Reload this Page >

Periodic FT issues (crash, Cloudflare, database errors) - DDoS attack, cf wiki

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 26, 2018, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
FlyerTalk Up, Down, Crash, DDoS, Database Error, etc.

Thursday July 26, 2018, FlyerTalk was under a DDoS / Distributed Denial of Service attack; it seems to be persisting since then. Cloudflare services are keeping the site up, but you may see errors, page call intercepts and delays while the attack is ongoing.

If you are posting content, select all and copy prior to saving or posting to prevent losing your work. Then you can still post it after overcoming the redirect.

For further information on Cloudflare and its workings, see Post #82 by plunet.

FlyerTalk up or down troubles? Check by using: http://isup.me- or http://www.isitdown.us, http://www.doj.me.

Or use this direct link - http://downorisitjustme.com/res.php?url=flyertalk.com

If it is just you, try: reloading the page; emptying your cache; deleting one or more cookies; quitting and restarting your browser or trying an alternate or shutting down and rebooting your device.

Print Wikipost

Periodic FT issues (crash, Cloudflare, database errors) - DDoS attack, cf wiki

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2018, 10:31 am
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
Originally Posted by TWCLAM
Hi IT / Admin I know you've been having issues last couple days and don't wish to add to them but could one of you PM about a sec breach I will spotted. Don't want to put details in open forum for obvious details but feel free to PM me or use the email registered to my account and will send you details.

Relative Newbie here so wasn't sure who to reach out to. Any knowledgeable FTs who know who is good for such things please tag them / make them aware if you would be so kind

Thanks in advance
Sure thing, you can PM it to me. No one was intentionally ignoring you, we just aren't in the office on Saturdays.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 11:08 am

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
IBJoel - will send one over to you. Understand the machinations of the site a little more and again apologies for the perceived saltiness which wasn't my intention.

*** Update: Jdiver has responded to me & said he will pass the info' over to y'all so rather than duplicate things will leave it to him ***
JDiver and IBJoel like this.

Last edited by TWCLAM; Jul 30, 2018 at 11:11 am Reason: Updating
Old Jul 30, 2018, 11:10 am
Administrator

Originally Posted by bldr1k
I don't understand the Cloudflare implementation. I use dozens of websites protected by Cloudflare and none of them require me to wait for 5 (or more) seconds while it checks my browser. Is this some kind of throttling?
Originally Posted by josephstern
I'd guess that's just what happens when you go to a Cloudflare-protected site during a heavy, active DDoS attack.
This is correct. We experienced a DDoS attack, so Cloudflare went into "high alert"
Old Jul 30, 2018, 12:04 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Fwiw, I did not get CF when I logged in just a few moments ago (and I had recently cleared my cache, cookies and history before logging in)
Old Jul 30, 2018, 12:17 pm
Administrator

Cloudflare should be all good now. Threat has passed, so its response was lowered.
JDiver and jackal like this.

Last edited by IBobi; Jul 30, 2018 at 12:22 pm
Old Jul 30, 2018, 12:22 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
We should caution that this doesn't mean CF won't be needed again at any moment, just that for right now there should be fewer service interruptions that there have been.
JDiver, jackal and IBJoel like this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Just glad IB had it there when needed! And next time, if there is one, we will be more understanding/informed
JDiver likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 1:55 pm

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by T8191
Just glad IB had it there when needed! And next time, if there is one, we will be more understanding/informed
Agreed ^ and agreed ^
IBJoel likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 5:25 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I’m so happy that’s over! Though Cloudflare can be a PITA it’s a small price to pay for a full DDoS crash - and this DDoS went on ~4 days. A pox on whoever was behind it.
DenverBrian, dorisrpas and IBJoel like this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 5:10 am
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
Database Errors are back for me today, having to reload 5/6 times to get a page to open!
Old Aug 2, 2018, 5:11 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by travelwithross
Database Errors are back for me today, having to reload 5/6 times to get a page to open!
Same here.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 6:24 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Seems the attack is back, or new, this morning as I'm getting the 5+ second CF message again.
florens likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 9:47 am
Administrator

Anyone still getting database errors? Those are usually different than DDoS's.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 9:50 am
Suspended

Programs: Lowest level possible
I saw database errors early in the morning, but nothing lately.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by IBJoel
Anyone still getting database errors? Those are usually different than DDoS's.
Didn't have any nor did I get "cloudfared" when I logged in earlier this morning at 07:17* and when I logged in a few moments ago (approx 09:40*)

*Pacific time

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.