Very slow loading of pages on flyertalk.com and forums

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Very slow loading of pages on flyertalk.com and forums

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2018, 9:03 am
Original Poster

I'm happy to provide more documentation. I use FT on home laptop with blocker, work with no blocker and mobile. Recently I have not seen slowness at work or hijack pages. So IB must be doing something. Still it would be nice to know more about what IB is doing to fix this problem.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I have posted server information and screenshots before. Problems went away for a couple days, then came back almost even worse.

I'm happy to help where I can, but literally the site makes my computer impossible to use and it can take me 5-10 minutes just to capture a single screen shot and then have to force-close everything or reboot to get my computer back, which takes another 5-10 minutes. I simply don't have the time to do that.

Plenty of us have provided some general system information in addition to more specific details when we can capture them. I understand that more info would help IB, but I also understand that IB are the ones getting paid to run this site as a way of delivering our eyeballs to their advertisers. The quality of the lure IB uses (a functioning website with good content) to produce its product (our eyeballs) is quickly losing quality, so it may behoove them to just task an analyst with fiddling around until the can replicate the issues and capture what information they need.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Same here... any its gotten much worse again to the point where just trying to read threads results in some ads hanging my browser for 10-20 seconds at a time and using up all of my cpu.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In my case, I don't have the browser hanging while waiting for an ad site... its hanging from trying to load and run the ads. In particular the animated/video ones in the middle of the page that looks like its coming from someplace called px.mortads.com and has a group of 17 ads that rotates and plays a video clip. Network spikes along with CPU spikes.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 11:21 am
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
Hi guys, I will alert our ad and tech teams to this.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 6:50 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
Just found this thread and am relieved (sort of) to see others having the same problem. I thought it was Firefox or my computer, but when I started seeing this on Chrome I grew suspicious. For me, after being on FT for ~15 min or so, I notice a firefox.exe process gobbling up 5-6 GB of memory, and everything slows to a crawl. After I kill this process in the Task Manager, everything is OK again. Similar symptoms on Chrome. Only seems to happen on FT. I have not tried an ad blocker or disabling infinite scroll.

Edit to add: now tried disabling infinite scroll; seems to help

Last edited by mangoMan; Apr 25, 2018 at 1:24 pm
Old Apr 25, 2018, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Still a severe issue with the site killing my browser and computer resources, regardless of what browser I use. Pets CPU usage and huge memory, along with network traffic. I used to keep a FT tab open to read things during the day but now can't even do that because it'll kill my battery and slow things to a crawl.
txpenny and RumPatrol like this.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 2:37 am

For months, serious lag loading pages and serious page jumps. I have to constantly fight hitting LAST PAGE and it always wants to revert back. This happens whether logged in or not.

using iPad
Old Jun 15, 2018, 9:27 am
Administrator

Originally Posted by radiolarian
For months, serious lag loading pages and serious page jumps. I have to constantly fight hitting LAST PAGE and it always wants to revert back. This happens whether logged in or not.

using iPad
Reverts back to the first page? Is this on the mobile skin?
Old Jun 20, 2018, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by IBJoel
Reverts back to the first page? Is this on the mobile skin?
Page that it jumps to is random. After clicking LAST page again, it will usually insist on jumping pages back over and over.

On Ipad, appears to be the desktop formatted site. I have seen the mobile site on iPhone and it definitely looks different on iPad.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 12:49 pm
Administrator

Originally Posted by radiolarian
Page that it jumps to is random. After clicking LAST page again, it will usually insist on jumping pages back over and over.

On Ipad, appears to be the desktop formatted site. I have seen the mobile site on iPhone and it definitely looks different on iPad.
The desktop skin is not optimized for mobile devices. While you're not having a typical experience, it should be more stable when using the Mobile skin on your iPad. Alternatively, you could disable Infinite Scroll here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/prof...do=editoptions
Old Jun 25, 2018, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Its a shame that the massive CPU/resource usage is still not fixed... my activity on FT is significantly less because of it.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 11:16 am

Programs: UA 1mm Gold. Former 1K and GS.
Why do I even bother to come to FT anymore?

Pages take forever to load. The pages reload every minute or so and kick me back to the top of the thread....

I couldn't even read this thread to get advice before it reloads and kick me back to post #1 . Ridiculous.

FT used to be great but now it's just unbearable.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 11:33 am
Administrator

Originally Posted by climmy
Why do I even bother to come to FT anymore?

Pages take forever to load. The pages reload every minute or so and kick me back to the top of the thread....

I couldn't even read this thread to get advice before it reloads and kick me back to post #1 . Ridiculous.

FT used to be great but now it's just unbearable.
Do you have Infinite Scroll enabled? That's possibly part of why you get reverted to the first post.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA 1mm Gold. Former 1K and GS.
Originally Posted by IBJoel
Do you have Infinite Scroll enabled? That's possibly part of why you get reverted to the first post.
Yes I disabled infinite scroll a while ago. More specifically, it kicks me back to the very top of the page even when I've scrolled through a bunch of posts.

Last edited by climmy; Jul 10, 2019 at 1:38 pm Reason: spelling

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.