Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wiki posts in threads

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2009, 11:40 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
I, too, have wanted the wikipost feature on FT for a LONG time (ever since I started visiting FatWallet -- that's been a few years now).
+ 1

I manage a few thread posts (cruise meet ups, hotel deal codes, various CommBuzz) because it drives me batty! to have to sift backward, then forward to find info or to find who is going to be where when.
Old Sep 28, 2009, 10:45 pm

I find the wikipost on fatwallet very helpful and would love it if FT implemented this feature (not holding my breath considering how long this thread has been around).
Old Sep 30, 2009, 5:15 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond Marriott Plat
Come On FlyerTalk, You Can Do It!

I too would vote strongly in favor of a WikiPost Feature for Flyertalk!

It would save all of us time 2-fold, first in providing an accurate resource for pertinent information & key details for a thread;

& second also in saving "us" time from answering/correcting fellow Flyertalkers when they ("we") post incorrect info &/or ask the same exact questions over & over again within the same thread...

The Sooner FlyerTalk can do this the more valuable of a resource FT will be for all of us!
Old Sep 30, 2009, 11:42 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
I guess IB is more interested in making $$ from skimlinks on FT than implementing this much more useful feature. There's no update about wiki post implementation since Jan this year, which must be a low priority job in IB's book. However, skimlinks are up and bringing in $$$ already.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/techn...skimlinks.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/only-...direction.html
Old Jun 30, 2010, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
wikiposts in FlyerTalk threads would be a gosend in my opinion, a great way to also overcome the problems of search and threads that become outdated over time.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 11:10 pm
b8b
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat; HH Diamond; SPG & Hyatt Plat
W: wikiposts H: SPG, MR, First Born... ANYTHING!

Seriously though: perhaps we should put this thread in our signatures and ask the FT citizens to join the cause?

Here's an idea: perhaps posts could have a button to have it be recommended for the thread's wiki. I do not have a site example for such a system, but I do believe this forum would benefit greatly from thread wiki's (like FatWallet.com has) and perhaps this is an easier way to do that? The recommendation could be sent to the OP or the Mods or...?

Last edited by b8b; Jul 10, 2010 at 12:42 am Reason: just an idea...
Old Jul 5, 2010, 9:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, TSA PreCheck
Search becomes less useful the greater the size of the dataset and FT has one heck of a data set of postings!

I'd like to see this feature rolled out for a trial.

Last edited by zphelj; Jul 5, 2010 at 9:04 am Reason: Added vote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by b8b
Seriously though: perhaps we should put this thread in our signatures and ask the FT citizens to join the cause?

Here's an idea: perhaps posts could have a button to have it be recommended for the thread's wiki...?
This may well explain why our innovative ideas/suggestions/improvement were/are falling on (IB's) deaf ears.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 8:22 am

count me among those who feel strongly that a wiki feature in each thread is a LONG OVERDUE feature on flyertalk.com. It is very disappointing to see that this was brought up well over a year ago and very little feedback has been provided from the site administrators on the 'progress' of the idea.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 10:41 am

Question Admin, can you at least tell us if this is ever going to happen?

Originally Posted by bluedevils
It is very disappointing to see that this was brought up well over a year ago and very little feedback has been provided from the site administrators on the 'progress' of the idea.
"More than a year" is an underestimate.

It's been 2 years and 4 full months since this thread started. At this point, I am not sure if this feature will ever become a reality on FT.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 3:12 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Plat
I would love a wiki. especially when threads get extremely long and relativly simple questions have been answered many times over.

this would be awesome

or making a wiki that is printable. we could than send that to the airline to have them include it in their T&C to clarify what they neglected to state (this would obviously be for threads about promotions)

Last edited by cblaisd; Nov 16, 2010 at 9:37 pm Reason: merged poster's three consecutive posts
Old Jan 1, 2011, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i personally cant stand wikipedia. im a forum-only person.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 2:40 pm
b8b
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
i personally cant stand wikipedia. im a forum-only person.
Wiki posts are not exactly wikipedia - they are usually a post just after the OP post which members can edit which often summarizes the best content of the thread for a quick read, for the benefit of the community. A decent example is the second post HERE. Hope that clarifies a bit.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

just like wikipedia... where people can screw it up, then you have to spend time fixing it. and if its subtle, people may be getting the wrong information until fixed. etc.

edit - although, if this wikipost is always a "2nd" post after the stickied post(s) that does kind of become an "optional" thing for wiki people to use and cynics like me can ignore at first sign of trouble. clearly im not talking about it being done automatically in every thread. that would be...

as you can see im a cynic.

personally, i think forums avoid anything negative, because its posts (and poster/postcount/etc), there is discussion, and moderators are posters who can see post [edit] histories and IP addresses.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 1, 2011 at 3:41 pm
Old Jan 1, 2011, 3:43 pm
b8b
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
edit - although, if this wikipost is always a "2nd" post after the stickied post(s) that does kind of become an "optional" thing for wiki people to use and cynics like me can ignore at first sign of trouble. clearly im not talking about it being done automatically in every thread.
That might be a good compromise

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.