Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nice resorts on Texas gulf coast?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2010, 4:41 am
Original Poster

Nice resorts on Texas gulf coast?

My wife and I will be visiting friends in Dallas and want to drive to the coast for a few days in July. Are there any resorts that are comparable to what we might find in the Med, Seychelles, etc? We're not too concerned with cost at this point in our lives, we just would just like to be in a secluded place, close to the beach, with very nice restaurants, etc. A great pool is a plus also.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 12:43 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lancebanyon
Are there any resorts that are comparable to what we might find in the Med, Seychelles, etc?
Most Texas beaches should not be a destination beach unless you live there.

I have been to quite a few Texas beaches from Galveston to South Padre and have not known any 'fine' resorts to be on the Texas gulf coast. Good luck in your search if you really want to travel there.^
Old Apr 6, 2010, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie

I have been to quite a few Texas beaches from Galveston to South Padre and have not known any 'fine' resorts to be on the Texas gulf coast. Good luck in your search if you really want to travel there.^
Thanks! We have to be in Dallas anyway so it was just a thought.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie

I am told Gulf Shores, Alabama is beautiful and we are now looking at that as a better alternative. Any suggestions/recommendations for this area? We would be there in July. Also, which airport is closer, Mobile or Pensacola?
Old Apr 10, 2010, 9:43 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Of the existing beaches, South Padre would offer the closest to that which you are apparently seeking (but not very close!). Of course, South Padre is a drive of about 600 miles from the DFW area. Even Galveston, the closest "beach", rerquires a 300 mile drive, and the beach and the "resort" hotels are separated by a seawall and wide boulevard.

I suspect that the Redneck Riviera, East of Pensacola, comes closer to your expectations, but airfares can have much to do with resort choices, making places like Sanibel or nearby islands as alternates (and less crowded with vacationing Alabamans/Georgians/others who make Texans appear plumb civilized.

July along the US Gulf Coast can be beyond hot, torrid and humid, often breezeless.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TMOliver
Of the existing beaches, South Padre would offer the closest to that which you are apparently seeking (but not very close!). Of course, South Padre is a drive of about 600 miles from the DFW area. Even Galveston, the closest "beach", rerquires a 300 mile drive, and the beach and the "resort" hotels are separated by a seawall and wide boulevard.

I suspect that the Redneck Riviera, East of Pensacola, comes closer to your expectations, but airfares can have much to do with resort choices, making places like Sanibel or nearby islands as alternates (and less crowded with vacationing Alabamans/Georgians/others who make Texans appear plumb civilized.

July along the US Gulf Coast can be beyond hot, torrid and humid, often breezeless.
Sounds like our best bet is to get back to DFW and fly away as quickly as possible
Old May 4, 2010, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by TMOliver

From DFW, 3 hours by plane would put you in the Riviera Maya, Roatan, or EZE.

I've spent many a happy day in GLS at the family beach house, but it's NOT what you're looking for.
Old May 10, 2010, 11:47 pm

Programs: AS MVP, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Plat, Enterprise ExPlat
I live ~20 minutes from the coast and I hate going to our beaches. I definitely would not drive the 300+ mile trek from DFW to visit. Perhaps try finding something on Lake Grapevine, I know the Gaylord Texan is on the lake but is probably too busy for what you are looking for.

But if you really want to go to the coast, the closest hotel you'll find to what you are looking for is the San Luis Resort or the Hotel Galvez on Galveston Island. I'd choose the San Luis because the last time I went into the Galvez it smelled of a giant moth ball.
Old May 11, 2010, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Originally Posted by lancebanyon
Are there any resorts that are comparable to what we might find in the Med, Seychelles, etc? We're not too concerned with cost at this point in our lives, we just would just like to be in a secluded place, close to the beach, with very nice restaurants, etc. A great pool is a plus also.
*gasp* Nice and Texas Gulf Coast in the same sentence?! Sorry... I just spewed Laurent Perrier all over my iPad.

If someone knows of anything secluded and on par with the Seychelles (or even the Med), PLEASE enlighten me so I can quit flying to Asia for my beach escapes.

Wet t-shirt contests and King of the Hill? That's the Gulf Coast I know and loathe....

Last edited by techgirl; May 12, 2010 at 6:44 am Reason: spelling on iPad....
Old May 11, 2010, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Originally Posted by John Galt
How much do I need to drink for DFW-EZE to be 3 hours?!
Old May 23, 2010, 7:40 pm
Suspended

try looking at beach houses too
Old Aug 21, 2012, 12:34 am

Well there are many resorts available near Texas gulf coast but it depends on how much is your expenditure budget.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by techgirl
It's about 2-ish from IAH...and I think flight time to DAL is an hour. Not sure...I usually pre-game when I go on vacation, so I don't really notice.

Miss you, girl. Still smile when I think if the Abacus dinner in 2005.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 11:29 pm

Thumbs up

good going guys!!

Last edited by Miller112; Sep 25, 2012 at 11:35 pm
Old Sep 26, 2012, 8:32 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Well, now that someone dredget up this old thread ...

Originally Posted by John Galt
Originally Posted by techgirl
Ha, ha, probably meant Belize @:-)

EmailKid

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.