Feedback on FT new style, March 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Feedback on FT new style, March 2018

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2018, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by IBJoel
The fonts are the same size: 16px. You can even right-click and inspect them.
I'm not that sophisticated. But, when I paste with formatting into a Word or other MS Office doc, I get Helvetica 10.5 bold for the thread index page and Helvetica 11 regular for the thread post body text. And lining them up as below using raw snips off the display shows a difference in height.

I could always be crazy though.
Attached Images  
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 7:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Can't Select from "Forum" Dropdown List- Reverts to "Trending"

If I select the downward arrow on the Forum option on main masthead, it doesn't let me select any of the options, such as "Hotels and Loyalty Programs" from the displayed dropdown menu. Instead it starts loading the "Trending Forum Threads" (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trending.php)
Old Jul 14, 2018, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by arlflyer
I'm not that sophisticated. But, when I paste with formatting into a Word or other MS Office doc, I get Helvetica 10.5 bold for the thread index page and Helvetica 11 regular for the thread post body text. And lining them up as below using raw snips off the display shows a difference in height.

I could always be crazy though.
Like you, and it could be me, but on my My FT page now, the font size looks smaller again for forums that I follow there as you describe.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Font Finder tells me:

Friend Request
Title - 15px
Text - 12px

New PM
Title - 15px
Text - 16px

MyFT Forum list
Heading - 16px
Forum Name -12px
Forum Description - 12px

Regular Forum list
Heading - 16px
Forum name - 16px
Forum Description - 14px

It's like every few weeks there's a font size random number generator that's run.

And my eyes still hurt looking at the color scheme.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 3:31 pm

Programs: DL GM
The fonts are the same size: 16px. You can even right-click and inspect them.
Did *you* right-click and inspect them? The fonts are most certainly not the same size. Just a visual inspection of those two photos side by side should tell you that, but if you need to inspect them, you'll see they're different.

Thread titles within a forum are 14px, forum sub-headers are 15px, overall forum headers are 16px and post text is 16px (see below). Text in the "last post" column that shows when the last post of a thread was and by who is 12px, but replies and views are 16px. Thread titles on the trending threads page are indeed 16px, but the thread titles within a forum itself are 14px.

There is a lot of inconsistency in font sizes across FT and it makes it very difficult on people who scale their browser up or down. On one page you might have a standard readable size and the next you'll need to zoom in 120% to get it readable. This is made substantially worse by the color scheme choices. I've posted about this numerous times in this very thread and it was ignored.
angra, Silver Fox and T8191 like this.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 10:53 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
It happens again: RBP icon turning into text, "Alert a moderator of this post"..."

I reported this problem about 8 days ago. Now it's back again.

What gives on IB side to make this reoccurring event?

Originally Posted by lin821
Is the high power testing something new on FT again during the last few hours?

Just back on FT now, it appears the red alert on the low left corner of posts has been replaced with plain text "Alert a moderator of this post", which is also clickable without underline. Not sure if this is a new "improvement" or simple new glitch that the tech team is working on.

ETA:

Two hours later, that red triangle alert seems to reappear now. Does it mean it will stay this time?
Old Jul 14, 2018, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by CPRich

It's like every few weeks there's a font size random number generator that's run.

And my eyes still hurt looking at the color scheme.
We should've learned by now it's called FT "improvement" that surely breaks the original functionality and creates new waves of problems over and over again. See my above post for another example which has only been 8 days.

No wonder this feedback thread is now 57 pages long and still going strong.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 10:01 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Is IB hiring? The job security in the web development department must be decent. /s
Old Jul 16, 2018, 11:25 am
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
Originally Posted by RumPatrol
Did *you* right-click and inspect them? The fonts are most certainly not the same size. Just a visual inspection of those two photos side by side should tell you that, but if you need to inspect them, you'll see they're different.

Thread titles within a forum are 14px, forum sub-headers are 15px, overall forum headers are 16px and post text is 16px (see below). Text in the "last post" column that shows when the last post of a thread was and by who is 12px, but replies and views are 16px. Thread titles on the trending threads page are indeed 16px, but the thread titles within a forum itself are 14px.

There is a lot of inconsistency in font sizes across FT and it makes it very difficult on people who scale their browser up or down. On one page you might have a standard readable size and the next you'll need to zoom in 120% to get it readable. This is made substantially worse by the color scheme choices. I've posted about this numerous times in this very thread and it was ignored.
And those screenshots were on Chrome/desktop (if they were, I will further investigate the inconsistencies)? Interesting. I right clicked and inspected and they were both 16px (at 100% zoom). I got my thread title inspection from the Forum Feedback thread list. Our designer is currently fine-tuning colors/fonts for legibility.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 11:27 am
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
I reported this problem about 8 days ago. Now it's back again.

What gives on IB side to make this reoccurring event?
Mobile or desktop? What browser? I have never seen an instance of this.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 2:33 pm

Mobile or desktop? What browser? I have never seen an instance of this.
Desktop on FF. I've personally seen it twice, as reported up thread in real time (if that matters.) Both happened during the weekend and only lasted for a few hours.

A fixed red triangle icon shouldn't be like a moving target. Not sure what's going on but do know it's not normal.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
A fixed red triangle icon shouldn't be like a moving target. Not sure what's going on but do know it's not normal.
Might it be as simple as the image file not loading, so what you are seeing is the placeholder and the alt text underneath it (which you can see if you hover over the image)? Image files do have glitches from time to time.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Might it be as simple as the image file not loading, so what you are seeing is the placeholder and the alt text underneath it (which you can see if you hover over the image)? Image files do have glitches from time to time.
Image not loading, from FT server's end or the user's?

If you mean the user's end, I did refresh my screen a couple of time to confirm the RBP image disappearing while everything else on FT was "normal" when that happened.

If it's the placeholder for RBP on FT showing glitches, perhaps IB should investigate further? I don't recall seeing the same issue on our long gone classic FT style. However, if IB has been struggling with font/header size, not sure what they can do about this illusive but within-hours self-corrected RBP red triangle since the to fix list is long enough.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Image not loading, from FT server's end or the user's?
I'm not a techie, but as I understand it, it could be either. Maybe the server is briefly failing to deliver the image file, or maybe a bad file's got into your cache. (Refresh on its own won't necessarily fix that. I think sometimes you might need to do an unconditional refresh - CTRL + F5 - or to manually clear the browser cache, exit the browser, and then restart it.)

To be honest, I think just about every website of this kind occasionally fails to deliver an image file, so if what you saw is consistent with my surmise, personally I wouldn't even think twice about it.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 2:13 am

Programs: DL GM
And those screenshots were on Chrome/desktop (if they were, I will further investigate the inconsistencies)? Interesting. I right clicked and inspected and they were both 16px (at 100% zoom). I got my thread title inspection from the Forum Feedback thread list. Our designer is currently fine-tuning colors/fonts for legibility.
This has been happening for quite a while, there is a weird inconsistency in the fonts. If it makes a difference (it shouldn't), I verified the fonts with both a Firefox add-on (pictured) and Firefox's actual inspect element and it showed the same thing. This is desktop.

I had raised this complaint fairly early in this thread when I noticed that some pages had font that required me to zoom my browser to 120% to be "normal" sized on my monitor which in turn made some other pages have gigantic font. I have my keyboard programmed with browser zoom hot keys so it wasn't as big of a hassle to me as it would be for others but it is frustrating none the less.

It is really noticeable for me because I access FT via the trending topics page where the forum directory is a very small 12px but the topics themselves are 16px. To make the directory a comfortable size, it makes the rest of the page and the individual threads I click on massive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.