Search

Search problems

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2008, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1M
Search problems

I seem to see only one type of search - IB Beta? Shows only posts started by me.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
It seems that we are at least temporarily back to the absolutely useless Beta search.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 3:01 pm

Thanks for the feedback UA Fan.

The search option that was previously labeled as IB Beta Search was just implemented as the standard search on the forums. This has been done in an effort to improve the overall performance of the site. As you've already noticed, there might be a few bugs initially, but if it results in a much speedier site the tradeoff will probably be worthwhile.

The tech team is still working on adding in all of the features the original search provided ... I believe the expectation is that this will be completed, or at least nearly so, in about a week.

Regarding the problem you noted UA Fan, I was unable to duplicate it. Are you still seeing this happen and, if so, what type of search are you doing?
Old Feb 5, 2008, 3:43 pm
Community Director Emerita

I found an interesting anomaly. I was searching for a thread in a forum I moderate. I knew the thread originator, and I knew a key word in the title. I had retitled the thread to clarify the content. Search pulled up the original title, rather than the new title.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 4:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Wink

The tech team is still working on adding in all of the features the original search provided ... I believe the expectation is that this will be completed, or at least nearly so, in about a week.
Thank you. I get itchy if I can't search with the all the options at my disposal!

Also, is there some sort of forum wide note/sticky that can go out so that people know a change has taken place. I think this caught many of us off guard.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I found an interesting anomaly. I was searching for a thread in a forum I moderate. I knew the thread originator, and I knew a key word in the title. I had retitled the thread to clarify the content. Search pulled up the original title, rather than the new title.
That is a result of a bug with the old version of the IB search feature. It currently in the process of being fix, but the process needs to go through all of the posts on the forum. I started it after I upgraded the search, but as you might imagine, this can take a while. I expect it to complete some time tonight.
Kevin
Old Feb 5, 2008, 4:36 pm

Programs: DL PM, .6MM; AA Plat; Marriott Platinum Premier
The new search is freaking horrible. Why can't it actually display the results in the same way as the "classic" one did? IMHO, a search engine change should be able to occur entirely within back-end processes rather than impacting what the user sees.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
The new search feature STINKS. I used to be able to click "Quick Links" and then "My Threads" and it would show, in date order, all the threads I had posted to. I want that back. The new method is not friendly!

Phil
Old Feb 5, 2008, 7:09 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
The new search is not bringing back all the results

Threads I know to exist with the right keywords (that returned on the old search) do not get listed in new search.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by philemer
The new search feature STINKS. I used to be able to click "Quick Links" and then "My Threads" and it would show, in date order, all the threads I had posted to. I want that back. The new method is not friendly!
What Phil said - major to the new search. I'm used to reviewing threads I've posted on with the 'My Threads' quick link, but now the threads are ordered by original post date instead of last reply date. I can't also see at a glance anymore which threads have new replies - they're all bold.

Sorry, this is deeply weak.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Sux big-time. 'Nuff said.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
The new IB-only search feature is a giant step in the wrong direction.

Was it really that bad to offer both the traditional FlyerTalk search engine and the IB search engine so that board members could chose whichever one they preferred?

I, for one, typically used the traditional FlyerTalk search engine, except when I needed to search terms of three words or less like airport codes.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 10:53 pm
Community Director Emerita

As a mod, the new search isn't working for what I have to do. I got an RBP saying a member had posted the identical threads in 3 forums. I search to find the other threads. Normally, that's a highly successful search. Nope, I can't find the other threads.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 12:36 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
What the last two posters said.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Another voice requesting the return of the "My Threads" function. As of last evening, it seems that it has been returning results identical to the My Posts" function.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.