EU GDPR / General Data Protection Reg. and FT compliance

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2018, 12:28 pm
Original Poster
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
EU GDPR / General Data Protection Reg. and FT compliance

Hello,

I would like to know what is the status with GDPR compliance Flyertalk, in general terms but specifically for
- the right to be forgotten
- the right of portability
- the right to restrict processing
- the right of correction
- contentment collection

Thanks
Old Feb 18, 2018, 10:04 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
For members unfamiliar with the term, GDPR refers to the European Union’s latest iteration of General Data Protection Regulation, which regulates data privacy.

For more, please see this article on Wikipedia.

JDiver, Co-Moderator
Old Feb 21, 2018, 2:39 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Flyertalk is a US-based site. Our TOU can be found here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/legal-notices.php

https://www.flyertalk.com/help/privacy.php
Old Feb 22, 2018, 12:39 am
Original Poster
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

The location of Flyertalk is not relevant as long as it has users that are located within the European Union. Please see the Wikipedia article JDiver kindly links and also this Forbes article: https://www.forbes.com/forbes/welcom...ased-business/
Or this one from the NYU https://wp.nyu.edu/compliance_enforc...personal-data/

Flyertalk is impacted by the GDPR as it has EU users. As such I would really appreciate if you could have a more precise answers to the questions in my OP please.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Use our Privacy Contact form, or write to us at the address below.

Privacy Office
Internet Brands, Inc.
909 N. Sepulveda Blvd., 11th Floor
El Segundo, CA 90245 U.S.A.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 3:23 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by fransknorge
The location of Flyertalk is not relevant as long as it has users that are located within the European Union. Please see the Wikipedia article JDiver kindly links and also this Forbes article: https://www.forbes.com/forbes/welcom...ased-business/
Or this one from the NYU https://wp.nyu.edu/compliance_enforc...personal-data/

Flyertalk is impacted by the GDPR as it has EU users. As such I would really appreciate if you could have a more precise answers to the questions in my OP please.
I think you should read page 2 of that Forbes article.

TWA884 likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 9:01 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by IBobi
I think you should read page 2 of that Forbes article.

This?

The organization would have to target a data subject in an EU country. Generic marketing doesn’t count. For example, a Dutch user who Googles and finds an English-language webpage written for U.S. consumers or B2B customers would not be covered under the GDPR. However, if the marketing is in the language of that country and there are references to EU users and customers, then the webpage would be considered targeted marketing and the GDPR will apply.
TWA884 and IBobi like this.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 12:12 am
Original Poster

Considering some of the ads I see are in German, and I do live in Germany, then I would say this is targeted marketing.
So again, I maintain my position that Flyertalk has to comply to the GDPR and i would appreciate if they could share with their thousands of European customers their plan.
And I am not the only one to think so:
The GDPR applies to organizations involved in the processing of personal data of individuals located in the EU. “[P]ersonal data” is defined broadly as “any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person.”
[3] “Processing” means “any operation or set of operations which is performed on personal data or on sets of personal data.”[4] These are broad definitions encompassing a range of data types and a variety of data usages—they are designed in particular to sweep in U.S. technology companies. Indeed, information such as log-in information, IP addresses, and vehicle identification numbers, though not enabling direct identification of individuals, allow for identification of individuals indirectly and are therefore considered to be personal data.

Last edited by fransknorge; Feb 23, 2018 at 12:19 am
Old Feb 23, 2018, 12:20 am
Original Poster

Example of ad I see now. It is not in German but clearly targeted as I am currently in FRA and thus is explicitly for the EU market.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 5:06 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Considering some of the ads I see are in German, and I do live in Germany, then I would say this is targeted marketing.
So again, I maintain my position that Flyertalk has to comply to the GDPR and i would appreciate if they could share with their thousands of European customers their plan.
And I am not the only one to think so:
I think you're taking "targeted marketing" WAY too liberally here. FT does not sell products, IJAFBB. Yes, there are advertisers who market to where you are, but that then makes them the ones who are doing the "targeted marketing", not FT.
IBobi likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
i would appreciate if they could share with their thousands of European customers their plan.
I provided the contact information above. Is something preventing you from contacting the Privacy office to understand privacy, preferring to discuss with website administrators?
IBobi likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 7:17 am
Original Poster

It would build trust if IB staff publicly explain how IB intent to comply with regulations concerning the handling and processing of customer private data.
This is an opportunity for IB to show their intent to follow regulations.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lo2e
I think you're taking "targeted marketing" WAY too liberally here. FT does not sell products, IJAFBB. Yes, there are advertisers who market to where you are, but that then makes them the ones who are doing the "targeted marketing", not FT.
You might want to read the regulations.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 10:19 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
It would build trust if IB staff publicly explain how IB intent to comply with regulations concerning the handling and processing of customer private data.
This is an opportunity for IB to show their intent to follow regulations.
Sure, but remember also that FT is just one of dozens of sites owned by IB. It would be best, imo, to contact IB directly, as any statement or interventions regarding GDPR would likely be applicable across all (or at least many) of their sites.

I wouldn't necessarily expect a website administrator to be the point of contact for matters related to privacy policies, particularly given that GDPR still has some pieces which are yet to be fully defined.
You could also try calling them. The numbers I get back from a web search are 310-280-4000 and (800) 692-2200. Although that particular avenue may be more difficult since you're in Germany.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 5:57 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice

You might want to read the regulations.
I did. I stand behind my statement unless you can find a regulation that says I'm incorrect.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.