Search

Feedback on FT new style, March 2018

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2018, 10:01 am
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
Originally Posted by ilcannone
If this includes the homepage, then it would be this:

Post articles quicker and remove older ones more frequently. An example of each:

1) about the BBC reporter being stuck on a plane, this was reported several days ago on various outlets and yet only just appeared here.
2) for quite a significant amount of time, there was an article about a hotel in Da Nang which probably lasted a good 2 months. Why? Who knows.
It does not include the front page, no.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 10:02 am
Administrator

Originally Posted by beltway
THIS. Whoever decides on these kinds of changes either has zero understanding of the UX concept, or in the alternative simply does not care.
I have asked our tech team to enlarge the "Go to first new/unread" button
beltway likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 10:03 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
Originally Posted by trek604
It should not take 48 hours for someone to adjust the CSS to allow for hyperlinks to be formatted with an underline. Seriously...
frankly, FT has had formatting issues and problems for so long that it behooves all of us to learn how to override formatting via e.g. tampermonkey.

I have fixed most of the more egregious (to me) offenses. Next on the block will be getting the color scheme to a less bright one.

The downside to this approach is that every time FT deploys a reformat, I have to re-discover what style elements need to be overridden. I'm not good at this so it's a slog, but it's worth it.
chermorg likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 10:08 am
Administrator

Originally Posted by RichMSN
(1) Links show as black text until one hovers over them. Some of these are not bold or set apart from other text. This is poor design.
(2) Thread titles in MyFlyerTalk are smaller than other text.
(3) Forum names in MyFlyerTalk are smaller than other text.
Working on all 3, thank you!
Old Mar 28, 2018, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet

Was this the sort of black/grey you were looking for? Much more readable like this....I do like retro....
DenverBrian, wrp96, IBJoel and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 10:26 am
Administrator

Originally Posted by WIRunner

The issue continues with regular Safari.
The grey on the right side should be an ad. As for reducing that space, I know right now, desktop skin stuff on mobile is being back-burnered.

EDIT: Looks like you still have the old "Post Reply" button. Is there a "R+Refresh" equivalent on iPad? If not, can you clear the cache?
Old Mar 28, 2018, 10:30 am
Administrator

Originally Posted by escape4
There used to be a button "post hotel review" at the top of a hotel thread, next to the button "post reply". Is it no longer possible to post a hotel review within a hotel thread?
I will ask for this to be brought back.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by IBJoel
Working on all 3, thank you!
As far as underlining links go, I'm relatively sure all your team needs to do is go into the flyertalk.com.css file and change this:

a{color:#000;line-height:inherit;text-decoration:none}

to this:

a{color:#000;line-height:inherit;text-decoration:underline}
Xyzzy, beltway, Silver Fox and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 10:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by IMH
Is there a technical reason why this can't be rolled back to an unbroken state, beta-tested by those so inclined, improved as necessary and then released in, say, May or June?

Or is it just pigheadedness?
The reason is they do not wish to admit their mistakes in "internal company procedure" and fix them. Instead, they respond to what they see as criticism of company procedure privately and ignore public criticism of the rollou.

$10 says they thought this would bring them more ad revenue. If you use an adblocker, maybe u whitelisting FT will show them that they are wrong.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 10:43 am
Administrator

Originally Posted by 1984SW
Having "Thread / Original Poster" , "Sticky Threads" and "Normal Threads" in the same font weight & color as unread thread titles disrupts scanning unread thread titles. How about making them another color -- blue seems to be dominant in the CSS -- and/or moving some of them to be center-justified:
Thank you! A moderator contacted me about this yesterday and I have already requested the change.
muji likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
When I use Google Chrome the "Forum Jump" is partially covered by the banner advertisement down the right side of the page. As a consequence the click arrow that brings up all of the forums is obstructed meaning I have to use a slower scrolling process.

This does not seem to be a problem on Internet Explorer

Also Forum Jump has disappeared from the bottom of individual threads, so I now have to go back before I can jump to a different Forum within of FT.

(I suspect these are already known issues but don't feel like wandering through 300+ posts to verify.)
Old Mar 28, 2018, 10:56 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
Originally Posted by Mikel at Webflyer
As far as underlining links go, I'm relatively sure all your team needs to do is go into the flyertalk.com.css file and change this:

a{color:#000;line-height:inherit;text-decoration:none}

to this:

a{color:#000;line-height:inherit;text-decoration:underline}
I tried something like this and it underlined _every_ unvisited link, including internals. Looked messy to me, so I changed mine back.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by IBJoel
The grey on the right side should be an ad. As for reducing that space, I know right now, desktop skin stuff on mobile is being back-burnered.

EDIT: Looks like you still have the old "Post Reply" button. Is there a "R+Refresh" equivalent on iPad? If not, can you clear the cache?
The image you quoted was from my desktop. That was regular Safari. The iPad had refreshed itself. The rendering issue seems to affect both versions of Safari. On mobile Safari the rendering issue causes 1/3 of the display from being utilised (ad or not. And with the constant hijacking, the site is nearly unusable, but that is for another post.)
Old Mar 28, 2018, 11:04 am
Administrator

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Is it just me or are wiki posts not displaying on mobile?
This has been reported, thank you.
krazykanuck likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 11:48 am
Administrator

Originally Posted by ORD-TGU
When I scroll up or down, there are so many moving parts. The top drop down, the side ads, just too many dynamic things. Plus what has been said a lot, there is too much wasted space between posts. I wish I could be like a pdf file, you just scroll up and down and not so many pop ups or moving bars.

An other significant issue is the time it takes to download posts when scrolling down.
It sounds like you're on Infinite Scroll, which can be disabled here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/prof...do=editoptions

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.