Reload this Page >

NEW FlyerTalk mobile skin update 9 January 2018

Old Jan 9, 2018, 5:08 pm
No longer with Internet Brands
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat

In the NEW mobile skin, we have made it easier for you to navigate on FlyerTalk Forums! For example, on the main forum page you will be able to expand and collapse forum headings to access subforums within (with out loading another page like before).

We’ve also made some improvements to the sub-forum pages where you can start browsing different threads in a much cleaner lay out with segmented color coded sections.

These changes are designed to be small, incremental improvements to make it easier to differentiate different types of forum text content, and make browsing easier on your mobile device.

Please let us know if you have any issues or concerns.

Old Jan 9, 2018, 5:16 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Playing around right now and at first glance I like it.

Only issue I have encountered that is: Unread posts are as usual bold, however clicking on them does not jump to the last unread post. It takes you to page 1 out of x and then you have to start searching for where you last read up to.
quantumofforce and Kiara like this.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 5:31 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by gilbertaue
Playing around right now and at first glance I like it.

Only issue I have encountered that is: Unread posts are as usual bold, however clicking on them does not jump to the last unread post. It takes you to page 1 out of x and then you have to start searching for where you last read up to.
​​​​​​​This. Very pretty but a nuisance to navigate.
florens likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 5:41 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
From the subscription page, in the mobile skin

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/subscription.php

1. Tapping on a thread with new activity brings me to the first post in the thread, instead of the first new post. Granted, once I'm on the first page, the "view first unread" link works, but it's an extra step, extra page loading time, and the old behavior is a nicer experience.

2. Perhaps related, in the same subscription view, it shows the original poster of the thread. I wouldn't swear to it but I feel like it used to show the most recent or perhaps first new poster, which IMO is more interesting/useful

unrelated to the recent changes, but as long as I'm posting, my other top mobile skin related feature requests would be

3. add similar "tools" capabilities to the mobile skin that are present in the desktop site, specifically the ability to subscribe and unsubscribe to a thread. This could perhaps go in the "+More" menu.

4. Add a way to search only within the currently viewed thread again similar to what you can do in the desktop site.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Zorak

3. add similar "tools" capabilities to the mobile skin that are present in the desktop site, specifically the ability to subscribe and unsubscribe to a thread. This could perhaps go in the "+More" menu.
You can subscribe to threads from mobile; just hit the yellow star next to the title to subscribe/unsubscribe.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 6:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RadioGirl
This. Very pretty but a nuisance to navigate.

1. Tapping on a thread with new activity brings me to the first post in the thread, instead of the first new post. Granted, once I'm on the first page, the "view first unread" link works, but it's an extra step, extra page loading time, and the old behavior is a nicer experience.
This change was deliberate -- now you can tap the thread title to go to the first post, or tap the "Last Post" arrow underneath the thread title and go to the most recent post. I realize that's not exactly "go to first unread" but our data shows that this is closer to what most forum users wanted out of mobile browsing.

You may also tap the thread title, which takes you to the first post, and below the title once you are in the thread you'll see a link to "View First Unread" which disappears after you've viewed the thread again.

Last edited by IBobi; Jan 9, 2018 at 6:16 pm
Old Jan 9, 2018, 6:29 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by IBobi
This change was deliberate -- now you can tap the thread title to go to the first post, or tap the "Last Post" arrow underneath the thread title and go to the most recent post. I realize that's not exactly "go to first unread" but our data shows that this is closer to what most forum users wanted out of mobile browsing.
Really??? If I haven't read a thread for a few days (or even overnight in Australia while there's a lot of activity from other time zones), there can be a lot of posts to catch up on. I don't want the most recent post, I want to pick up where I left off. I can't be the only one...

You may also tap the thread title, which takes you to the first post, and below the title once you are in the thread you'll see a link to "View First Unread" which disappears after you've viewed the thread again.
Great, another step and another wait for another page to download. Not impressed.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 6:51 pm
Accor 10+ BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by RadioGirl
Really??? If I haven't read a thread for a few days (or even overnight in Australia while there's a lot of activity from other time zones), there can be a lot of posts to catch up on. I don't want the most recent post, I want to pick up where I left off. I can't be the only one...

This.

I get it that most people browsing non native forums may want to jump to the end. But if what is wanted is to get people to continue discussions in the threads they feel at home in, I want to continue from where I last stopped. That is why you leave a bookmark in your book. You don't flip to the index and then figure out what page you were on last... neither do you open to the book on the last page and flip backwards looking for where the page had a crease.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 6:53 pm

We seem to take data speeds for granted... If I am on the road in Indonesia and want to catch up on FT discussions, there is nothing worse than unnecessary loading of pages I don't actually want to go to.
RadioGirl and fransknorge like this.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 7:00 pm

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
You can subscribe to threads from mobile; just hit the yellow star next to the title to subscribe/unsubscribe.
Ah, thanks -- didn't occur to me to try that! A menu item would still be nice though, for those for whom this is not intuitive.

Sorry, that's patently ridiculous. You have data showing that users reading threads that they've previously already visited want to start from post #1 , every single time they return to the thread? This doesn't pass the smell test. Perhaps I misunderstood what you meant?
Old Jan 9, 2018, 7:18 pm

FT mobile site take me to page one instead of the last unread post of thread

I noticed the new "skin" on the mobile site, and when I open a thread it now starts at page one instead of the last unread post... am I doing it wrong? What should I do different.

Thanks,
Q
Old Jan 9, 2018, 7:22 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K

I thought user interface design was about minimizing clicks (taps in this case). I never care to see the first post in subscribed threads. I subscribed because I already know why its about and want to read the most recent ​​​​​​, unread posts
florens likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 7:34 pm

Update for like-minded folk:

This change was deliberate -- now you can tap the thread title to go to the first post, or tap the "Last Post" arrow underneath the thread title and go to the most recent post.
Here's the desktop site. We're referring to the blue square arrow next to the thread title, yes?

Mobile format. No arrow. BUT!! That envelope icon, where it says "Notification: None" (and possibly the entire line) serves the same function.

If you tap that, instead of the thread title, it takes you to the most recent post.
apparently it takes you to the last post, not the first unread

I still think the "data" supporting the change in default behavior is BS but at least there's a way to get what we want (pity it was not clearly communicated)

Last edited by Zorak; Jan 9, 2018 at 8:41 pm Reason: correction
Old Jan 9, 2018, 7:52 pm

Update for like-minded folk:

I still think the "data" supporting the change in default behavior is BS but at least there's a way to get what we want (pity it was not clearly communicated)
Yes, and No. Clicking that "None" line takes you now to the latest post (time wise). That is not how it used to be. In a fast moving thread, like some of the OMNI ones, you want to read from where you last shut off. So in the past mobile skin, clicking on "last post" (I think it was called), took you to the post that came immediately after the last one loaded the previous time you went into the thread. That no longer happens.
quantumofforce likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 8:08 pm

Yes, and No. Clicking that "None" line takes you now to the latest post (time wise). That is not how it used to be. In a fast moving thread, like some of the OMNI ones, you want to read from where you last shut off. So in the past mobile skin, clicking on "last post" (I think it was called), took you to the post that came immediately after the last one loaded the previous time you went into the thread. That no longer happens.
Oh, I thought it was first new (as distinct from "absolute latest"). Possibly the threads I tried only had one new post.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.