Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Texas
Reload this Page >

IAH in 3 words: CART COMING THROUGH

Old Dec 9, 11, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Nat'l Exec

I feel better. I needed to vent. I swear, of all the airports in the US, IAH has the most carts driving around yelling at us to move.
Old Dec 9, 11, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Heh aint it the truth.
Old Dec 9, 11, 9:31 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by colpuck View Post
Heh aint it the truth.
I will refrain from saying anything about Texas...

I want to know what happens if one of them "accidentally" hits me when I don't get out of the way.

I could be deaf, you know....
Old Dec 10, 11, 9:11 am

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), Marriott lifetime Plat
For my part, I prefer the IAH way to that of CLT, ATL, and other airports where those same carts are always barreling through the concourses with that infernal beeping, which occurs whether anyone needs to move aside or not. At IAH, at least, the call-outs are only as-needed, and some of the drivers are imaginative enough to ask us to move aside in relatively creative-sounding ways. (Anything's better than the beeping. Gets in your head and stays there.)
Old Dec 12, 11, 6:52 am

I once sat down for 30 minutes and counted the number of carts speeding through. This was by the one of the CO Clubs, in D I believe. I counted around one a minute!
Old Dec 20, 11, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by busyexec331 View Post
For my part, I prefer the IAH way to that of CLT, ATL, and other airports where those same carts are always barreling through the concourses with that infernal beeping, which occurs whether anyone needs to move aside or not. At IAH, at least, the call-outs are only as-needed, and some of the drivers are imaginative enough to ask us to move aside in relatively creative-sounding ways. (Anything's better than the beeping. Gets in your head and stays there.)
I was determined to mention CLT if someone else didn't beat me to it, I think CLT is far worse especially as the concourses are older, narrower and having worse lighting problems so they really can sneak up on you.
Old Dec 26, 11, 1:02 pm

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
The carts are a necessary evil at a huge airport like IAH...but at least they don't honk their horns like they do at other airports.
Old Dec 29, 11, 11:52 am

Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL Diamond, LH SEN, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by theblakefish View Post
The carts are a necessary evil at a huge airport like IAH...but at least they don't honk their horns like they do at other airports.
I love the guy who actually screams "HOOOOOOOOONK!!!"
Old Dec 29, 11, 3:07 pm

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
Originally Posted by BryanIAH View Post
I love the guy who actually screams "HOOOOOOOOONK!!!"
I agree -- I haven't heard him in a while...hope he is still working there!! ^ I wrote about him recently...he is awesome :-:

Ccccccaaaaaaaarrrrrrrttttttt!
Old Jan 4, 12, 12:49 am

I LOL'ed at this. This is the one airport I refuse to walk around in with my headphones on...
Old Jan 4, 12, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by theblakefish View Post
I agree -- I haven't heard him in a while...hope he is still working there!! ^ I wrote about him recently...he is awesome :-:

Ccccccaaaaaaaarrrrrrrttttttt!
I was walking through DFW today and heard a "CCCcccaaaaarrrrtttt!" right behind me. Maybe he moved north from Houston.
Old Jan 13, 12, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Plat, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold, Former CO Presidential Plat (for a day!)
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin View Post
I was walking through DFW today and heard a "CCCcccaaaaarrrrtttt!" right behind me. Maybe he moved north from Houston.
Based on my frequent trips through iah, I was about to say that the title to the thread should be iah in 1 word. Since all I ever hear is caaaaaarrrrttt

Maybe by the time the other 2 words come out they're out of my hearing range.
Old Feb 14, 12, 8:53 pm

I like the guy who makes entire speeches, with varying volumes, pitches, and intonations, composed of nothing but forms of the word cart.

"Cart. Carty carty CARRRRRT, cart CART cartish cart CART CAAAAA-RRRRT. Cart. Cart? Cart, cart, carty cartson cart."
Old Sep 27, 12, 8:27 am

Programs: Hilton, Marriott, Best Western
Response to cart drivers

What is the proper response to cart drivers who expect something from the paying customers of these airports? We have the right to use the facility, too. (Yes, the customer wearing headphones listening to music has rights as well.)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: