Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Texas
Reload this Page >

Can I enter DFW security 4 hours before flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2011, 12:18 am
Original Poster

I'm arranging a short-notice airplane trip this weekend from Los Angeles to Dallas on Saturday for a concert, and return on Sunday. I will acquire a rental car at DFW Airport.

While leaving Dallas on Sunday, I want to watch the Women's World Cup soccer final on ESPN at 1:45 PM Central Time. In a normal length game, the match would end by 3:30. If I allow for extra time and penalty kicks, the game would end by 4:30.

I will check-out of my hotel Sunday morning, so I can't watch the game from my hotel room.

So, one option is to visit a sports bar in Dallas, watch the game, drive to DFW airport, return the car, and board a flight reserved in the early evening, say 7 PM or later.

A second option would be to drive to DFW around 1 PM, return the car, enter security, watch the game at an airport bar, and fly home on a flight reserved for 5:30 or later. This would allow an earlier flight, and save 1-day of car-rental expense.

Presuming I have my boarding pass, am I allowed to enter through security at 1:30 for a 5:30 flight? I remember reading about "too-early" rules, where TSA won't allow entry earlier than 2 hours? before a flight.

Anyone have experience passing DFW security at 4 hours before a flight?
Old Jul 14, 2011, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
I've never heard of that rule. I've certainly cleared DFW security more than 2 hours before the flight (though probably not 4 hours). Lots of folks arrive early these days, and other folks may have very long connections and decide to step outside security for a smoke.

In any case, DFW has something like 15+ security checkpoints. Even if one does deny you, the next one probably will let you in.

Absolute worst case, you could probably find the game on TV in a bar in the Hyatt, connected to terminal D, landside.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 8:06 am

Programs: AA EXP-6MM; Starwood Lifetime Platinum
If you have a boarding pass for the same day of travel, you can get through security at 5am when security opens at DFW.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 10:07 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Confirm! No one even glances. I suspect that you might slip in with a next day's BP. Then there's always the bar at the Grand Hyatt.....
Old Jul 14, 2011, 3:17 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Also confirm! I went through security at SJC last year around 9 AM with a boarding pass for a 2 PM flight. The TSA agent did give me a weird look but sometimes you can't control when your ride can drop you off.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 6:11 pm

There is no maximum time limit between going through TSA and departure. I've gone through 6 hours before in the past.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.