Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

Feedback on FT new style, March 2018

Feedback on FT new style, March 2018

Old Apr 8, 2018, 10:27 am

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by jackal
In other words, 99.723937052% of members just don't care.
Originally Posted by adobbing
Or alternatively most of them would like to complain about it, but can’t be bothered with the pain involved in actually using the forum to voice their views!

That’s if they even knew this thread existed!
Or they've looked at the forum and see that their questions won't necessarily be answered (that would include me) or that it's not so much a call for feedback on the FT new style as a whole, but rather a solicitation of suggestions on minor tweaks to a broad new style that's here to stay regardless of what members might individually prefer.
Buster, Silver Fox and 84fiero like this.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 12:52 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by adobbing
That’s if they even knew this thread existed!
I guess the site wide announcement on top of every page with a direct link here made it extra difficult to know where to go.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 3:10 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by intuition
I guess the site wide announcement on top of every page with a direct link here made it extra difficult to know where to go.
Because the title of "Announcement: New FT style!" makes it obvious that it contains a link to a feedback and troubleshooting thread

Not to mention the fact that it's in a smaller font size than everything else.

EDIT: for example, this thread in the DL forum with people at least initially unaware this thread existed.

Last edited by Zorak; Apr 8, 2018 at 3:25 pm
Old Apr 8, 2018, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)

Since you are asking for opinions, I'll give mine. I didn't want to because I don't like creating negative posts, but here goes.

OUCH! This new format hurts my eyes and I have decided I can't really read much on FT anymore without getting major eyestrain.

Maybe you aren't getting many members "caring" in this thread anymore because they are leaving the site?
Old Apr 8, 2018, 11:35 pm
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold

So 0.00204239889% of posts on FlyerTalk have been devoted to this issue.

Also, according to https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/misc...sted&t=1900802, 196 individual FTers have posted in this thread. In other words, 0.0276062948% of members have felt passionately enough about this topic to comment on it. Even if you take the conventional forum wisdom that about 10% of members are actually active, then 0.276062948% of active members have commented on this topic.

Considering the difficulty most people have to leave their preferred forum and use them as general chat (see the amount of OT threads on the BA board), this means nothing.
Grog, Silver Fox and 84fiero like this.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by Zorak
Because the title of "Announcement: New FT style!" makes it obvious that it contains a link to a feedback and troubleshooting thread

Not to mention the fact that it's in a smaller font size than everything else.

EDIT: for example, this thread in the DL forum with people at least initially unaware this thread existed.
^^^

As far as I know, the announcement post (which appears now to be gone) never included a link to this thread.

Originally Posted by Grog
Or they've looked at the forum and see that their questions won't necessarily be answered (that would include me) or that it's not so much a call for feedback on the FT new style as a whole, but rather a solicitation of suggestions on minor tweaks to a broad new style that's here to stay regardless of what members might individually prefer.
^ this.

I still cannot "Like" more than once in a thread session, and the only response I have received is an instruction to clean out my cache, which I am not going to do each time I come to FT.

At least one other user reported the same problem.

But, after the cache-clearing suggestion, I have seen no IB response to indicate that they accept that a problem exists.
Grog and 84fiero like this.

Last edited by cblaisd; Apr 9, 2018 at 2:44 pm Reason: merged poster's two consecutive posts
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Considering one of the issues some of us have reported was not being able to actually post to FT anymore, maybe some people that encountered that same issue just gave up trying to post on FT, rather than trying to find a solution that was hidden in a not well sign posted thread in a not often used subforum.
beltway and Grog like this.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 12:08 pm
No longer with Internet Brands
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Here’s a new one (I think). Sub-forums aren’t displayed properly in the main forum list. Here, the AF and KL forums should be indented.
Ugh, well it’s not showing my screen cap in the post.
I can't follow you without links or a screen shot. Can you try to post a little more information please?

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter

I still cannot "Like" more than once in a thread session, and the only response I have received is an instruction to clean out my cache, which I am not going to do each time I come to FT.

But, after the cache-clearing suggestion, I have seen no IB response to indicate that they accept that a problem exists.
We were not suggesting you clear your cache on every FT visit, we were suggesting you do it once, since that appears to fix the issue for most people. If you would not like to follow our instructions for fixing your reported issues, that is your prerogative.

If clearing your cache doesn't work, please let us know what browser and device and forum skin you're using and we'll try to help more.

Originally Posted by wrp96
Considering one of the issues some of us have reported was not being able to actually post to FT anymore, maybe some people that encountered that same issue just gave up trying to post on FT, rather than trying to find a solution that was hidden in a not well sign posted thread in a not often used subforum.
I have not seen reports that people simply could not post. Do you have an example?
Old Apr 9, 2018, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by IBobi
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Here’s a new one (I think). Sub-forums aren’t displayed properly in the main forum list. Here, the AF and KL forums should be indented.
Ugh, well it’s not showing my screen cap in the post.
I can't follow you without links or a screen shot. Can you try to post a little more information please?
This was reported way back in posts 309, 312 and 314:-
Originally Posted by Buster
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Originally Posted by JoeDaejeon
As for the order of the forums in 'Airlines and Mileage Programs', it's still extremely annoying that you can't sort the list alphabetically, ie. why does 'KLM Flying Dutchman' and 'Virgin America' appear in the A section? There's probably some good reason why it was done, but for someone scanning the list, no matter how many times, I always need to do a double take due to the non-alphabetical order.
That's because "Air France Frequence Plus" and "KLM Flying Dutchman" are sub-boards of the immediately-preceding board ("Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue"); and "Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018" is a sub-board of the immediately-preceding board ("Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan").

The current colouring and layout don't make this sufficiently clear at first glance. But the logic seems impeccable.
You're right. The Virgin America board used to be slightly indented to make it clearer that it was sub-board of the Alaska board, but now it looks to be basically in-line, so we've lost that distinction.

Last edited by Globaliser; Feb 27, 2019 at 8:52 am
Old Apr 9, 2018, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

This was reported way back in posts 309, 312 and 314
Sorting forum directories has never been possible, and is not a consequence of this FT update. Also it is not possible with the software the forum runs on.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Mar 4, 2019 at 5:37 am Reason: Remove image with meta data to protect member identity
Old Apr 9, 2018, 1:03 pm
Original Member

Font Size

How is it that this far into the process, on the list of threads (New Posts) the font size of the thread name is STILL considerably smaller than the OP name and the date it was started? Who cares
Grog, Silver Fox and RumPatrol like this.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Sorting forum directories has never been possible, and is not a consequence of this FT update. Also it is not possible with the software the forum runs on.
Sorry, that's not the point. It's not a question of sorting, but of pointing out the sub-forums.

In the old style, after "Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue", the next two lines were indented to give an instant visual indication that they were sub-forums of that forum (ie "Air France Frequence Plus" and "KLM Flying Dutchman" were indented and IIRC there was a different colour applied to the background behind the circular logo).

The same was true for "Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan" and the next (indented) line "Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018".

So whatever was done then was definitely do-able because it was done.
Mwenenzi, Xyzzy, beltway and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Sorry, that's not the point. It's not a question of sorting, but of pointing out the sub-forums.

In the old style, after "Air France, KLM, and Other Partners Flying Blue", the next two lines were indented to give an instant visual indication that they were sub-forums of that forum (ie "Air France Frequence Plus" and "KLM Flying Dutchman" were indented and IIRC there was a different colour applied to the background behind the circular logo).

The same was true for "Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan" and the next (indented) line "Virgin America Elevate pre 2018".

So whatever was done then was definitely do-able because it was done.
The indenting we can work on. But the post you quoted specifically called out sorting, which we cannot.

@IBJoel
Old Apr 9, 2018, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by wrp96
I have not seen reports that people simply could not post. Do you have an example?
Well consider my first post in this thread, #34 . I don't have time to search but I know I answered at least two other people who had a similar problem. I was lucky I had another method to make that first post. Otherwise I probably would've just completely given up on FT.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
The indenting we can work on. But the post you quoted specifically called out sorting, which we cannot.

@IBJoel
Please do. The VX forum is a sub-forum of the AS forum, so it affects me, too.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.