Wiki Posts
Search

Houston hotel recommendation

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2011, 11:05 pm
Original Poster

Question Houston hotel recommendation

I have 4 options for my next trip with my son

The Derek for 2 nights 241 USD includes breakfast for both and transportation to places near

The Westin Galleria for 2 nights 198 Usd

The Omni Hotel for 2 nights 206 USD and includes transportation to anywhere near

The purpose of this trip is a medical appointment but of course also a hit of shopping.
I had stayed 3 times at the Westin and it's just a regular hotel for me it's a 3 star hotel, the great thing is the connection to the mall.
The Omni is 4.5 stars but it has a small room and a bit further from the Anderson.
The Derek is 4 stars and it's the newest.
Derek, Omni or the Westin?
Old May 14, 2011, 10:59 am

Programs: UA Silver, IHG Plat AMB, Hertz Pres. Circle, Avis Presidents Club; Caesars Diamond Plus
Originally Posted by oavcech
I have 4 options for my next trip with my son

The Derek for 2 nights 241 USD includes breakfast for both and transportation to places near

The Westin Galleria for 2 nights 198 Usd

The Omni Hotel for 2 nights 206 USD and includes transportation to anywhere near

The purpose of this trip is a medical appointment but of course also a hit of shopping.
I had stayed 3 times at the Westin and it's just a regular hotel for me it's a 3 star hotel, the great thing is the connection to the mall.
The Omni is 4.5 stars but it has a small room and a bit further from the Anderson.
The Derek is 4 stars and it's the newest.
Derek, Omni or the Westin?
Although I haven't stayed there, I've heard from friends that the Derek is very nice and the service is excellent. I'd personally go with the Westin only for the convenient Galleria access.
It's not on your list, but have you considered the Houstonian? It's in a lovely, relaxing setting, and is not far from the Galleria at all. Don't know if they offer complimentary transportation, however.

(I assume you are referring to M D Anderson Cancer Center? If you happen to take a cab to your appointment, just refer to it as "MD Anderson," otherwise the cab driver may not realize right away where you want to go...just a clarity issue, that's all.)
Old May 14, 2011, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

I didnt considere the Houstonian because
Its very expensive.. I actually dont like a lot the Westin and I want to try something different
Old May 17, 2011, 2:20 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Not sure how much you want to spend but Hotel ZaZa is right in the museum district and a short hop via light rail to M.D. Anderson.
It is usually "expensive" though.

For Galleria area the Derek is very nice. Hotel Granduca is also nice.

From the list in your OP I'd go with Derek unless you want the direct connection to Galleria then Westin.
Old May 18, 2011, 6:21 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
I've stayed at the Derek a couple of times and really enjoyed it. The service is excellent and it's a nice change of pace from the "cookie-cutter" chain properties. It's just a block or two to the Galleria and the Post Oak Blvd shopping - although one needs to cross some busy streets. If you factor in the costs of breakfast, the price is very comparable. I'd also go with the Derek.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 10:25 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Sorry to hijack this thread, but a related question.

Any recent experiences at the Hilton Garden Inn Houston Galleria...? I will be there for 2 nights next week... dont wany anything fancy, just a clean place to stay and safe parking. I can secure a sub $100 rate and Im ready to pull the trigger..... feedback please!!!

Thanks !!!! ^

Gaucho100K
Old Jun 14, 2011, 12:19 pm

Programs: CO PPlus, Amex Platinum, DL Silver Medallion, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Sorry to hijack this thread, but a related question.

Any recent experiences at the Hilton Garden Inn Houston Galleria...? I will be there for 2 nights next week... dont wany anything fancy, just a clean place to stay and safe parking. I can secure a sub $100 rate and Im ready to pull the trigger..... feedback please!!!

Thanks !!!! ^

Gaucho100K
It's a nice property in a good location...my father was there on business a few months ago.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 7:31 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Duhey2
It's a nice property in a good location...my father was there on business a few months ago.
Thanks !!!! Ive got myself a room there... very good rate, $99 per night !! ^
Old Jun 24, 2011, 6:32 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, MR Platinum, AA EXP
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Thanks !!!! Ive got myself a room there... very good rate, $99 per night !! ^
I plan on staying there on points later this summer. Please provide any information that you can on the hotel and surrounding area. I am Diamond, so if you are Diamond, if you can let me know if they provide upgrades or other benefits I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.