Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Issues with FT -- 2018 DESKTOP Devices BUG REPORTS

Old Jan 1, 2018, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
NOTE: Please see the 2018 DESKTOP BUG REPORTS thread here.
PLEASE POST SCREENSHOTS of the FULL SCREEN and report your DEVICE TYPE, OPERATING SYSTEM, BROWSER TYPE AND VERSIONS you are using in your post.This thread is strictly for the reporting bugs related to the 15 November 2017 upgrade of FlyerTalk on your DESKTOP device. (Please refrain from discussion or speculation about issues if they are not reports as specified here.)

Your full report (see above) will assist Internet Brands / FlyerTalk in handling these expeditiously. Admin / Tech attempts to respond to all reports speedily, but eliminating problems / bugs may require devising technical solutions that may require time. (Internet Brands operates during usual work hours on the U. S. West Coast; customary holidays, weekends, etc. are observed.)

To see how to include a screen shot in your post, once you have taken the screen shot follow the instructions "Inserting a photo or image from your device into a post:" in the first post in the thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/techn...mage-post.html

Some ways to reverse new features

1) Disabling infinite scroll: (see Post #2 for detail)
  • Go to My FlyerTalk Control Panel
  • Edit options
  • Disable Infinite Scroll

2) Restore previous post editing options: (see Post #3 for detail
  • Go to My FlyerTalk Control Panel
  • Settings and Options
  • Miscellaneous Options
  • Message Editor Interface and select Standard Editor -- extra formatting controls (you may see odd behavior in this unsupported editor)

NOTE: Internet Brands and FlyerTalk discourage the use of software that modifies your FlyerTalk browsing experience (e.g. ad blocking software). IB / FT declines all responsibility for the use of such software and can not provide support or assistance if such software is used. As well, we remind you IB / FT can only provide FlyerTalk free to members because of the financial support of advertisers; using ad blockers denies IB / FT income that would normally pay for your free community membership and browsing experience..

Posts advocating, suggesting, or recommending use of ad blocking etc. software will be summarily deleted.

Link to Archive of 2017 FT 15 Nov 2017 Upgrade Tech Thread - BUG REPORTS.

Print Wikipost

Old Jan 1, 2018, 6:00 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis

This is the rebooted and split thread to report bugs found in the 15 November 2017 FlyerTalk on DESKTOP devices.

There are separate threads for mobile devices as well as for disruptive advertisements and for browser redirects / hijacks, as well as other technical issues.

Thank you for keeping the thread on topic and assisting Tech to identify, troubleshoot and deal with bugs in this latest iteration of FlyerTalk for mobile devices.

cblaisd and JDiver, forum Co-Moderators
Old Jan 1, 2018, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Disabling Infinite Scroll on your desktop device

1) Disabling infinite scroll:
  • Go to My FlyerTalk
    • Go to Your Control Panel
      • Go to Settings & Options
        • Go to Edit options
          • Go to Thread Display Options box
            • Disable Infinite Scroll
Attached Images   

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 3, 2018 at 9:17 am
Old Jan 1, 2018, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

Restore pre-15 Nov 2017 post editing options

2) Restore previous post editing options:
  • Go to My FlyerTalk
    • Go to Your Control Panel
      • Go to Settings & Options
        • Go to Edit options
          • Go to Miscellaneous Options box
            • Message Editor Interface and select “Standard Editor -- extra formatting controls” (you may see odd behavior in this unsupported editor)
Attached Images   

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 1, 2018 at 7:00 pm
Old Jan 9, 2018, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
I actually don't mind infinite scroll (and you know me; I can't stand people who complain just because their cheese got moved :P) but there are a couple of annoyances with the refresh that I hope can be designed around:

1) It's rather difficult to get up to the wiki with infinite scroll, because when you scroll up, more page content gets loaded, so you never quite make it to the top. It seems that sort of forcefully rocketing to the very top of the page before new content can load will make it stick, but it's still poor UI and severely compromises the wiki product.
2) The new quick reply window is a little touchy. I've accidentally clicked outside (above) the box and lost several paragraphs of composed text. It also doesn't work with Multi-Quote, and the UI for making Multi-Quote work is not obvious (I think you actually have to scroll to the top of the page--not easy with infinite scroll--and click the Post Reply button up there).

Let me know if you're not able to replicate and I can post some screenshots or video walkthroughs or something.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 3:12 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
1. You COULD use the FIRST/LAST page link to get to the top immediately, although that will change your page as well. Yes, there is no TOP button, which I think is what you're after?
2. A. losing text: when I accidentally click outside the box, all I do is click Quick Reply again and my text is there. B. Quick Reply has never worked with multiquote; you must hit Reply. There is a Reply button on the IS rolling menu bar at the bottom.
jackal likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by IBobi
1. You COULD use the FIRST/LAST page link to get to the top immediately, although that will change your page as well. Yes, there is no TOP button, which I think is what you're after?
2. A. losing text: when I accidentally click outside the box, all I do is click Quick Reply again and my text is there. B. Quick Reply has never worked with multiquote; you must hit Reply. There is a Reply button on the IS rolling menu bar at the bottom.
Ah; I didn't notice the footer. It's quite a bit less bold than the 2005-era design of the rest of the site. :P

You're right about Quick Reply coming back with text in it.

As for the Wiki...I don't know what the solution is, but somehow it needs to be easier to get to the wiki. I don't know if a Top button necessarily is or isn't the solution; perhaps a mini two-line preview of the wiki needs to be displayed at the bottom of the header, or maybe there needs to be a "go to wiki" button in the footer nav bar, or whatever, but it's not particularly intuitive right now.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 4:04 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
On a usual page, with 2 sets of banner ads and lots of white space, there's only room to see one actual message before having to scroll down. That's bad enough, but sometimes the combination of wrapping title (totally unnecessary -- it should go above the right column ad), wikipost (5x as much whitespace as necessary) and wrapping of the page selector mean that there's no actual message data without scrolling down.

In particular, the post reply/page selector line should never be allowed to wrap.
Attached Images  
Old Jan 16, 2018, 8:51 am

Programs: BA
Quote button not bringing forward previous text in quote tags

When I select Quote, I now get a Reply to Thread screen that is blank, without the quoted text with quote tags around it.

IE 11.1804.14393.0

Do the same in Chrome and it works correctly.

Chrome 63.0.3239.132
Old Jan 16, 2018, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by WHBM
When I select Quote, I now get a Reply to Thread screen that is blank, without the quoted text with quote tags around it.

IE 11.1804.14393.0

Do the same in Chrome and it works correctly.

Chrome 63.0.3239.132
Quoting on IE test
Old Jan 16, 2018, 4:24 pm

Hmm seems to work ok here. Maybe try clearing your cache and turning off any ad blockers on IE.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 10:03 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
I've found that just in the past week, FT becomes unresponsive when I navigate the site using desktop Safari on Mac OS. I'm running Safari 11.0.3 on Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.3. The problem is always the same: I'm browsing as usual, but upon clicking some link -- it's always seemingly random which link triggers it -- the mouse pointer becomes the colored pinwheel and all links on the page become unclickable.

Safari itself isn't affected, and I can still close the tab as usual, so it's only an inconvenience at present. But the problems pops back up within a few minutes of visiting FT.

I'm confident it isn't just my setup, as it happens on two different machines running Mac OS, and I've cleared my entire history, cookies, and cache on both browsers. The clincher is that it also just started occurring on another forum I visit that uses the same bulletin board software.

Any other similar reports?
Old Feb 10, 2018, 4:29 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Further to my post of February 7, I've given up on Safari and switched to Firefox when visiting FT.

Happy to help troubleshoot if you think you can fix the problem with Safari though. I haven't noticed issues with any other sites except for another forum that also runs on vBulletin.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
Further to my post of February 7, I've given up on Safari and switched to Firefox when visiting FT.

Happy to help troubleshoot if you think you can fix the problem with Safari though. I haven't noticed issues with any other sites except for another forum that also runs on vBulletin.
Be sure to clear cache and turn off ad blockers.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA; Delta GM
I am having the problem listed above with the site freezing, but I'm using Chrome on a Mac. I cleared every single cookie, and I do not have an ad blocker running. Since I cleared the cookies, I can't even log into the site because it's completely unresponsive. It shut down Chrome earlier, but I managed to close the one tab this last time.

It seems to be waiting on two things to load. They both have ad in their name, but one is something like adnexus or something similar. I couldn't screen shot it because of the hanging issue. I'm currently on the same computer, using Safari which doesn't seem to be having the same issue. Hopefully.

ETA: I just had the same issue with Safari, but at least I was able to do a force reload on the page. It is clearly something related to ads loading.

Last edited by aquamarinesteph; Feb 12, 2018 at 7:49 pm Reason: added additional information
Old Feb 12, 2018, 8:08 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by aquamarinesteph
They both have ad in their name, but one is something like adnexus or something similar.
I still have that one trying to load in one of my open tabs: secure.adnxs.com.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.