Reload this Page >

Periodic FT issues (crash, Cloudflare, database errors) - DDoS attack, cf wiki

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 26, 2018, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
FlyerTalk Up, Down, Crash, DDoS, Database Error, etc.

Thursday July 26, 2018, FlyerTalk was under a DDoS / Distributed Denial of Service attack; it seems to be persisting since then. Cloudflare services are keeping the site up, but you may see errors, page call intercepts and delays while the attack is ongoing.

If you are posting content, select all and copy prior to saving or posting to prevent losing your work. Then you can still post it after overcoming the redirect.

For further information on Cloudflare and its workings, see Post #82 by plunet.

FlyerTalk up or down troubles? Check by using: http://isup.me- or http://www.isitdown.us, http://www.doj.me.

Or use this direct link - http://downorisitjustme.com/res.php?url=flyertalk.com

If it is just you, try: reloading the page; emptying your cache; deleting one or more cookies; quitting and restarting your browser or trying an alternate or shutting down and rebooting your device.

Print Wikipost

Periodic FT issues (crash, Cloudflare, database errors) - DDoS attack, cf wiki

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2018, 11:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It is Cloudflare doing the checking. It is making sure you're a real human and not a bot. And I'm getting it a lot more today as well.

I'm also getting a bunch of database errors today.

See also: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/tech...os-screen.html
jackal and HIDDY like this.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 11:41 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by sbm12
It is Cloudflare doing the checking. It is making sure you're a real human and not a bot. And I'm getting it a lot more today as well.

I'm also getting a bunch of database errors today.

See also: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/tech...os-screen.html

Ditto
Old Jul 26, 2018, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by IBobi
Nothing we can do about this one, folks. It'll stop when the attack ends.

Just FYI, we pay Cloudflare a lot of $ to keep the site up during these attacks. They're our protector.
Thanks for the clarification ^

Oh, well, back to Angry Birds and War Robots!
Old Jul 26, 2018, 11:44 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
There is a DDoS / Distributed Denial of Service attack on (at least) FlyerTalk and PPRuNe today. Cloudflare is a service that fights and suppressed DDoS. Until the attack is ended, we will likely be getting Database Error messages or / and Cloudflare intercepts - the latter can end in a frustrating redirect to the FT main page.

If you’re posting anything, select all and copy, so you don’t lose your work if you get a redirect.

IB Admin is well aware of the issue and it is being worked on.

Thank you for your patience.

JDiver, Co-Moderator
T8191, wrp96 and Antarius like this.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 11:45 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
It has to do with Cloudflare...

See admin's most recent reply from the other thread:

Originally Posted by IBobi
Just FYI, we pay Cloudflare a lot of $ to keep the site up during these attacks. They're our protector.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by lin821
Thanks. I saw that thread and didn't suspect from the title that it was related.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Maybe a horribly stupid question from me, but what would be beneficial of a hacker doing something with FT?
IBJoel likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 2:09 pm
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Maybe a horribly stupid question from me, but what would be beneficial of a hacker doing something with FT?
shrug.gif
Old Jul 26, 2018, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by IBJoel
shrug.gif
I can see it now. "Hey guys, we hacked a very popular website, used by travel obsessed individuals and confirmed they are obsessed with how to travel."
Old Jul 26, 2018, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by IBJoel
shrug.gif
Came here to research and comment on this issue. Yes I understand what it is. It's still annoying. I would expect a more serious response from a/the IB representative, something more than just "whatever".
Old Jul 26, 2018, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I've read about Cloudflare in the news recently.

Not for the best reasons...I'll let others google it if they want.

FT is up, so whatever they do seems to be working.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Being a jackass. Logic doesn't always prevail.

Can we make this a sticky or announcement across all boards? Didn't know what was going on till I googled 'cloudflare flyertalk' after getting errors all day.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by zitsky
Came here to research and comment on this issue. Yes I understand what it is. It's still annoying. I would expect a more serious response from a/the IB representative, something more than just "whatever".
The shrug wasn't about the issue. it was in response to the post wondering why someone would DDOS FT.
EDIflyer likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius
The shrug wasn't about the issue. it was in response to the post wondering why someone would DDOS FT.
I get that. My comment stands. This is a DDOS, not a hack per se. Still, what is IB doing to protect this site and protect our personal info, including passwords? This deserves more than a shrug. Whatever.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 4:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by zitsky
I get that. My comment stands. This is a DDOS, not a hack per se. Still, what is IB doing to protect this site and protect our personal info, including passwords? This deserves more than a shrug. Whatever.
Does DDOS threaten any passwords or personal data? I thought it just takes websites down (although I'm definitely no expert).

In any case, if you *are* an expert, you'll surely have different passwords on every single website account you access, so nothing to worry about...
EDIflyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.