Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Feedback on FT new style, March 2018

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2018, 2:04 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by IBobi
Per IBjoel, tech are already (still) working on font issues. Let's wait to see how that settles before asking them for more -- it may well just get fixed.
@IBobi, any chance that you could use your post 1 to keep a list of the items that are in flight for fixes at a level that still separates out different manifestations, so potentially a few sub-item under "font / rendering"? That could help us all not continue to call out such items until we're commenting on the next iteration.

A lot of the usability problems seem to be about fonts and other sizing, and the @IBJoel post that you mention suggests that there is some unanticipated effect in rendering. Is it that which is causing some of us to now have a reasonable experience but others still a troublesome one? Do you have a good sense of whether this is for example browser and / or device related?
RumPatrol likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 3:46 am

My 2 cents

I decided to wait a while before I post some comments since any design change normally looks negative at first until you get used to it.
But I would rather have the old layout back. It was more usable / ergonomic for me.
Here are some reasons and suggestions:
- the current font looks fresher and cleaner, but is actually more difficult to read and (at least for me) does not allow to read as fast as before. There is a lot of research about fonts and readability, suggest you spend more time in selecting something better
- Using the same font size for headers, titles, headlines does not help. Headers like "Last Post" should be smaller than the rest for example. Font size should follow importance
- It is nice to navigate to first new post, but you should also be able to navigate to top/bottom inside a thread or forum (the scroll bar does not work because of the dynamic loading)
- The layout is wasting a lot of space by adding to much white space inside the items. Often the screen is just filled with the sticky posts and you need to scroll.
- I like the like button, but it wasted a lot of space. Why not make it into a button like the news button?
- You should automatically remove double empty lines. Again: More information one one screen and less scrolling
ProleOnParole and RumPatrol like this.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by Unterwegs
- The layout is wasting a lot of space by adding to much white space inside the items. Often the screen is just filled with the sticky posts and you need to scroll.
^
Some of us grew up reading an information-dense medium called a book. Consequently, we were comfortable with the old FT format.

I am starting to suspect that this revised format is geared towards a generation whose attention span makes it difficult to transition from one line of text to the next, if the lines are too close together.

In other words, if your age is anywhere close to mine, we are not the market that IB is searching to reach.
RumPatrol likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 2:14 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
"dense" layouts are considerably harder to read. The research on this is unambiguous. Well used whitespace can massively increase the readability of a site.

I find the new layout much, much easier to read.

It's not a "dumb millennial never read a book" thing.
jackal likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
So, I've looked thru the last 5-6 pages, but didn't see an answer- is there a way (yet) to reduce the font size? I feel like I stepped into the "LARGE SIZE TEXT" version of FT (and it's much less readable as a result) ...!
That's funny, because the font size is actually quite a bit smaller than it was before, at least on my desktop computer. (Of course, things keep being changed, AND there are different versions on different devices, etc., etc., etc.)
Old Apr 13, 2018, 5:09 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
That's funny, because the font size is actually quite a bit smaller than it was before, at least on my desktop computer. (Of course, things keep being changed, AND there are different versions on different devices, etc., etc., etc.)
Yes, I think the devs must be very confused by the various request to make the same thing bigger / smaller. Hopefully if they need help understanding which devices are doing what they'll ask rather than randomly make it better for some (hopefully) while worse for others.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 4:45 pm
No longer with Internet Brands
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
I have been told that a number of the style changes suggested here will be implemented on Monday. Please sit tight until then, and we will see where we are.
Globaliser, Xyzzy and IBEly like this.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I have been told that a number of the style changes suggested here will be implemented on Monday. Please sit tight until then, and we will see where we are.
Do you have a time estimate? I need to make sure my pitchfork is back from the sharpeners.
Coathanger and wrp96 like this.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by pvn
"dense" layouts are considerably harder to read. The research on this is unambiguous. ...
References... or it didn't happen.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 8:28 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Stopped by to see what I've been missing. Font size just keeps getting smaller and smaller on my Surface using latest FireFox. I pretty much hate the experience on FT at this point.
Silver Fox, 84fiero and RumPatrol like this.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 12:46 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
What has happened to the font colours? Edited a wiki on the EK Forum this morning and the colours used to differentiate lounge guesting offers and requests were not available to choose. And still won’t allow me to insert a screenshot to show the colours now available.

S
Old Apr 16, 2018, 12:52 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue

Allows me to insert a screenshot as long as no text in the reply box. On iPad Air2

​​​​​​​S
Old Apr 16, 2018, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
So I can https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/edit...ost&p=29648825
drag and drop https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/newr...ply&p=29648825
buttons from the UI into my post? https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/newr...ply&p=29648825

Is that a featurehttps://www.flyertalk.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=29648825

Feedback on FT new style, March 2018

Is making fonts the same size relly this hard....?
Old Apr 16, 2018, 7:22 pm
No longer with Internet Brands
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Changes/fixes have rolled out as of a few minutes ago. If you still see serious issues, please report them.

(FYI we always recommend clearing your cache after a new update)
IMH likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 7:33 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Changes/fixes have rolled out as of a few minutes ago. If you still see serious issues, please report them.

(FYI we always recommend clearing your cache after a new update)
All threads look 'read' to me now; no indication that I have unread posts anywhere with bold subject lines. Logged out, cleared cache, same issue.

Edit: back to normal now..didn't need to do anything

Last edited by pushmyredbutton; Apr 16, 2018 at 7:45 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.