about International.
No clue found at fly2houston website. Hope I can get some help here.

Thanks!

longhorn11 Mar 16, 2014 11:38 pm

Since it's an international flight, your parents will have to go through customs before you can meet them. I don't know of any airport that allows people to meet/greet arriving intl pax before they pass through customs, it's just a safety thing.

I would have to assume IAH has people that can assist in these types of situations. When they get to customs, someone that speaks their native language will be brought in to complete their arrival

Also, if they plan to travel back here in the future, I would try to learn at least a couple of key phrases. TSA/CBP employees can be frustrating at times, it helps to guide them in the right direction right off the bat.

EmailKid Mar 17, 2014 9:17 pm

My friend's parents flew in from Poland, and he was able to meet them at the gate as well as walk them to the gate after obtaining a special pass.

Another friend was able to get a pass to meet her unaccompanied children at the gate, though I don't recall who she called to get passes.

Since this is China Air, I am not sure calling them would help, though it couldn't hurt. Since they are in *A, you could try UA next and see if they can help you or point you in the right direction.

You could also just come to checkin counter with printed itinerary and see if they could issue a pass through security.

Otherwise wait between term D and E where they will exit customs (having already cleared immigration).

One other though, IAH, like many other airports have volunteer ambassadors, and if you could find their phone number, they may be able to help you.

Rong Xing Mar 17, 2014 10:33 pm

Thanks!

Sounds very encouraging if I can get the special pass!

longhorn11 Mar 17, 2014 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid (Post 22542354)
My friend's parents flew in from Poland, and he was able to meet them at the gate as well as walk them to the gate after obtaining a special pass.

Another friend was able to get a pass to meet her unaccompanied children at the gate, though I don't recall who she called to get passes.

Since this is China Air, I am not sure calling them would help, though it couldn't hurt. Since they are in *A, you could try UA next and see if they can help you or point you in the right direction.

You could also just come to checkin counter with printed itinerary and see if they could issue a pass through security.

Otherwise wait between term D and E where they will exit customs (having already cleared immigration).

One other though, IAH, like many other airports have volunteer ambassadors, and if you could find their phone number, they may be able to help you.

Interesting. I thought they eliminated this after 9/11 for everyone but unaccompanied minors. You used to be able to go to the airline and then they would clear it with security by giving you the pass. This was back in the late 1990s though.

EmailKid Mar 17, 2014 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by longhorn11 (Post 22542746)
Interesting. I thought they eliminated this after 9/11 for everyone but unaccompanied minors.

Both after 9/11. YMMV.