Dallas For a Day and Night

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2014, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX MarcoPolo (SL), BA Executive Club (GO)

Hi everyone!

I will be in Dallas for a full day (and night) in a couple of weeks and I have the entire day off.

It is my first time to Dallas, so I would appreciate if you have any tips/suggestions on where to go and what to see (basically what is worth doing and what is not).

I enjoy wandering around cities, so at the moment I am considering visiting things like: (even if it is just walking by) JFK Memorial Plaza + Dealey Plaza + Old Red Museum, Dallas Museum of Art...

Also I am spending the night near DFW. Is it worth checking out things over in Fort Worth or near the airport in the afternoon? (E.g. Fort Worth Stock Show and Rodeo?) (It is quite far away, so perhaps there is something typically Texan nearby to DFW or downtown Dallas?

I am also interested in Aviation, is the CR Smith Museum worth visiting, its only 6mins away from my hotel by car?

I'd really appreciate any advice or suggestions,
Thanks!
Old Jan 9, 2014, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
It really depends on what you want to see, Dallas is much more cosmopolitan as opposed to Ft. Worth which is more traditional. There are more out of the way, touristy "Texan" things in and around Ft. Worth compared to Dallas which is like any other big city.

Downtown and Uptown Dallas both have great restaurants, bars, etc. The downtown arts district is nice as well as the McKinney Ave. area in uptown. The new Perot Museum might be something to check out as well.

Also keep traffic in mind if you're trying to hit a lot in one day, especially if you're staying close to the airport.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by longhorn11
It really depends on what you want to see, Dallas is much more cosmopolitan as opposed to Ft. Worth which is more traditional. There are more out of the way, touristy "Texan" things in and around Ft. Worth compared to Dallas which is like any other big city.

Downtown and Uptown Dallas both have great restaurants, bars, etc. The downtown arts district is nice as well as the McKinney Ave. area in uptown. The new Perot Museum might be something to check out as well.

Also keep traffic in mind if you're trying to hit a lot in one day, especially if you're staying close to the airport.
Thanks for your response, I will probably take public transit so hopefully only an hour or so to and from the airport.

I will definitely check out the Arts District, I looked a bit more up on that, and it looks like a must place to visit.

Do you know if there are any Rodeo or Livestock shows near DFW. I found one on the other side of Fort Worth but it may be tricky and take a while to get to?
Old Jan 9, 2014, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by CX828
Thanks for your response, I will probably take public transit so hopefully only an hour or so to and from the airport.

I will definitely check out the Arts District, I looked a bit more up on that, and it looks like a must place to visit.

Do you know if there are any Rodeo or Livestock shows near DFW. I found one on the other side of Fort Worth but it may be tricky and take a while to get to?
The only Rodeo/Livestock stuff I know of is in Ft. Worth and out in the country. DFW airport is surrounded by businesses/houses/commuter suburbs for Dallas. West of Ft. Worth is going to be your best bet for touristy old western stuff.

If you're taking public transportation, you will probably be very limited in where you can go. All DART lines head downtown before they go elsewhere throughout the metro area. There is a trolley system that goes through uptown that you could catch, but it is undergoing renovations so I'm not sure if that's a sure bet.

Honestly, I'm not 100% sure you can even get to Ft. Worth by public transportation. Maybe you take the orange line bus/train to downtown to the TRE? Maybe someone else can jump in on that. The public transportation serves one purpose here and that is to get people to Downtown Dallas, it's not the best system for activities in other areas.

ETA: we also have A LOT of shopping, not sure if that's something you're into though…

Last edited by longhorn11; Jan 9, 2014 at 3:47 pm
Old Jan 10, 2014, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
When are you coming? Weekday or weekend?

I don't usually recommend DFW without a car, but for just a day, you can probably manage. The TRE train runs 6 days a week (not sunday) between downtown Dallas & downtown Ft Worth, with a stop near DFW at the Centreport station on the south side of the airport. There are free shuttles between that station and the terminals.

If you want to try to do both cities, I'd suggest Dallas by day. JFK stuff (JFK memorial, Dealey Plaza, 6th floor museum), then the Arts District (DMA, Nasher). Ft Worth in the evening, the Sundance Square downtown offers lots of bars, restaurants, nightlife. These areas are all walkable from the TRE stops.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 6:25 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all your replies.

I will be coming on a Friday + Friday evening.

Based on your responses, and looking at getting to and from Fort Worth, I think it may be too much hassle/time consuming to go to Fort Worth, unless I go for the evening as you suggest.

Likely there will be enough things for me to do in downtown Dallas, and perhaps on my way back to the hotel near DFW, I can pop in to the C.R. Smith Museum (If it is worth it?).
Old Jan 10, 2014, 9:34 am

Thanks for all your replies.

I will be coming on a Friday + Friday evening.

Based on your responses, and looking at getting to and from Fort Worth, I think it may be too much hassle/time consuming to go to Fort Worth, unless I go for the evening as you suggest.

Likely there will be enough things for me to do in downtown Dallas, and perhaps on my way back to the hotel near DFW, I can pop in to the C.R. Smith Museum (If it is worth it?).
That sounds like a better plan in my opinion. It's just really difficult to navigate this area without a car since it's so spread out.

I've never been to the C.R. Smith Museum so I can't comment on that, I believe there is another aviation museum near Dallas Lovefield.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 4:07 am

Programs: MileagePlus Gold
"I believe there is another aviation museum near Dallas Lovefield." This! http://www.flightmuseum.com/
Old Jan 11, 2014, 7:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ERJ_12B
"I believe there is another aviation museum near Dallas Lovefield." This! http://www.flightmuseum.com/
Thanks for the link!
Old Jan 11, 2014, 12:35 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
"I believe there is another aviation museum near Dallas Lovefield." This! flightmuseum
That one is not easy to get to by public transport as only Bus #529 goes by, and except for rush hour not very frequently. Moreover it's a way from any rail station, so a longish ride on the bus

Besides the retired WN 737 Museum of Flight is geared mostly to older flight related things, IIRC pre WW II, and since my interest is more current I was a little disappointed with my visit.

If you enjoy walking you may like funky Deep Ellum east of downtown, reachable by Green Line.

Last edited by EmailKid; Jan 12, 2014 at 8:22 am Reason: Green, not Orange Line, #529, not 31
Old Jan 11, 2014, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid
That one is hard to get to by public transport as only Bus #31 goes by, and except for rush hour not very frequently. Moreover it's a LOOOOONG way from any rail station, so a long ride on the bus
Long way? Its just on the other side of the airport from the Inwood/Love Field. The 529 will have you at the front door in less than 10 minutes or it can be walked in about 30. Not sure where you got your info from.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EmailKid
That one is hard to get to by public transport as only Bus #31 goes by, and except for rush hour not very frequently. Moreover it's a LOOOOONG way from any rail station, so a long ride on the bus

Besides the retired WN 737 Museum of Flight is geared mostly to older flight related things, IIRC pre WW II, and since my interest is more current I was a little disappointed with my visit.

If you enjoy walking you may like funky Deep Ellum east of downtown, reachable by Orange Line.
Thanks for that tip, I will probably do that . . . Love walking around cities.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

On topic of public transport, am I right in assuming I can buy the $5 day pass from the bus driver upon boarding at DFW?
Old Jan 11, 2014, 7:39 pm

On topic of public transport, am I right in assuming I can buy the $5 day pass from the bus driver upon boarding at DFW?
Yes.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 7:57 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Long way? Its just on the other side of the airport from the Inwood/Love Field. The 529 will have you at the front door in less than 10 minutes or it can be walked in about 30. Not sure where you got your info from.
My info comes from walking all about Dallas, and around Love Field in particular @:-)

But you are right about 529, got confused with 51, which used to go there until the route was cancelled (and part of old route 51 became 31, and another part 529).

You could also take Love Field bus 524, which runs every 20 minutes and walk. According to Google maps it's 0.8 mi, 15 mins walking from corner of Mockingbird Land and Cedar Springs Rd to museum.

You actually feed five dollars into the machine and driver hands you a pass that is good for the day. Just pay attention which bus you take, as northbound and southbound stop at the same stop and Dallas bus drivers often don't switch destination signs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.