Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Feedback on FT new style, March 2018

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2018, 8:02 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by techie
Is the current FT Destkop NG skin the only one that can be used? It's rubbish, too much white and too much wasted space.
If you look in the bottom left hand corner, you can change the style to the mobile one. It is less cluttered, but it is full screen width. I'm posting using it now.
IBJoel likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 8:03 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by lamphs
I wish, for IB's/FT's sake, that the ad issue could be resolved. Ads are a revenue source. I still use an ad blocker on my notebook and my Surface and can use FT without issue. But on my Windows 10 tablet, that I prefer to use, I have not installed the ad blocker; thus getting the 'running long script' message.
This is usually because of the browser. I still see this on sites with a lot of javascript where the browser takes time to parse it. If you try another browser (I typically will use portable ones), you'll have a better experience.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Cloudship
One HUGE problem I have - no way to tell what posts are new since you were last there!

Personally I think the condensed font is way hard to read, but I will let others carry on about that. I just need to know what posts are unread.
Biggest issue for me too. Where did this go???
Old Mar 28, 2018, 9:14 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by jackal
BTW, I'm finding it hysterical that people are screaming so loudly that OMG THIS IS THE WORST THING EVER AND MY HEAD HURTS!!!! when there are also so many people posting that they actually find the redesign an improvement and leading to more clarity. I guess the old adage that you can't please everybody is absolutely true.

Personally, I think the redesign is a big step in the right direction, and we're at least up to somewhere like 2012 rather than 2002 like we were before. A few design ideas and elements could probably stand to be addressed, but it's like 80-90% there, IMO. For all the Luddites who hate Web 2.0 design...sorry, not sorry.
I think both things can be true at the same time. Yes, the changes made some things more clear, hyperlinks and forum headlines aside, but by doing that they introduced even more empty space. There are good parts of this update, but there are a lot of really bad things too and it is very clearly an unfinished product. I also think FT appears differently on different hardware, which is another problem all together.

The weird combination of font sizes is baffling to me. The Thread/Original Poster, Sticky Threads and Normal Threads headlines should not be the same color and size as unread thread fonts. Either change the background to those cells to something like light blue to provide contrast, or change the color of the font, or both. There is also the problem of the Forum Directory font being tiny and barely readable, but the thread title font is gigantic so you can't even zoom in without screwing something else up (see below).

I use two color calibrated 1440p 25" editing monitors on my desk with a 13" MacBook Pro Retina and iPad with retina display next to those and FT appears differently on all 3 devices. FT is too white on my monitors, I can't imagine people who do not have color calibrated monitors because the contrast is such that they might not even be able to differentiate between the white and light gray on the page.

All in all, this is just unprofessional development that forces users to be beta testers. People had *just* gotten used to FT's last botched roll out and before the paint was even dry on that one, they slapped this paint over it. At least the button graphics have the same background color as the background they are placed on this time, so that's a step in the right direction. FT looks like something I designed on Proboards 10 years ago.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 9:59 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by escape4
There used to be a button "post hotel review" at the top of a hotel thread, next to the button "post reply". Is it no longer possible to post a hotel review within a hotel thread?
Originally Posted by IBJoel
I will ask for this to be brought back.
I see it's now operational. Thanks!
IBJoel likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 10:19 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by SamirD
If you look in the bottom left hand corner, you can change the style to the mobile one. It is less cluttered, but it is full screen width. I'm posting using it now.
Thanks, using the mobile skin on a desktop browser is just as much of an abomination.

No sizeable beta test? No requests for feedback based on mockups? Just what kind of testing with a meaningful sample of FT users has been performed?
Old Mar 28, 2018, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by Duke787
big issue for me is the lack of definition between the "sticky" threads and the "normal" threads. The gray is not dark enough and the lines between each row don't have enough definition
Agree.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 10:57 pm

I find the actual thread pages OK but the pages with the lists of threads is just awful, I'm sorry. The contrasts are sort of nonexistent. The whole page is just a washed out gray/beige. I wish the section title background was darker than that of the thread titles rather than lighter but either way, they are like one shade apart. The font color of the section headers is just one shade darker than the threads with unread content which is just one shade darker than those that you've read. It's just so, so hard to read, an excruciating experience for the eyes.
RumPatrol likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 1:08 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
I see now that the thread pages have been "toned down", ie they are now lacking the contrast they got in the makeover initially. I think it now is worse than before, low contrast and grey on grey everywhere. Yes, the blue accent is still here, but I guess the hyperboel people will keep shouting about migranes until we have the site in a 4-bit all-grey colourspace .
jackal likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 2:06 am
Suspended

Dire. It looks like a child's toy with all these bright blue buttons and lines everywhere. Plus the new font is difficult to read.

Why couldn't we stick with the old layout? Who cares if it's modern? I prefer something that looks reasonable and does the job rather than something cutting-edge and difficult to use. Won't be on here so much any more.
linsj and Silver Fox like this.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 3:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I see links how have a very faint underline. Let's be thankful for small mercies.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 3:54 am

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
Didn we lose the view non mobile version???
Old Mar 29, 2018, 5:06 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Free Pizza and Drinks for UAT?

Shouldn't we get free pizza and drinks since we are doing the User Acceptance Testing for FT? This is common practice for large software launches elsewhere (when team members come in after hours to help sort out post-launch issues)
Old Mar 29, 2018, 5:15 am
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by IBJoel
Wasn't aware of this. I will test and report. Anyone else having this trouble?

EDIT: No problem liking up to 10 posts.
Yes, having that problem. I liked a post of yours above and now I can't like any more posts.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 5:20 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
HORRIBLE! I can't get rid of right columns asking for donations/etc. which makes readable area small and very difficult for old eyes - enlarging the whole page to get readable type makes for a whole lot of other problems.

"If it ain't broke don't fix it" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.