Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

Disruptive 2019 Ads on Mobile Device - Please Post SCREEN SHOTS

Disruptive 2019 Ads on Mobile Device - Please Post SCREEN SHOTS

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 2, 19, 11:52 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
There are separate threads for mobile devices as well as for disruptive advertisements and for browser redirects / hijacks, as well as other technical issues. Thank you for keeping the thread on topic and assisting Tech to identify, troubleshoot and deal with bugs in this latest iteration of FlyerTalk for mobile devices.

cblaisd and JDiver, forum Co-Moderators

PLEASE POST SCREENSHOTS of the FULL SCREEN and report your DEVICE TYPE, OPERATING SYSTEM, BROWSER TYPE AND VERSIONS, and COUNTRY where you are browsing from in your post.This thread is strictly for the reporting of disruptive ads, including unwanted popups, page hijscks, malware attempts, etc. related to ad content on your MOBILE devicePlease refrain from discussion or speculation about technical issues if they are not reports as specified here.

We apologize for bad ads; these often come through third party ad servers placing insufficiently vetted ads through our advertisement content providers. We continuously strive to address and solve this widespread issue more proactively and quickly. Thank you for alerting us and for your patience!

Please see this Wired article for further reading on this ongoing publishing industry issue (it's not just FlyerTalk):
We understand disruptive advertisements lessen the enjoyment of your FlyerTalk browsing experience. Please post all disruptive advertisement reports here; your full report (see above) will assist Internet Brands / FlyerTalk in handling these expeditiously. Admin / Tech attempts to respond to all reports speedily, but eliminating problem adverts may require communication with advertisements suppliers or devising technical solutions that may require time. (Internet Brands operates during customary and usual work hours on the U. S. West Coast; holidays, weekends, etc. are observed.)

To see how to include a screen shot in your post, once you have taken the screen shot follow the instructions "Inserting a photo or image from your device into a post:" in the first post in the thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/techn...mage-post.html

NOTE: Internet Brands and FlyerTalk discourage the use of software that modifies your FlyerTalk browsing experience (e.g. ad blocking software). IB / FT declines all responsibility for the use of such software and can not provide support or assistance if such software is used. As well, we remind you IB / FT can only provide FlyerTalk free to members because of the financial support of advertisers; using ad blockers denies IB / FT income that would normally pay for your free community membership and browsing experience..

Posts advocating, suggesting, or recommending use of ad blocking etc. software will be summarily deleted.

Link to Archive of 2018 posts.

Link to Archive of 2017 posts

Link to Archive of older posts pre-2017.
Print Wikipost

Old Oct 24, 19, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IBJoel View Post
Our ad team thought they blocked it, but since it is still showing up, they need a little more data: If you click on the Blue X in the upper right, it should open a link with more info about the ad and which ad network is serving it (it should NOT be a link to the vape company's site). Please screenshot all of the information on that page and post it here so I can give it to the ad team.
Blue X? On the ad? I donít see it. Here is the ad I saw just before posting my message this morning.

Old Oct 31, 19, 2:33 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge
2019 Secret Santa

Programs: Some
On my laptop

Old Oct 31, 19, 3:46 pm
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
Originally Posted by offerendum View Post
Thank you! Reported.
offerendum likes this.
Old Nov 2, 19, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Still getting vape ads. Seems only late night and weekends.
Old Nov 2, 19, 2:07 pm

Programs: ex-Con *Gold (earned)
I'm seeing politically slanted ads even when not browsing the OMNI/PR forum. This is a clear violation of the forum rules. If I can't mention those trumptards outside of OMNI/PR, the advertisers shouldn't either. Gander meet Goose.

Old Nov 4, 19, 11:21 am
Administrator

Originally Posted by kale73 View Post
I'm seeing politically slanted ads even when not browsing the OMNI/PR forum. This is a clear violation of the forum rules. If I can't mention those trumptards outside of OMNI/PR, the advertisers shouldn't either. Gander meet Goose.
So a couple of things: #1 is that this is not actually a political ad. Or at least not one (very likely to be) funded by a campaign or PAC. If you look at the URL in the bottom right, it links to "lowermybills.com". It's a financial site. They just use buzzwords/geotargeting to get your attention. It could just as well say "Florida/Minnesota/Whatever homebuyers can save $6,000". I got ones during the Obama administration that were pretty similar and Yahoo had/has a lot of them.

Also, if you do spend a lot of time in OMNI (or just read the news, really), the ad algorithm likely picks out the word "Trump" from your browsing history and uses that to key in what ad it wants to serve you. Finally, that ad is through a third party network (notice the blue triangle in the upper right corner). If you you click on that triangle, it should take you to an ad network page (not the advertiser's site), where you should be able to select something like "I don't want to see this ad".
Old Nov 4, 19, 12:03 pm

Programs: ex-Con *Gold (earned)
Originally Posted by IBJoel View Post
If you you click on that triangle, it should take you to an ad network page (not the advertiser's site), where you should be able to select something like "I don't want to see this ad".
Thank you. I've resolved the issue.
Old Nov 8, 19, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Still getting vape ads, every night. Since IB seems to be ignoring this issue, I think this issue deserves wider media scrutiny. Since FT is open to minors, this blatant advertising to them is unconscionable.
Old Nov 8, 19, 11:13 am
Administrator

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero View Post
Still getting vape ads, every night. Since IB seems to be ignoring this issue, I think this issue deserves wider media scrutiny. Since FT is open to minors, this blatant advertising to them is unconscionable.
So this is how advertising works on FT (and most other sites): Our sales team sells adspace. Any space they do not sell is filled by a third party, such as Google AdSense, which we do not control as much. So they basically fill our remaining adspace based on a combination of our site demographics and individual users' browsing history. We can and have banned the entire "tobacco" category for advertising and. Vape products are not considered part of that (in fact, they can advertise on television currently in the US).

Since you said you see them mostly later at night, it seems that whichever third party is hosting them is exercising some discretion in their display. It is also important to remember that no two users will have the same ad experience. Unfortunately, we have limited options without being able to get the ad on-screen in the office, something which we have as yet been unable to do, despite testing.
Old Nov 13, 19, 6:03 pm

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life
I am automatically being taken to what looks like malware when refreshing FT on Chrome. I appreciate that FT needs ad revenue, but there is a security issue and not just on mobile browsers. It has happened twice today.

Last edited by IBJoel; Nov 14, 19 at 3:51 pm Reason: mentioning adblocker
Old Nov 14, 19, 3:52 pm
Administrator

Originally Posted by itsmeitisss View Post
I am automatically being taken to what looks like malware when refreshing FT on Chrome. I appreciate that FT needs ad revenue, but there is a security issue and not just on mobile browsers. It has happened twice today.
Can you please post a screenshot of what you're seeing?

Search this Thread