Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

Periodic FT issues (crash, Cloudflare, database errors) - DDoS attack, cf wiki

Old Jul 26, 2018, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
FlyerTalk Up, Down, Crash, DDoS, Database Error, etc.

Thursday July 26, 2018, FlyerTalk was under a DDoS / Distributed Denial of Service attack; it seems to be persisting since then. Cloudflare services are keeping the site up, but you may see errors, page call intercepts and delays while the attack is ongoing.

If you are posting content, select all and copy prior to saving or posting to prevent losing your work. Then you can still post it after overcoming the redirect.

For further information on Cloudflare and its workings, see Post #82 by plunet.

FlyerTalk up or down troubles? Check by using: http://isup.me- or http://www.isitdown.us, http://www.doj.me.

Or use this direct link - http://downorisitjustme.com/res.php?url=flyertalk.com

If it is just you, try: reloading the page; emptying your cache; deleting one or more cookies; quitting and restarting your browser or trying an alternate or shutting down and rebooting your device.

Print Wikipost

Periodic FT issues (crash, Cloudflare, database errors) - DDoS attack, cf wiki

Old Jul 29, 2018, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

is it impossible to post a new thread??

edit - ah, seems to happen randomly

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 29, 2018 at 1:17 pm
Old Jul 29, 2018, 1:29 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Cookie needed ?

Recently on OS X Safari I get the following message every time I go to my flyer talk page:

Checking your browser before accessing flyertalk.com.

It stays up for a few seconds then I get my flyer talk page. It adds to browser history. It is new feature that is rather annoying and seems like it could be solved with a cookie setting.

Oh and this is hilarious, I got the above after trying to post the message.
Traveller likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 1:40 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Will move this from the Suggestion Box to the appropriate thread in the Technical Support forum.

cblaisd, Co-Moderator
Old Jul 29, 2018, 1:54 pm

Thanks all. I spent part of July 26 in the air and then unpacking after a 6 week trip. ( and sleeping) - so I missed all the explanation.
IBJoel likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 2:09 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by T8191
I confess that only Ads I ever open are ones I hit with fat fingers, and I usually ‘go back’ before they open. Sorry, Intenet Brands
FlyerTalk will get a small amount of money for every advert you could have seen on the page. They get paid more if you click through, whether it is intentional or not. And possibly more again if that click converts to a purchase.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 8:19 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
I don't understand the Cloudflare implementation. I use dozens of websites protected by Cloudflare and none of them require me to wait for 5 (or more) seconds while it checks my browser. Is this some kind of throttling?
Old Jul 29, 2018, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bldr1k
I don't understand the Cloudflare implementation. I use dozens of websites protected by Cloudflare and none of them require me to wait for 5 (or more) seconds while it checks my browser. Is this some kind of throttling?
I'd guess that's just what happens when you go to a Cloudflare-protected site during a heavy, active DDoS attack.
IBJoel likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 12:48 am

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
NOT DDoS / CF Security Threat

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Why would you not post further details? Kind of pointless without. Are you referring to the 'Checking Your Browser' message?

Because it's a potential security issue and whilst i'm sure everyone here are all nice people as it is a potential hole that places account integrity at risk maybe it's best to talk about that potential hole behind closed doors to the correct people so they can fix it rather than telling the whole world what it is and where to go to find it It has NOTHING to do with the cloudflare message but as I was ignored / nobody approached me i'll crack on and leave y'all to it.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 1:55 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by TWCLAM
Because it's a potential security issue and whilst i'm sure everyone here are all nice people as it is a potential hole that places account integrity at risk maybe it's best to talk about that potential hole behind closed doors to the correct people so they can fix it rather than telling the whole world what it is and where to go to find it It has NOTHING to do with the cloudflare message but as I was ignored / nobody approached me i'll crack on and leave y'all to it.
Their focus might have been distracted elsewhere with the DDoS. Try sending a PM to @JDiver or any other mod on here.
TWCLAM likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 2:00 am

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
Originally Posted by plunet
Their focus might have been distracted elsewhere with the DDoS. Try sending a PM to @JDiver or any other mod on here.

Understandable of course and with a few names i'll fire one to them. TY for your help.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Terrible to visit FT at the moment, my browseris "checked" all the time.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 4:15 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by TWCLAM
I was ignored / nobody approached me i'll crack on and leave y'all to it.
The staff at IB are the true administrators of this site; moderators are volunteers and have no oversight over technical operations. The IB staff normally are active during US business days and hours in the Pacific Time Zone. I suggest you either use the generic "Contact Us" function https://www.flyertalk.com/help/feedbacktxt.php or reach out to @IBobi or @IBJoel.
JDiver, jackal and TWCLAM like this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 5:01 am

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Opera

For some, this Cloudflare thing may be more than just annoying. I've been using the Opera browser on my phone to access FT and Cloudflare is blocking entry completely. Seems it cannot "check my browser" at all.

Moreover, when trying to post this on FT using Safari, the post was lost and a blank screen appeared instead.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
The staff at IB are the true administrators of this site; moderators are volunteers and have no oversight over technical operations. The IB staff normally are active during US business days and hours in the Pacific Time Zone. I suggest you either use the generic "Contact Us" function https://www.flyertalk.com/help/feedbacktxt.php or reach out to @IBobi or @IBJoel.
Yes that part maybe came across a bit more salty than intended. Thank you as well and I have fired off a PM regarding it.
FlyinHawaiian and IBJoel like this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 6:10 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
I'll take the security Sometime last year, I tried to logon to FT to find out I was permanently suspended-I guess in high school terms that meant expelled. The issue was that a ton of fake accounts had been set up to spam FT the night before. One with a very similar handle to mine. I got caught up in the sweep to get rid of them. Fortunately, Mrs. Vker has an account and was able to help get me "freed" very quickly.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.