Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

Found something that is not quite right since the downtime? Please report here.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Found something that is not quite right since the downtime? Please report here.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2006, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by Tim at WebFlyer
Yes it can still be done (I believe this is the same as it was before). Here is a test:

This is some text for the link.

here is the code used to create it:

[ URL="http://www.flyertalk.com"]This is some text for the link.[/URL ]

You have to remove the spaces in the two URL tags in the above example code to make it work.
So it can be done, but only manually? That's a loss of functionality.

When you added a hyperlink in the "old" FT, the first option in the dialog box that popped up was to enter the text you wanted to serve as the hyperlink (you could enter no text if you wanted to use the URL itself as the hyperlink), then you pasted/typed in the URL. Now, clicking the insert hyperlink only lets you enter a URL.

I'd say that's analogous to losing the italic 'button'. Sure, it can be done manually by entering the [ I] and [ /I] yourself, but it's a lot easier to highlight the text you want italicized and click the button. Same deal with entering text for a hyperlink. Doing it 'by hand' is a pain compared to what we used to be able to do.
Old Dec 1, 2006, 1:35 pm
Tim at WebFlyer

Originally Posted by clarence5ybr
So it can be done, but only manually? That's a loss of functionality.

When you added a hyperlink in the "old" FT, the first option in the dialog box that popped up was to enter the text you wanted to serve as the hyperlink (you could enter no text if you wanted to use the URL itself as the hyperlink), then you pasted/typed in the URL. Now, clicking the insert hyperlink only lets you enter a URL.

I'd say that's analogous to losing the italic 'button'. Sure, it can be done manually by entering the [ I] and [ /I] yourself, but it's a lot easier to highlight the text you want italicized and click the button. Same deal with entering text for a hyperlink. Doing it 'by hand' is a pain compared to what we used to be able to do.
The functionality was changed, you can still use the link button provided above the post box as well (the globe with a few links of chain on it). You just click it, enter the url you want to link to and then in the bb code that it places in the post window you just change the url that is between the URL tags to say whatever you want the link to say to say.

Last edited by Tim at WebFlyer; Dec 1, 2006 at 1:57 pm Reason: typo

Old Dec 1, 2006, 1:46 pm

The functionality was changed, you can still use the link button provided above the post box as well (the globe with a few links of chain on it). You just lick it, enter the url you want to link to and then in the bb code that it places in the post window you just change the url that is between the URL tags to say whatever you want the link to say to say.
I'd like to request that the old functionality be returned. I am familiar with BBcode, and understand that it is still possible to do it by hand. It just seems easier to do it the way we used to be able to do it.

As I alluded to in my earlier post, if being able to do something by hand is a valid rationale for ditching 'automated' functionality, why not ditch the bold, italic, and underline buttons? After all, you can make text bold, italic or underlined by inserting the BBcode by hand. Why not ditch the "quote" button, since we can do that by inserting the BBcode tags and copying and pasting in the quote ourselves? Why not....well, you get the point.
Old Dec 1, 2006, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
Great work!

But I do have a queston/problem. When I click on "Multi-quote" on the bottom right of the post, nothing happens. Am I doing something wrong?
Old Dec 1, 2006, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 2008 FT1 Fantasy Football Champion
I'd like to request that the old functionality be returned.
An observation:

Having never actually used the link button (I just type the code in and paste the URL), I just started playing with the button. The section between the tags is highlighted when the link appears in the text boxes, so you just need to start typing to change the text. In other words, in this:

[ URL="http://www.flyertalk.com"]http:// www. flyertalk. com[/URL ]

The part in green was highlighted, so all I needed to do was start typing to change it. Is that not similar to the "old functionality" you are referring to, just not happening in a separate box?

(I needed to add spaces to get the software to not automatically link it...)
Old Dec 1, 2006, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 2008 FT1 Fantasy Football Champion
Originally Posted by Traveller
Great work!

But I do have a queston/problem. When I click on "Multi-quote" on the bottom right of the post, nothing happens. Am I doing something wrong?
The multi-quote button only selects those posts to be quoted in your reply. Basically, it is just an On/Off switch. After clicking on the multi-quote buttons, you need to click on Post Reply to initiate the reply.
Old Dec 1, 2006, 2:14 pm
Tim at WebFlyer

Originally Posted by Traveller
Great work!

For this functionality you click on all of the posts you want to quote in a thread (the button should change to a red color when you click it) and then click on of the reply buttons. You should then see several quotes in the text area.

There is more talk on this subject in the following thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...=310493&page=7

Old Dec 1, 2006, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by empedocles
An observation:
The part in green was highlighted, so all I needed to do was start typing to change it. Is that not similar to the "old functionality" you are referring to, just not happening in a separate box?
Ah, good observation. I hadn't noticed that it automatically highlighted the hyperlink text like that. Being the lazy person that I am, I was upset that I'd actually have to manually () highlight the old text and paste in the new. Exactly as you say, the old functionality is still there, just not in a separate box.

Thanks empedocles and Tim at WebFlyer!
Old Dec 1, 2006, 3:20 pm

Search by 3 letter airport codes gone?

Did we lose the ability to search for posts by 3 letter airport codes?

I've tried using LAX, JFK, FAT, etc but it returns no posts found.

That was a useful ability since many posts refer to cities by the code not the name. Without a search using codes it will be hard to find some relevant posts.
Old Dec 1, 2006, 3:52 pm
Tim at WebFlyer

Originally Posted by FATFlyer

That was a useful ability since many posts refer to cities by the code not the name. Without a search using codes it will be hard to find some relevant posts.
Yes this is not currently a possibility with the search, but may be again in the future.

Old Dec 1, 2006, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
For this functionality you click on all of the posts you want to quote in a thread (the button should change to a red color when you click it) and then click on of the reply buttons. You should then see several quotes in the text area.

There is more talk on this subject in the following thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...=310493&page=7
Oh, okay... I understand what the function is now. I thought it was going to take each paragraph in a single post and wrap quotes around them... multiple quotes for one post, rather than multiple quotes for multiple posts.
Old Dec 1, 2006, 4:23 pm

Programs: NZG,QF S
I'd like to request that the old functionality be returned. I am familiar with BBcode, and understand that it is still possible to do it by hand. It just seems easier to do it the way we used to be able to do it. .
I'm with clarence5ybr on this one .Lets go back to the "old" FT if possible.

Thanks Tim for all your great work, though on the upgrade.Appreciated
Old Dec 1, 2006, 4:30 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FATFlyer

Originally Posted by SLF
FYI, I was searching (results as posts not threads) in the British Airways & Oneworld forums (at the same time), for "lounge NRT T2 T1 BA" and various things along similar lines.
Unfortunately, this is the latest "enhancement": you can now only search using keywords of 4 characters of longer. Therefore, in your case, you were actually only searching for posts/threads that had the word "lounge" in them. All other keywords ("NRT T2 T1 BA") were simply ignored.

In the past, the minimum keyword length was 3 characters.

Tim at WebFlyer: Please restore the original indexing settings ... Thanks in advance .
Old Dec 1, 2006, 4:51 pm

Yes this is not currently a possibility with the search, but may be again in the future.
I hope not too far in the future.

I realize that a smaller pattern letter search combination increases the search demand and number of matches, but given the nature of content on these boards it is really a needed thing. I would think it will be missed by many.

Most posts use airport codes not city names. Without a way to search by airport code a lot of information will not be uncovered in a search. It also impacts info about aircraft, such as 757.

I remember this has come up before over the last few years when a 4 letter limit has been put in place. Here are a few old discussions about 3 letter searches from '04 and '05.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=311557
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=310043
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=309929
Old Dec 1, 2006, 5:06 pm
Tim at WebFlyer

Thanks for the feedback on the search all. We know that it is a desired feature to be able to search on 3 letter strings and it is something we are working towards bringing back. With our current solution it would likely make the current search feel alot more like the search we we had before the upgrade and it was far less functional than what we have now. That said we have some other possible solutions that I are looking at for this.

In the mean time if a 3 letter string is absolutely needed for a search that you need to do on FlyerTalk you can still use the FT Google search for this:

http://www.flyertalk.com/google_search.php

Thanks again for your input on the search.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.