Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 4, 2017, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: swag
Best Barbecue in Texas

Related Threads:

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Print Wikipost

TEXAS barbecue, best in the world

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2017, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by swag
Five years later, the new Texas Monthly BBQ list is out.

Top 50, sorted by city: http://www.texasmonthly.com/food/the...ints-in-texas/

Top 10, ranked: http://texasmonthly.com/s/the-golden-age-of-barbecue

Snow's is back at #1 .

It's nice to see my old local favorite CattleAck debut on the list all the way up at #3 . A few of the top 10 I've not heard of. But the biggest surprise may be who isn't on the list - for instance, just one place in Lockhart made the cut...
I think another trip to Texas needs to be in my very near future...
Old Jun 20, 2017, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
I'm in Gonzales every other week and subsist partially on Baker Boys while I'm there. There's not a whole lot of choice in town but with six meats to choose from, I never get tired of it even if I wind up there three days in a week.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite
I guess I must have caught them on an off day, but I did not care for Cattleack at all. The line was utterly ridiculous for mediocre Q.

It wasn't bad, and I can see why it could make top tier, but it was no where near Pecan Lodge, Lockhart, or even 10-50 in Richardson in my opinion.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Texas Monthly honorable mentions - 10 joints "tied for #51 ".

http://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/bbq-joint-number-51/
Old Nov 7, 2018, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

New best-of list from the BBQ writers at the Dallas Morning News, their favorite 41 spots.

Broken down by region (Houston, Austin/San Antonio, DFW, East Texas), so nothing in South Texas, Rio Grande Valley, West Texas or the Panhandle. It includes many of the usual suspects (but not all of them: only one in Lockhart and none in Luling), plus some that don't often appear on these lists. And a #1 pick not in Austin or Dallas or Lockhart, but in San Antonio.

https://texasbbqposse.com/2018/11/th...vorite-41.html
jackal and 1readyset2go like this.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Snow's is still on my bucket list, but their hours never work with my trips to Austin. I have the chance to be in the area this coming Saturday, but I'm not sure how early I can make it (will be coming down from either Dallas or Waco, TBD). Realistically, how early do they usually run out these days? I heard they expanded capacity a bit a few years ago, but I haven't really heard what that translates to in terms of hours...

(Also, I hear they run out earlier on game days and other events--anyone know if there's anything going on this Saturday that would cause higher-than-normal crowds?)
Old Nov 7, 2018, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Aggie home game Saturday doesn't look great for your hopes. Longhorns are up in Lubuttock at least. Baylor is up at Iowa State.

Both times I've gone to Snow's I've aimed to arrive at 7:30. I have not waited more than 45 minutes either time.
jackal likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Aggie home game Saturday doesn't look great for your hopes. Longhorns are up in Lubuttock at least. Baylor is up at Iowa State.

Both times I've gone to Snow's I've aimed to arrive at 7:30. I have not waited more than 45 minutes either time.
Thanks for the response. It would have been a stretch to get there before noon and absolutely impossible to do anything before 10am. I'll just aim to book a place to stay in the vicinity some other Friday night, preferably outside of football season. :/
Old Jan 6, 2019, 10:15 am

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
We are going to a wedding in a couple weeks and need some help finding good BBQ near Sugarland/Stafford area. I went through some of the lists here but the Houston area stuff was all too far north. In my limited Texas BBQ sampling the last time FT steered me to Pecan Lodge (and I can't thank you enough for that!) when we were in DFW and that was flat out amazing. Hoping for as good a recommendation again. Thanks!
Old Jan 24, 2019, 6:24 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Originally Posted by 1readyset2go
We are going to a wedding in a couple weeks and need some help finding good BBQ near Sugarland/Stafford area. I went through some of the lists here but the Houston area stuff was all too far north. In my limited Texas BBQ sampling the last time FT steered me to Pecan Lodge (and I can't thank you enough for that!) when we were in DFW and that was flat out amazing. Hoping for as good a recommendation again. Thanks!
Sugarland/Stafford area is pretty weak in terms of BBQ. There aren't a lot of options that I would recommend for that. Rudy's out in richmond is a chain but not far is pretty good BBQ for a chain. I would drive into the city for either Pinkerton's or Pit Room. In Stafford area a cool Texas place is Redneck Country Club, looking on there website they are starting a BBQ but can't tell you how good it will be. https://theredneckcountryclub.com/ In Stafford area for food I would go to Tornado Burger https://www.yelp.com.sg/biz/tornado-burger-stafford get burger or philly steak and ask for spicy.
1readyset2go likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 8:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
I highly recommend Brett's in Katy, Texas.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The now-quadrennial 2021 Top 50 list is out.

Lots of surprises.
Just a decade ago, Texans took our state’s basic barbecue meal for granted. It was the sacred trinity of brisket, pork spareribs, and sausage, served with potato salad, coleslaw, and beans on the side. The biggest decision diners had to make was whether they wanted ice cream with their peach cobbler. The lineup seemed as fixed as the brick barbecue pits in which the meats were smoked.

And it wasn’t just the menu that was unchanging. Places and personalities seemed perennial as well. Two of the many truths we held to be self-evident were these: Lockhart was the unchallenged capital of Texas barbecue, and Snow’s BBQ, in Lexington, and Franklin Barbecue, in Austin, were the best joints in the state. That pair of enormously admired institutions captured the number one and two spots on Texas Monthly’s 2013 and 2017 lists of the fifty best barbecue joints (Snow’s also ranked first in 2008, before Franklin opened). They epitomized old-school Texas barbecue at its finest. Aspiring and veteran pitmasters alike visited them as if they were shrines.

But in the past half decade or so, we’ve begun to notice that the winds of change are growing quite gusty. In cities and towns across the state, new joints have been opening, and young, ambitious pitmasters have been getting into the game. Because they’ve been inspired by Texas’s long and storied barbecue tradition, the Texas trinity still dominates, and brisket has only gotten more popular (and expensive). That said, the upstarts have lots of new ideas.

What distinguishes the Texas barbecue scene today? In a word: surprises. In another word: variety. We’re talking bacon burnt ends, beef cheeks, birria, blueberry-and-Gouda sausage, brisket-topped elote, and guava-glazed pork ribs. And those are just the meat offerings. Side dishes and desserts range as far afield as Big Red tres leches cake, blistered brussels sprouts, carrot soufflé, citrus-beet salad, and brisket fried rice. And we haven’t even gotten to the wine lists.

As you would expect at a time of transformation, compiling our Top 50 list was a challenge. Even we were shocked by some of the changes we felt compelled to make. The former lodestars in our firmament, Snow’s and Franklin, no longer occupy our first or second spots (though both made the top ten and are absolutely worth visiting). For the first time, sadly, no Lockhart joints made the list (though the venerated Kreuz Market does appear in our Honorable Mentions). But the flip side of those descents is that Texas barbecue boasts an exciting freshman class: 29 of the 50 entries are new to the list, including the rookie establishment that vaulted to our number one spot.
It's been 5 years since I lived in Texas, so most of the newcomers are unknown to me. Curious if any FTers have enjoyed some of these new spots?

Top 50 (top 10 ranked): https://www.texasmonthly.com/interac...p-50-bbq-2021/
Next 50 (honorable mentions): https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/our...able-mentions/
Old Nov 1, 2021, 5:57 pm

I've been meaning to get to Interstellar, guess I'm screwed now with the lines lol. It's just far enough away from me in Austin that I haven't been, and my friends who live near it have said it's solid but didn't rave about it enough to make me immediately go. Certainly not #2. I'll let it die down for a few months then go now.

I'm a big fan of Brotherton's that made the top 50. I live near it in Pflugerville, and their BBQ sandwiches are awesome. Brisket Pfilly with Queso, Brisket Pfrench Dip, Brisket Italian Beef, all phenomenal.

Interstellar is the former noble pig guys so I'm sure it's solid, definitely need to try it at some point.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
I think the challenge of these latest rankings are their inclusion of "sides" and "ambiance" as part of the rankings vs. simply the bbqd meats.

But it is surely a way to drive clicks and loud/wide discussion from their perspective..

David
Old Feb 21, 2022, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Went to Interstellar and Whitfield's last weekend.

Interstellar on fri afternoon around 2 pm - short line maybe 10 min - tried brisket, pork belly, ribs and that day's special, lamb shoulder. Brisket and pork belly were great, ribs a bit hard but with great flavor, lamb was so so - a bit dry with gaminess of lamb overpowering smoky flavor. With a few sides and drink and tips was iirc under $100 for about 2.5 lb of meat (just the right amount for two adults and two kids imo)

Whitfield's on sunday around noon: the place is a food truck with a few tables around - only 2-3 ppl ahead of us. Tried brisket, ribs, pulled pork and brisket kolache (which is like pirozhky with spicy brisket inside). Awesome brisket, and ribs (much preferred those to interstellar) good pulled pork with very interesting bbq sauce. Ended up about $60+ as we ordered a bit less stuff but overall that place was about 20% cheaper.

Both are great - if forced to only pick one meal on return probably would pick Whitfields because of ribs and interesting sides (and no-nonsense middle of nowhere bbq truck setup ).
https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/whitfields-2019/

Out of curiosity drove by Franklins where the line was snaking around the building and Salt Licks in Driftwood with giant parking full of cars lot throngs of ppl and 1.5 hr wait. Probably great places but too mainstream.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.