Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

Feedback on FT new style, March 2018

Feedback on FT new style, March 2018

Old Mar 27, 2018, 10:22 am

I feel your pain IBJoel/IBBobi, and am happy not to be experiencing it firsthand .

One specific comment with respect to white space. The volume of information that any individual member is able to provide/display in their user profile column creates a problem. White space below a post isn't much of an issue when someone who displays very little user information contributes a post. IBJoel's post a couple up from this one is an example. However, Travelchurner's post, directly below IBJoel's post, has considerably more white space because of all of the "Programs" information in his user profile box.

Widening the user profile column is one possible solution, but not the best option IMO. Personally, I liked the way Xenforo handled/handles this. Basically, that platform limits what is displayed in the user profile section. If a user wants to know more about a poster, s/he can click on, or hover over, the poster's name to gain access to this information.

Best of luck with the redesign.
FlyinHawaiian and RumPatrol like this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 10:28 am

Programs: Independent
Regarding the white space issue - I don't think it is the actual white space that is the problem - the problem is the contrast between the white background of the text boxes and posts against the beige background of the page.I think simply getting rid of the beige and making that white would make a world of difference.

As for the fonts, I think the problem may really be mixing too many similar styles. Even though they may all be set in say 12pt, how 12 pt looks in one font looks very different than in another. Pick just one or two fonts altogether and you will probably increase readability by a substantial amount as well.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 10:29 am

Programs: AC E75K, WJ Gold, NEXUS, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by beltway
I was just about to point this out. Here's how it looks to me in Chrome with multi-quote deselected and selected:

The same thing viewed in IE:

The button thing is probably your cache. Hold Shift and press reload.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by beltway
I was just about to point this out. Here's how it looks to me in Chrome with multi-quote deselected and selected:

The same thing viewed in IE:

I see all of the buttons in the new style, using Chrome on Win 10 Pro.

I wonder whether those who are seeing a mixture of old and new styles are just seeing cached versions of the old ones?
IBJoel likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 10:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by trek604
The button thing is probably your cache. Hold Shift and press reload.
You're right. ^

By the way, y'all, wikis have returned from the dead.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 10:49 am
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
Theres something broken on IOS/safari. Seeing a double width sidebar. A 12.9 iPad should be supported in desktop mode.
And image upload doesnt work for me.
That might happen on Desktop Skin on mobile. Doe it still happen when you're viewing in landscape mode?
Old Mar 27, 2018, 10:51 am

+ the blue buttons increase my usability to navigate/operate.
- less brightness

Last edited by Mcflyneo; Mar 27, 2018 at 12:19 pm
Old Mar 27, 2018, 10:56 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
not sure whether this has been reported yet, but...

on desktop chrome, in the user control panel (which I use as my FT home page) the width of the "Your control panel" section scales in ways that are awkward to me. In my default browser, that section is way wider than it needs to be. If I make the browser more narrow, it scales down the width of that section until some minimum width. Continued narrowing of the browser makes the control panel section pop up to fill the whole width of the browser.

My primary complaint/request would be to make the control panel frame _not_ expand in width beyond the minimum. It just adds whitespace and no discernable benefit.

Also, the following tampermonkey script sections have made the font sizes relate to each other in ways that are tolerable to me.

Code:
GM_addStyle ("\
             .tcell.alt1.text-left {\
             font-size: 16px !important; \
             } \
             ");

GM_addStyle ("\
             .tcell.text-left {\
             font-size: 18px !important; \
             } \
             ");
ProleOnParole likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 11:01 am

Much better colors and look !
But, ...

What I am missing is responsiveness. In a narrow screen (e.g. a smartphone in portrait mode) horzontal scroll bars appear. Most modern web sites however are responsive and work on all devices, including on tiny screens in portrait like an iPhone SE.
See example above, it is really ugly.
And a 'mobile' interface does not suffice as this is a limited WAP version of 2003.

Last edited by airsurfer; Mar 27, 2018 at 11:06 am Reason: screenshot added
Old Mar 27, 2018, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I know that it has been stated that the page is not optimised for mobile, but an iPad isn't exactly an iPhone or Android and has plenty of screen size to work with. There is so much wasted space because things don't end up where they should be. Also the font size in the "quick reply" box is so small. Again, I don't have vision problems, but this is just causing unnecessary eye strain. A bump or two in the point would be very welcome. Or at the very least let the user decide what size font to use in a setting somewhere. Thankfully my phone's browser has a night mode, and that makes a world of difference on usability. Unfortunately, it is my phone.

This is the problem with the iPad. It did not exist in the previous theme. Landscape versus portrait doesn't seem to help.

Old Mar 27, 2018, 11:26 am

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
My first thought yesterday was that there was something wrong with my browser and that is wasn't fully rendering the site. Somehow, although it's clean and modern, it's just too bright and white...maybe it would help to swap the beige and white background locations.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by hughw
My first thought yesterday was that there was something wrong with my browser and that is wasn't fully rendering the site.
Funny - I thught that too!
Old Mar 27, 2018, 11:30 am

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
I'm now reporting a bug with the "Hyperlink" button. I'm on Windows 7, Mozilla Firefox 52.6.

When I highlight text and hit the hyperlink button, it used to assign the hyperlink to that text. Today it is not working at all. I can't even add a full link from scratch. And the e-mail field is appearing when URL is selected and that may be confusing to users.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 11:33 am

@WIRunner: When using landscape mode on a cellphone (what I do) the screen appears about the same like on a computer.

I see in all screenshots that there is a lot of empty space on the right, even in narrow (portrait) mode.
Setting CSS:

Code:
#tpost { width: 130%; }
solves this problem, but the posts are still scrolled away horizontally.
The div's containing the message should never scroll over the right edge.
The 'small font' problem in portrait can be solved by putting this line in the header:

Code:
<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1, minimum-scale=0.5, maximum-scale=2.0, user-scalable=yes">

which allows to zoom out 1/2x and in 2x and the letters are not small anymore.

Last edited by airsurfer; Mar 27, 2018 at 11:42 am Reason: css
Old Mar 27, 2018, 11:36 am
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
Originally Posted by iluvdoco
The new color and font are terrible. Too much white background, it's too bright and a strain on my eyes to read.

Please also get rid of infinite scroll. I can't even tell what page I'm looking at anymore.
IS can be turned off here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/prof...do=editoptions
Xyzzy and Mcflyneo like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.