Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

Change user name / username / handle: Can I? How?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 23, 2015, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Can I / How do I change my user name / username / handle?

FAQ: Can I change my FlyerTalk handle? <Link>

We will allow you as a ONE TIME courtesy to change your handle. To do so you must email a FlyerTalk administrator* with three username options and a valid reason for wanting to change your handle. You will be asked to keep your old username in your title line for a period of time, depending on the amount of posts that you already have. This will ensure that we avoid any confusion in the community and that your reputation is carried over to your new handle. This is strictly a ONE TIME offer to members, so please think carefully before asking! We do not change handles if you have over 500 posts.

*To request a change, you can send a Private Message (PM) to our Community Director at NWIFlyer and Administrator IBJoel.

Read on, please.

From the FlyerTalk FAQ here:

What if someone has a similar handle to what I'd like to use?

We do a quick check of all new handle requests and if the one you seek is too close to an existing user we will generally ask you to select something less similar. A new user called Randy Peterson would not be approved for example as it may be confused with Randy Petersen. Similarly, Detroit 1K or Detroit_1K would likely not be approved if we already have a Detroit1K registered etc. If any member advises us a new handle appears too similar to an existing one, we will ask the two members to try and amicably work out a solution and advise us of that, before becoming involved.

Can I change my FlyerTalk handle?

The short answer is NO. In general the handle you registered with is the one you are known by during your time in this Community. However, if for instance you started two years back as FargoFlyer and are now based in Tampa, we will allow you as a ONE TIME courtesy to change your handle. To do so you must email a FlyerTalk admin with three username options and a valid reason for wanting to change your handle. You will be asked to keep your old username in your title line for a period of time, depending on the amount of posts that you already have. This will ensure that we avoid any confusion in the community and that your reputation is carried over to your new handle. This is only available to members with fewer than 500 posts and is strictly a ONE TIME offer to members, so please think carefully before asking! (Though the Community Director and Admin will carefully consider other reasons, they're pretty conservative about the issue.)
From the FlyerTalk Rules:

1. Usernames Link to this Rule: http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#usernames

To post on FlyerTalk, you must register for an account and select a username. The following rules apply to usernames:
  • Usernames cannot be a URL or an email address.

• They must contain only characters of the Roman alphabet and/or Arabic numerals.

• They are subject to all the other rules of FlyerTalk (e.g. those that forbid the furthering of illegal or fraudulent activities, the use of profanity, vulgarity, hatred, abusiveness and harassment). In other words, appropriateness is required.

• For privacy purposes, it is strongly recommended that you not use your real name in your username.

• If your username is long, please incorporate spaces so that it does not distort the column width, or it may be changed by an administrator.

• Travel industry professionals who are registering an account in order to post in an official capacity on behalf of their employer or company can be identified across FlyerTalk by their green-colored username. In order to obtain such an official designation, please contact the Community Director.

• You may not use multiple usernames and doing so will subject you to suspension of all usernames you have registered. The only exception to this rule is approved travel industry professionals, who may also have a personal username in addition to their official company username. Contact the Community Director for such approval.

• Should you have second thoughts regarding your choice of a username, one-time changes can be arranged by contacting the Community Director.
Possibly the greatest percentage of handle change requests come from those who signed up for FlyerTalk using their name as a handle (e.g. Susie Q. Smith); for privacy purposes, many would encourage a change to a more protective and anonymizing handle such as SQJetFlyer.

Hint: You can see if your desired handle is in use by filling out the PM form and seeing if the handle auto fills or not, or if there is an existing handle that could be confusing because it's very close to what you're testing. After, simply discard the PM.

The process: PM NWIFlyer (Community Director) and IBJoel (Administrator) with your request and the reason for it, as posted above.

If granted, all previous and new posts will reflect your new handle, and there will be a note reflecting your old handle for a period of one to six months (depending on your tenure and number of posts on FlyerTalk); this assures post continuity and transparency to the membership.

Don't expect handle changes to be granted for trivial reasons. Changing handles is disruptive to FlyerTalk's continuity and post trails.

Print Wikipost

Change user name / username / handle: Can I? How?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2012, 1:07 am
Original Poster

Arrow Change user name / username / handle: Can I? How?

I want to change my account - and to do this I need to close and remove this account. I can't see any way to do this anywhere?

I used the "contact us" form to contact the site moderators/administrators - to do what I wanted to do with the current account - but sadly did not receive a response......

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 23, 2015 at 1:58 pm Reason: Preserve original post title
Old Feb 16, 2012, 3:33 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
What do you want to change? If you want to change your member name (aka Handle) a simple request via 'contact us' or a PM to IBobi will do.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 6:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oliver2002
What do you want to change? If you want to change your member name (aka Handle) a simple request via 'contact us' or a PM to IBobi will do.
Yeah - I sent a request via "contact us" but no response - will try again!

Thanks
Old Mar 5, 2012, 3:23 pm
Formerly known as tpaguy

Change user id

Hello,

I created an account when I was in Tampa and hence my user id is tpaguy.

Now that I moved to DC area, I would like someone to change my user id to IADguy or CapitalGuy

Some one please
IBobi likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 3:46 pm

Is it possible to change username/ID?
Old Mar 5, 2012, 3:47 pm
Community Director Emerita

Requests should go to IBobi or to me. A reason should be given for the desired name change.
IBobi likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 7:44 am

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Change Username?

Can I change my username from 601 to Error 601?

It is supposed to be a reference to the Andromeda Strain rather than an area code in Mississippi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqznuOXg4Cc

Thanks,
Old Jul 13, 2012, 7:50 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
You should send a message to IBobi and SanDiego1K with your request.

Originally Posted by 601
Can I change my username from 601 to Error 601?

It is supposed to be a reference to the Andromeda Strain rather than an area code in Mississippi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqznuOXg4Cc

Thanks,
activist3530 likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 8:28 am

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Thanks, I will do that.
Old May 8, 2013, 8:25 am
Used to be randysng1984

Can I change my username?

Hi, is it possible to change my username? After becoming more involved in flyertalk forums, I realise my username is providing too much of my personal info, am I'm not really comfortable with it. Please advice.. thanks
Old May 8, 2013, 9:06 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Yes, please see:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/faq.p..._change_handle

And then use the following form:

http://www.flyertalk.com/help/feedbacktxt.php
Old May 8, 2013, 9:12 am
Used to be randysng1984

wow.. appreciate it, tks!!
Old Mar 25, 2014, 12:51 am

Programs: HH - Diamond BA - Blue
Changing username

Hi there,

not long setup my account. I stupidly used the sign up with Facebook method, which seems to have set you username/display name as my full name from Facebook.

I would rather this is a bit more vague, so is it possible to change it? I can't see anywhere obvious in the setting page.

Apologies, I'm sure this has been asked already. Still getting to grips with the search on here.

Last edited by lifetimeblue; Dec 16, 2015 at 3:45 pm
Old Mar 25, 2014, 4:40 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Yes, please see:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/faq.p..._change_handle

And then use the following form:

http://www.flyertalk.com/help/feedbacktxt.php

If you enter "change username" in the search box, you will find the other threads on this topic.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 7:21 am

Programs: AAdvantage; HHonors; US Air Dividend Miles
Question Edit Username

Is it possible to Edit my Username?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.