Flyertalk is burning up my Mac

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 7, 2020, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Originally Posted by BlooJoo
Any update here? I continue to get "This webpage is using significant energy. Closing it may improve the responsiveness of your Mac." on every FT page after about one minute. I don't have this problem with Chrome or Edge, but it's consistent on Safari. Thanks.
Originally Posted by Tanic
That condition occurs occasionally on my MacBook Pro using Safari. One of the culprits seems to be "Disnoted".

When you get the significant energy message, check the Activity Monitor. If Disnoted appears select it and Force Quit. After a while, the fan slows down and things return to normal. Quitting Disnoted does not seem to have any adverse impact. It will return in a few days to repeat the cycle.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2018, 10:29 pm
Original Poster

I opened a few tabs on flyertalk, e.g. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...advantage-733/ and https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi...siness-24.html and then went to get ready for bed. When I got back 10 minutes later my laptop was too hot to touch. I checked activity monitor and saw this:

Of course my first gues is cryptocurrency mining, but can anyone confirm or deny? Any chance you could dial it down so that I can hold my laptop without burning myself?
Old Jun 21, 2018, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Are you using a Macbook Air?
Old Jun 21, 2018, 10:53 am
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
We are working with our ad and tech teams to reduce data usage of our pages.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Its been an ongoing issue for months.. not just Mac, but on PCs on multiple browsers. Open a FT page and the video ads max out a a core of the processor for each page/tab you have open.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 9:59 pm
Original Poster

I appreciate your attention to this issue. I wanted to report that this is still happening with some regularity both on my i7 MacBook Pro and my iPhone. On the Mac it becomes warm to the touch and the fans kick in at max speed. On the iPhone it becomes too hot to hold comfortably.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:33 am
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
Originally Posted by _kurt
I appreciate your attention to this issue. I wanted to report that this is still happening with some regularity both on my i7 MacBook Pro and my iPhone. On the Mac it becomes warm to the touch and the fans kick in at max speed. On the iPhone it becomes too hot to hold comfortably.
Hi Kurt,

Do you experience overheating on other media-intensive sites? Gizmodo sites and Netflix come to mind. Do you experience it on the FT homepage?
_kurt likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 8:04 am

Just to add to this thread, my Mac Air has the same issues when using Safari to access FT. It's fine when using Chrome though. Seems to be some sort of compatibility issue? Safari now comes up with a warning that this webpage is using significant memory. Can't type responses to anything without sitting and watching the computer type the words about ten secs after I have actually hit the keys!!

And no, I have no issues on Safari with any other site. In fact, I can flick over to another open tab on another website and it runs fine.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
I'm using iMac.
FT page is sluggish to start off, and then I always get a warning "This webpage is using significant memory" on top of the FT page.
I checked memory and the FT page is using more than 1GB memory! I can't leave the tab open just because the FT page use lots of memory.
Can I switch back to one older version somewhere?
Old Nov 23, 2018, 8:27 pm
formerly dave h.

Location: Seattle - it's not Hell, but you can SEA it from here!
Programs: SkyMiles, IHG nobody, HH nobody
I always get the "script stopped running" and "page not responding" errors with a total lock up. Win 8 on a Dell at work. no problems on my iMac at home.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 11:24 am

It would be great if someone from ft were to respond to this thread and explain what is being done to sort this issue out?
Old Nov 26, 2018, 11:48 am
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Hi all,

This issue has been reported to our tech team, and is actively being investigated. My best advice for now is to clear cache and cookies regularly.

Thank you,

--Admin
Old Dec 11, 2018, 7:32 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Is there an update to this issue?

Every time I get on FlyerTalk, within five minutes I get the dreaded pinwheel spinning constantly which locks me out. No other site gives me this problem. To get back to FlyerTalk, I have to close the browser and start over. Not every time but regularly I also receive the warning "This webpage is using significant memory". This is also only on FlyerTalk.

I am using a MacBook Pro running macOS Mojave 10.14.1 and Safari 12.0.1
Old Dec 12, 2018, 11:27 am
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
I'm sorry, I don't have any new information. Please refer to the post above yours re: clearing cache. Also try not to have a tab running FT open on your browser for too long if this is happening to you; you can go to your Task Manager and force the shutdown of the affected browser, then restart it -- that usually works in my experience.
JDiver likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 1:58 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
I have the same problem on FT and had wondered if it was the result of browsing on my four-year-old Mac, but even after replacing it with a brand-new 2018 Mac Mini, I still routinely see the spinning pinwheel, my FT tab freezes, and Activity Monitor reports that FT is using over 100% of my CPU's power.

This is literally the only time my new CPU is taxed -- not to mention the only website doing it.

I realize you've reported it, and I don't mean to pile on, but something is seriously amiss with your site code and/or ad configuration.
_kurt likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 7:53 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

People with this problem might try turning off javascript and see if that helps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.