Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Issues with FT -- 2018 MOBILE Devices BUG REPORTS

Old Jan 1, 2018, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
NOTE: Please see the 2019 Mobile Devices BUG REPORTS thread here.
PLEASE POST SCREENSHOTS of the FULL SCREEN and report your DEVICE TYPE, OPERATING SYSTEM, BROWSER TYPE AND VERSIONS you are using in your post.This thread is strictly for the reporting bugs related to the 15 November 2017 upgrade of FlyerTalk Mobile on your MOBILE device. (Please refrain from discussion or speculation about issues if they are not reports as specified here.)

Your full report (see above) will assist Internet Brands / FlyerTalk in handling these expeditiously. Admin / Tech attempts to respond to all reports speedily, but eliminating problems / bugs may require devising technical solutions that may require time. (Internet Brands operates during usual work hours on the U. S. West Coast; customary holidays, weekends, etc. are observed.)

To see how to include a screen shot in your post, once you have taken the screen shot follow the instructions "Inserting a photo or image from your device into a post:" in the first post in the thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/techn...mage-post.html

NOTE: Internet Brands and FlyerTalk discourage the use of software that modifies your FlyerTalk browsing experience (e.g. ad blocking software). IB / FT declines all responsibility for the use of such software and can not provide support or assistance if such software is used. As well, we remind you IB / FT can only provide FlyerTalk free to members because of the financial support of advertisers; using ad blockers denies IB / FT income that would normally pay for your free community membership and browsing experience..

Posts advocating, suggesting, or recommending use of ad blocking etc. software will be summarily deleted.

Link to Archive of 2017 FT 15 Nov 2017 Upgrade Tech Thread - BUG REPORTS.

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Issues with FT -- 2018 MOBILE Devices BUG REPORTS

Old Mar 1, 2018, 4:51 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

For anybody else that's using SwiftKey keyboard & chrome and Android devices, there is a fix coming for the issue where the keyboard becomes a PITA on FlyerTalk...

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/0...disqus-chrome/
IBobi likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 9:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
This site is a train wreck on mobile devices right now. Going to MyFlyerTalk used to give me a list of threads with new posts; now it just gives me a list of subscribed forums. Pages randomly jump back a page or two after loading. Re-sizing a page results in the banner ads obscuring the text. Can’t believe a site dedicated to people on the go has such an awful user experience on mobile devices.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 2:43 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by joe_miami
This site is a train wreck on mobile devices right now. Going to MyFlyerTalk used to give me a list of threads with new posts; now it just gives me a list of subscribed forums. Pages randomly jump back a page or two after loading. Re-sizing a page results in the banner ads obscuring the text. Can’t believe a site dedicated to people on the go has such an awful user experience on mobile devices.
For most people, I don't believe these issues are happening (we would be getting a lot more reports if they were). We are not seeing these issues in-house at all.

Please let us know what device and browser you're using, and if you're on the mobile skin or desktop.

If you can provide step by step directions to reproduce your issue(s), even better -- thank you!
Old Mar 5, 2018, 6:28 pm
Suspended

Thanks for the reply. I’m having the problems on an iPhone 7 using the built-in Safari browser. (The site is fine on my MacBook Pro and iPad.) If I use the mobile skin and go to MyFlyerTalk, I only get a list of subscribed forums and not the old list of subscribed threads with new posts. If I then choose to view the main site, the text is tiny, and any attempt to resize the text makes the ads float over the text.

I’d be very surprised if this is unique to me, as I’m on as standard of a mobile viewing experience as could be — iPhone plus iOS plus Safari. Thanks.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:08 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Pages randomly jump back a page or two after loading.
This is my #1 complaint about the site on mobile since the new skin came out.

I think it's because something that loaded asynchronously (maybe an image or CSS file) is applied which changes the height and it triggers the infinite scroll functionality. That's just a hunch though, I can't reproduce it reliably but it definitely happens a noticeable amount.

A possibly-related issue is that there's no way to get up to the wikipost any more. I used to be able to tap on the status bar clock (which scrolls to the top on iOS) but now when I do that it really quickly loads the previous page so I have to repeat over and over until I get all the way back to page 1

I have an iPhone 7 plus running the latest version of iOS 11
Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:11 pm

Thanks for the reply. I’m having the problems on an iPhone 7 using the built-in Safari browser. (The site is fine on my MacBook Pro and iPad.) If I use the mobile skin and go to MyFlyerTalk, I only get a list of subscribed forums and not the old list of subscribed threads with new posts. If I then choose to view the main site, the text is tiny, and any attempt to resize the text makes the ads float over the text.

I’d be very surprised if this is unique to me, as I’m on as standard of a mobile viewing experience as could be — iPhone plus iOS plus Safari. Thanks.
Now I understand better.

You have a combination of "that feature is not offered" and a bug that's been long reported. I don't have any news, except to recommend that you use the mobile skin instead of the desktop skin on your phone. I know there is no list of subscribed threads, but that feature is not yet added to mobile. I guess you will have to pick your poison, as it were, until things are fixed.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by getagb
This is my #1 complaint about the site on mobile since the new skin came out.

I think it's because something that loaded asynchronously (maybe an image or CSS file) is applied which changes the height and it triggers the infinite scroll functionality. That's just a hunch though, I can't reproduce it reliably but it definitely happens a noticeable amount.

A possibly-related issue is that there's no way to get up to the wikipost any more. I used to be able to tap on the status bar clock (which scrolls to the top on iOS) but now when I do that it really quickly loads the previous page so I have to repeat over and over until I get all the way back to page 1

I have an iPhone 7 plus running the latest version of iOS 11
There should be a gray nav bar on the bottom of your screen; tapping << will get you to the top of the thread where the wikipost lies.
JDiver likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:32 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by IBobi
There should be a gray nav bar on the bottom of your screen; tapping << will get you to the top of the thread where the wikipost lies.
Thanks, that's a good workaround which I hadn't noticed.
IBobi likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
I am experiencing that. It cleared up for a while when I reset my cache.

That being said, today, on my iPhone 8 it seems to have gone to desktop mode as everything is really small. I do not think I changed anything.
Anyone else notice this?

Edited to add: Fixed by resetting cache.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This may have already been addressed elsewhere but, save for the fake amazon.com hijack ads, there are two "features" that makes FT on mobile nearly unusable for me.

First, I use a 5" phone and I have no desire to go to a phablet. Quite often I have to pinch zoom in to read something and when I do, the right-justified ad bar "tears" away from the right side and fills the middle of the screen making it nearly impossible to read or edit.

Second, when editing a post, when I place the cursor in the text box the text that I am writing pops up and under the edit control box where it can't be seen as I am typing.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 10:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by anrkitec
This may have already been addressed elsewhere but, save for the fake amazon.com hijack ads, there are two "features" that makes FT on mobile nearly unusable for me.

First, I use a 5" phone and I have no desire to go to a phablet. Quite often I have to pinch zoom in to read something and when I do, the right-justified ad bar "tears" away from the right side and fills the middle of the screen making it nearly impossible to read or edit.

Second, when editing a post, when I place the cursor in the text box the text that I am writing pops up and under the edit control box where it can't be seen as I am typing.
The problem in the second paragraph is one I reported a few days ago. I also get the second problem as well.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 11:07 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by ashill
Mobile skin. I try scrolling down but there's no text further down. I also try switching to the source view (which I far prefer to the poor WYSIWYG editor); same issue there.

(Don't have access to my phone now so I can't test at the moment.)
I ran into this issue again.

I tried to edit this post (on an up-to-date iPhone 6s in Safari):

The edit screen looked like this:

I scrolled down in the text editing window; there was no text further down to edit. When I've encountered this in the past, if I save changes when I can't see any of my text (can only see the quotation), the saved post has indeed removed all of the text outside the quote tags. That suggests clearly to me that this is a bug in the text that makes it into the database, not merely a display bug in the edit window.

Incidentally, in this very post (typed on my Mac in up-to-date Safari), I hit Preview and then found that the second half of my post (everything from the second image, inclusive, down) was gone. I hit back a few times to get the second image and the text I had typed to return. I will now post without previewing (since even preview post doesn't seem to work), so hopefully this will be legible....
Old Mar 6, 2018, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by anrkitec

The problem in the second paragraph is one I reported a few days ago. I also get the second problem as well.
Both of these issues have been reported to our tech team. I do not have an ETA on a fix.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by ashill
I ran into this issue again.

I tried to edit this post (on an up-to-date iPhone 6s in Safari):
testing quote/editing on mobile
Old Mar 8, 2018, 11:52 am

Programs: Cessna TTx Self-Fly
Originally Posted by IBobi
On the jumping, prevailing wisdom is that you may be using very slow connections and the ads are still loading. Wait for the page to fully load and you will not see the screen jump.

The tool bar covering your typing is an issue that has been reported, and acknowledged, and I will update the thread when it's fixed. There is no ETA on that fix at this time. Wish I had better news.
@IBobi I have tried using desktop mode on my iPhone 6 and I have no issues of uncommanded scrolling. I've tried with Safari and Chrome with ad blockers on and off. No issues at all. Switch to desktop mode and random uncommanded scrolling still occurs, sometimes jumping backwards by 10+ pages with Safari and Chrome, again with ad blockers on an off.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.