FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Texas (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/texas-695/)
-   -   Working at DFW, where to live... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/texas/1529591-working-dfw-where-live.html)

stan1162 Dec 10, 2013 9:03 am

Working at DFW, where to live...

Don't know where else to ask this...

Family member will be working for Spirit (please no comments) at DFW.

Need recommendations as where to live for the easiest commute. Access roads to get "on-property" and then to a convenient employee lot..

Grapevine, Coppell, Colleyville, Euless??

Apartment, not a house.

ANY help/suggestions would be great!

MissJoeyDFW Dec 11, 2013 11:47 am

Originally Posted by stan1162 (Post 21939068)
Don't know where else to ask this...

Family member will be working for Spirit (please no comments) at DFW.

Need recommendations as where to live for the easiest commute. Access roads to get "on-property" and then to a convenient employee lot..

Grapevine, Coppell, Colleyville, Euless??

Apartment, not a house.

ANY help/suggestions would be great!

Can you give us some more information about what this person is looking for? There are many areas around the DFW airport to live, it is surrounded by suburbs that have easy access. Also there are tons of apartment complexes that will give airline employees discounts.

What items are important to your family member? Gated community, short commute, amenities, what kind of community do they want to live in?

I lived in Coppell for 5 years and Valley Ranch (Irving) for a year and loved the MacArthur corridor. I don't work at the airport so I don't know where the employee parking lots are, I suspect they are south though. If that is the case then the Grapevine, mid-cities (Hurst-Euless-Bedford) is closer, also a lot of people who work at the airport live in the North Arlington area. I can say I do not recommend the South Irving area around 183, I do like North Irving known as Las Colinas and Valley Ranch. Grapevine has a lot of new apartment communities and also has a downtown with restaurants, clubs and shopping.

stan1162 Dec 11, 2013 6:33 pm

More info....

Originally Posted by MissJoeyDFW (Post 21947641)
Can you give us some more information about what this person is looking for? There are many areas around the DFW airport to live, it is surrounded by suburbs that have easy access. Also there are tons of apartment complexes that will give airline employees discounts.

What items are important to your family member? Gated community, short commute, amenities, what kind of community do they want to live in?

I lived in Coppell for 5 years and Valley Ranch (Irving) for a year and loved the MacArthur corridor. I don't work at the airport so I don't know where the employee parking lots are, I suspect they are south though. If that is the case then the Grapevine, mid-cities (Hurst-Euless-Bedford) is closer, also a lot of people who work at the airport live in the North Arlington area. I can say I do not recommend the South Irving area around 183, I do like North Irving known as Las Colinas and Valley Ranch. Grapevine has a lot of new apartment communities and also has a downtown with restaurants, clubs and shopping.

It is my son (25) and single who is moving. He currently lives in Nashville, and lives about 3-4 miles from the airport where he works.

The important things for him, probably in this order.
1. Commute time and ease.
2. Safe area
3 Price
Ammenites not really important at the apartment complex. But Ammenities like close grocery store, Walgreens etc..

He currently works 50-60 hours a week, so he needs a quiet, safe close town. He does not want to be stuck in freeway traffic.

I have been to Dallas, all three times spent LOTS of time going round and round lost!

Thanks for the great imput so far!

aamilesslave Dec 14, 2013 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by stan1162 (Post 21950154)
It is my son (25) and single who is moving. He currently lives in Nashville, and lives about 3-4 miles from the airport where he works.

2. Safe area
3 Price
Ammenites not really important at the apartment complex. But Ammenities like close grocery store, Walgreens etc..

He currently works 50-60 hours a week, so he needs a quiet, safe close town. He does not want to be stuck in freeway traffic.

I have been to Dallas, all three times spent LOTS of time going round and round lost!

Thanks for the great imput so far!

At that age, I'd recommend North Irving/Las Colinas.

You may want to check out the Dallas City Pages forum for more opinions:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/dallas/

spankytoes Dec 17, 2013 10:10 pm

Price range?

jayer Dec 23, 2013 6:42 pm

2. Safe area
3 Price
Pretty much anything 3-4 miles from DFW fits the parameters. Overgeneralizing, straight east to southwest will be less expensive, but quite a bit of variation in age and price within that. Northeast to northwest will be a bit newer, some more expensive, and probably a bit younger. West is big houses not apartments.

There are zillions of apartment units that are withing easy distance of DFW. The area which might be most closely tied to the airport employee base is straight south in the Centerport complex where AA is headquartered. This would put him on the airport bus route and the east-west train line between downtown Fort Worth and downtown Dallas, which stops at the pro basketball arena. I think he would need a car to shop, but that is about it.

If he wants a more diverse environment not tied to the airport, lots of people his age live around downtown Grapevine. Rent is generally more expensive. Bedford is older and was upscale in another time.

Really he just needs to come look. It's not like DFW is in the slums, but it's not out in the country anymore either.

stan1162 Jan 2, 2014 7:47 am

UPDATE...

Well, I just spend a few days moving DS to the Dallas area.

With the help from a great (free) apartment locator, and suggestions here, he settled on Grapevine.

His drive from door to door is 14-16 minutes. I guess for Dallas, thats pretty darn good. And no part of it is on a major Freeway!

Oh, and the best part, there is an In and Out Burger, right close by!

Thanks to everyone.