Reload this Page >

Texas Tollways and Rental Cars

Old Feb 28, 2017, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Toll Roads in Texas

Wikipedia: Toll Roads in Texas

TXTag: Map of Tollroads in Texas

Companies which manage/bill for toll road access (note one tag will work throughout Texas)

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Print Wikipost

Texas Tollways and Rental Cars

Old Apr 23, 2019, 11:42 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Get a sheet of plexiglass and stick it on there, and them some velcro or suction cups for that to make it portable. Should work.
saxman66 likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 12:13 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Just wanted to see if there were any updates to how to make this work for a short-term very occasional visitor. We'll be going to Dallas this coming weekend for some concerts. Flying into DAL and staying on Harry Hines. Maybe going to Ft. Wroth one day. One of the recommended routes is on the Tollway, but easy enough to avoid at a cost of a few more minutes. The toll itself would be cheap, but I'm not seeing any easy way to do this without the added rental car fees or getting a transponder which we really wouldn't use beyond this weekend.

Any thoughts?

Cheers.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 12:28 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by brp
Just wanted to see if there were any updates to how to make this work for a short-term very occasional visitor. We'll be going to Dallas this coming weekend for some concerts. Flying into DAL and staying on Harry Hines. Maybe going to Ft. Wroth one day. One of the recommended routes is on the Tollway, but easy enough to avoid at a cost of a few more minutes. The toll itself would be cheap, but I'm not seeing any easy way to do this without the added rental car fees or getting a transponder which we really wouldn't use beyond this weekend.

Any thoughts?

Cheers.
If you don't already have a TxTag or similar, I'd just avoid the toll road if you can. The markup that Hertz will give you (for what might be less than a $2 toll) is really ridiculous.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 12:31 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by aztimm
If you don't already have a TxTag or similar, I'd just avoid the toll road if you can. The markup that Hertz will give you (for what might be less than a $2 toll) is really ridiculous.
Thanks. KInda what I thought. We do have a Sunpass as we visit Florida often, but no TxTag. As OW fliers we're in Texas quite a bit, but rarely leave DFW

Cheers.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 1:18 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by brp
Thanks. KInda what I thought. We do have a Sunpass as we visit Florida often, but no TxTag. As OW fliers we're in Texas quite a bit, but rarely leave DFW

Cheers.
It looks like NTTA actually has a few locations where you can get a tag on the spot:
https://www.ntta.org/whoweare/Pages/Contact-Us.aspx

I think the NTTA tag allows easier transfer from vehicle to vehicle (unlike the TxTag). All of the various tags in Texas work on any Texas toll road, so if you have the NTTA and visit Austin or Houston, it would still work fine (I've used my TxTag in Dallas without any issues, other than having to pay ).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.