Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Texas
Reload this Page >

Who's going to Austin for the US Grand Prix?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2011, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Thought I would start a roll call and give a place for us to discuss issues/discoveries/etc. I have spent quite a bit of time in Austin and can't freaking wait!

I'm booked at the Sheraton Austin for $279 two nights and $899 the third.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 9:05 pm

I'm all over it. I can't wait. I plan to be there and when V8 Supercars arrives for sure.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 10:35 am

Programs: SM Gold, MP 2P, HH Gold, SPG Gold, PC
Me me me!

Went to one in Indy one year when it was still held up there. Now with it in Austin, well I'm just down the road in San Antonio so will definitely be there if I'm still living down here. November is a fantastic time to hold this race in Texas, I was terrified when I heard the announcement of the track, it was going to be July or August when the heat can get unbearable.

Advice from a local Texan:
You may want to consider staying a bit further out than downtown Austin. The track is on the Southeast side of town I believe, so that gives you a lot of options, and downtown doesn't necessarily have to be one of them if the prices are sky-high.

I'd look at some of the nice resorts in Hill Country (Barton Creek Spa, etc near Austin or the JW Resort, Hyatt Hill Country, or La Cantera Westin in San Antonio) if you want to make a relaxing vacation out of it. San Antonio is only ~70 miles from Austin, so its an easy hop, plus with the riverwalk and other attractions, it makes a really nice place to stop off for a day or two.

Gruene and New Braunfels are also fantastic areas to enjoy, and have some cute B&Bs. Old Gruene Hall in Gruene is the longest, continuously operating dancehall and music venue in Texas and usually has amazing acts that play there.

As for Austin, staying out from downtown should cut your prices decently.

If you want to be downtown to enjoy the "6th Street" vibe: The new W in downtown Austin is fabulous -- and you might be able to snag a room on SPG Points (Nightly rates whenever I look seem to be between $250-$550 depending on what's happening in town). The Hilton downtown is fine as well, although the staff when I've been there seems a bit upity.

Any questions, I'm happy to help.

Last edited by piratejo; Oct 21, 2011 at 10:47 am
Old Oct 25, 2011, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
When i was in college in the '70s I became close friends with a guy who had just returned to California from racing in the UK's Formula 5000 circuit - he got me interested in F1 racing, and we went down to Long Beach for the F1 race that was held in the downtown streets (my friend owned a Lotus Europa, so of course we rooted for the Lotus team "John Player Special" car). Ah, memories.....

Looking at the Austin dates, I think I will probably have work commitments, but I'm going to circle the date and try to work around it. Thanks for making me aware of the upcoming race . ^
Old Nov 1, 2011, 7:02 am

I'll be flying in from London I have family in Austin so fortunately don't need to worry about hotels. A friend who works for one of the teams is also planning to be there so I shuld be able to get some pretty good access passes!
Old Dec 26, 2011, 6:51 pm
aau

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA MM Gold, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Plat, IHG Ambassador
I will absolutely be there. And New Jersey the next year as well. Shocked that hotels are selling out already. Might have to stay in San Antonio.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Penalty Box 2K, PWP Posting Unit 9
I dunno if I'll go to the race, but given what hotels are charging, I'm strongly considering renting a room.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 6:11 pm

Grand pric

It may be dead - locals do NOT want it. NASCAR with martinis. No way. Go hear some bands in Austin. Race track is 15 miles from tow in middle of NOWHERE. Come back on a nice weekend.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 9:37 pm

Reserved 3 nights on point redemption at the standard rate at Embassy Suites.... just in case. Hope the issues are resolved and the race takes place.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by jmsf7
It may be dead - locals do NOT want it. NASCAR with martinis. No way. Go hear some bands in Austin. Race track is 15 miles from tow in middle of NOWHERE. Come back on a nice weekend.
Really? I was there in September and everyone I spoke to (mostly Austin born and bred) was really positive about it and looking forward to the event

I don't get the "in the middle of nowhere" comment, most race tracks are out of town as they are so loud and need plenty of space. And as for "NASCAR with Martinis", as most people who have been to a Grand Prix before will tell, you, for the majority of racegoers it is a world away from that.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 1:37 pm

I will be there
Old Feb 2, 2012, 10:39 pm

Programs: AA Plat, USAir Gold
I plan to come down from Dallas. The wife is a huge F1 fan!
Old Jun 7, 2012, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA, previously of CO.
I just found out last night we are going. I've never been to one before, so I'm pretty excited! The only thing is I'll be 8 months pregnant. To those who have been to events before, do you think this is a good idea??
Old Jun 11, 2012, 5:15 pm

Programs: AA, AS, SQ, Hilton Diamond, PC Platinum, National Exec
Originally Posted by mlh1
I just found out last night we are going. I've never been to one before, so I'm pretty excited! The only thing is I'll be 8 months pregnant. To those who have been to events before, do you think this is a good idea??
It will be very loud and the UV index will be seasonal. I would strongly suggest you bring ear plugs and seek reserved seats with shade. The latter will probably be very expensive. You might also be able to set up some shade in a GA area.

I can't wait, it's going to be a great weekend!
Old Jun 12, 2012, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA, previously of CO.

Thanks for the update! Very excited here too!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.