Reload this Page >

AAny hotels around DFW that accepts minor guest

AAny hotels around DFW that accepts minor guest

Old Dec 10, 2013, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage PLT
Thumbs down AAny hotels around DFW that accepts minor guest

Hi

So I'm travelling from east coast to Asia via DFW.
And I was thinking of overnight layover at DFW. Since DFW isn't anything like Tokyo Haneda, I definitely need a place to spend a night.
I'm currently sixteen, and I just found out that in America, you have to be at least 18 year old to stay at hotels by yourself. I never thought there would be a problem with booking a hotel room cause I haven't experienced anything like this in Japan, Singapore or Hong Kong...
I called several hotels around DFW airport, like Marriott, Westin, Hyatt(both Hyatt Regency and Grand Hyatt), Sheraton...etc...
they all said I have to be at least 18 to check in by myself, unless I'm accompanied by someone older than 18.
I'm travelling alone, later requirement is impossible for me to qualify.

I don't know what to do now, and one thing I'm sure is that I don't want to spend twelve hours at DFW terminal(my stay at Haneda's International Terminal was quite enjoyable, but DFW isnt anything like that)
I currently have a debit card with my name on it(BOA).

Do you guys know any hotels around DFW airport that accommodates under-age traveler like myself?
Old Dec 10, 2013, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
You might try contacting the in-terminal Minute Suites and ask them.
http://minutesuites.com/locations/df...ional-airport/

Since they aren't a traditional hotel, they may not have the same rules.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 7:21 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
How about something a little non traditional?

airbnb.com

I've used them for a bed in Chicago and a garage apartment in Puerto Rico.

Not sure if there's one close to DFW, but if you can find a place near Orange Line light rail you should be OK.

Also didn't check age requirement, but it's not a hotel ... then again, never knew there was a minimum age to check into a hotel
Old Dec 11, 2013, 10:35 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by flyJAL
Hi

So I'm travelling from east coast to Asia via DFW.
And I was thinking of overnight layover at DFW. Since DFW isn't anything like Tokyo Haneda, I definitely need a place to spend a night.
I'm currently sixteen, and I just found out that in America, you have to be at least 18 year old to stay at hotels by yourself. I never thought there would be a problem with booking a hotel room cause I haven't experienced anything like this in Japan, Singapore or Hong Kong...
I called several hotels around DFW airport, like Marriott, Westin, Hyatt(both Hyatt Regency and Grand Hyatt), Sheraton...etc...
they all said I have to be at least 18 to check in by myself, unless I'm accompanied by someone older than 18.
I'm travelling alone, later requirement is impossible for me to qualify.

I don't know what to do now, and one thing I'm sure is that I don't want to spend twelve hours at DFW terminal(my stay at Haneda's International Terminal was quite enjoyable, but DFW isnt anything like that)
I currently have a debit card with my name on it(BOA).

Do you guys know any hotels around DFW airport that accommodates under-age traveler like myself?
What did you end up doing? You may have been better off not having even asked the hotels and just made an online reservation and showed up.

Some hotels don't check age when checking in as long as you have a charge card in your name and look like you've just come off a flight and don't look very young. Whether they ask for ID or not varies, but even if they do, they don't necessarily look at the age.

More states really should look into laws to allow for older minors to check into hotels without having to hook up with someone 18 years or older, especially as during weather-driven travel disruptions its not unusual for teenage minors to end up with unexpected overnight stays at transit/connection points. That said, there is the dilemma regarding who should and should not be allowed to enter into contracts -- and hotel stays in the main involve a kind of contract.

Last edited by GUWonder; Dec 11, 2013 at 10:45 pm
Old Jan 6, 2014, 5:28 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Plat
As a minor (for another 2 weeks) and a frequent traveler, I understand your concerns, and I have experienced similar problems several times. I have found that acting confident and presenting your ID and credit card together at check-in usually helps avoid raising any red-flags, and most of the time, the front desk agent won't even look at your age.

I have found that smaller, non-chain hotels will be more understanding if you are underaged and want to stay there, even if they notice. If you encounter problems checking in, explaining your situation (and offering to call a family member who will confirm they are aware and OK with you staying there) and offering to give a $50 deposit in case of any damages to the room usually works as well. As a last resort, you could explain how your flight was delayed, you missed your flight, you are on the way to attend the funeral of your great aunt Betsy If nothing works, ask them to cancel and refund your reservation and try a different hotel. If they sound sympathetic, you could even ask them to recommend a hotel that might offer a room to an exhausted teenager.

My point here is that even though hotels may say they require you to be 18 to check in, you rarely encounter problems even if you are underaged. I have checked into many hotels by myself without any problems, but I have also been turned away a few times as well. Usually you'll be fine -- Just be polite and appear confident and you'll have a nice place to sleep for the day!

Oh, and whatever you do, avoid IHG brand hotels if you are not 18. I have found they are by far the strictest with age requirements.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.