Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Report Disruptive 2018 Ads on Mobile Device & Screen Shots

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
NOTE: the 2019 thread can be found here.

PLEASE POST SCREENSHOTS of the FULL SCREEN and report your DEVICE TYPE, OPERATING SYSTEM, BROWSER TYPE AND VERSIONS, and COUNTRY where you are browsing from in your post.This thread is strictly for the reporting of disruptive ads, including unwanted popups, page hijscks, malware attempts, etc. related to ad content on your MOBILE devicePlease refrain from discussion or speculation about technical issues if they are not reports as specified here.

Originally Posted by IBobi
We apologize for the bad ads. We hope in the new year to have a solution that handles them more proactively and quickly. Thank you for your patience!
Please see post #132 for further reading on this ongoing publishing industry issue (it's not just FlyerTalk) https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29310693-post132.html

We understand disruptive advertisements lessen the enjoyment of your FlyerTalk browsing experience. Please post all disruptive advertisement reports here; your full report (see above) will assist Internet Brands / FlyerTalk in handling these expeditiously. Admin / Tech attempts to respond to all reports speedily, but eliminating problem adverts may require communication with advertisements suppliers or devising technical solutions that may require time. (Internet Brands operates during customary and usual work hours on the U. S. West Coast; holidays, weekends, etc. are observed.)

To see how to include a screen shot in your post, once you have taken the screen shot follow the instructions "Inserting a photo or image from your device into a post:" in the first post in the thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/techn...mage-post.html

NOTE: Internet Brands and FlyerTalk discourage the use of software that modifies your FlyerTalk browsing experience (e.g. ad blocking software). IB / FT declines all responsibility for the use of such software and can not provide support or assistance if such software is used. As well, we remind you IB / FT can only provide FlyerTalk free to members because of the financial support of advertisers; using ad blockers denies IB / FT income that would normally pay for your free community membership and browsing experience..

Posts advocating, suggesting, or recommending use of ad blocking etc. software will be summarily deleted.

Link to Archive of 2017 posts

Link to Archive of older posts pre-2017.
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Report Disruptive 2018 Ads on Mobile Device & Screen Shots

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2018, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by pvn
Or, you can fix it yourself in about 30 seconds.
Yup, put the onus on the end user rather than clean up the malware on your site. Makes perfect sense.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 2:56 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Well, I guess you can stick to some weird principle of assuming every website in the world has your interests at heart and suffer until the end of eternity, the rest of us have taken steps and moved on.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 5:38 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Still working on this guys, thank you for your continued reports!
Old Jan 17, 2018, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian
I switched to the mobile version and makes no difference. Site is still plagued by that asinine amazon pop up ad.

Hello IT are you working on this please??
Still not fixed.. 18th January.. just got it again when I tried to access FT from mobile again after a few days where I simply left it aside from phone..

I considered FT to be professional. Not sure if this is still the case it they cant fix something like that.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 6:39 pm

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
4-5 days without the issue and it’s back now!!!!! This time it’s a different webpage address. I have no clue how to post a picture but I will email them.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 8:38 pm

Programs: DL GM
Can you provide a little bit more detail on what, exactly, you are doing from your side to fix this? This problem has been ongoing for as long as I've been a member and the site has been under siege by hijack ads in force for months now. This is a travel oriented website, there is a better than average chance that a significant chunk of its users are accessing it via mobile devices.

Not being able to access FlyerTalk from a mobile device without ads hijacking our browser every visit defeats the purpose, don't you think? I would think this site, more than any other IB branded site, would be getting more dedicated attention with regards to this issue than others in recognition of that fact. Luckily for me I'm able to access via desktop just as much as I previously did via mobile, but I imagine some users aren't able to do that at all. A little more transparency would be appreciate by all parties.
af fp, wrp96, CLEguy and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 9:35 pm

Programs: LH HON
For the record - I do only experience this issue when signed into a North American carrier (isp/telco). As I've just been to Asia, the issue doesn't come up there.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 11:43 pm
Suspended

I'm not a tech person so not really sure why this happening when on my pixel. Is this FT's issue or is it mine?

Honestly dont need to keep using FT so if its FT's issue and they wont fix it I just wont use the site any more. No biggie.
af fp likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 12:18 am

Programs: AA Plat
Fake Amazon Redirects

Just wanted to say +1 to the fake Amazon redirects on my iPhone. Happened 4 out of 5 times on Saturday. Thankfully I never look at FT on there so it's not a huge problem for me. Just wanted to check out my Meetup on the go.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 4:58 am

This one just popped up on my iPhone...

What is happening here? How hard is this to fix? Where does it come from?

Originally Posted by appleguru

Also getting the amazon scam ads...
Latest iOS 11, safari, iPhone X. Only fix is to disable cookies...
Old Jan 18, 2018, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K

I **MIGHT** consider removing my newly installed ... hmmmm, what shall I call it? how about “display and experience enhancer” ... but IB really needs to get on their site mechanization folks to **STOP** sidebar ads (and their own “Did you know?” notifications) from sliding over the main part of the phone screen when the user zooms the display to make it more readable
WIRunner, wrp96, strickerj and 1 others like this.

Last edited by jrl767; Jan 18, 2018 at 9:42 am Reason: couldn't add photo from my phone :/
Old Jan 18, 2018, 5:21 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Guys, I know it is frustrating; it's not just us, by a long shot:

https://www.wired.com/story/pop-up-m...-to-stop-them/

I hope to have some news in the next few weeks. Hang in there.

Paul
Old Jan 18, 2018, 6:25 pm

Programs: DL GM

Paul
From the article:

In the meantime, you can install mobile ad blockers to help avoid the pop-ups, and browsers have increasingly incorporated protections to limit malicious intrusions.
Recognizing that ad blocking software is the only (realistic) current defense for this, might I recommend FT ease off the aggressive policing of posts recommending ad blocking software and disable the aggressive red warning boxes shown in the post above? Even if just for a little while.

It is a bad look having such intrusive, malicious advertising and then aggressively going after users who are trying to help other users access your service. This is a completely user generated content site. I would venture to guess that having 10% (for example) of users access FT with an ad blocker and provide valuable content that draws additional users who are not using ad blockers to the site is better than having those 10% of users not access FT at all, generate zero content and reduce traffic as a whole.

People will use ad blockers to combat intrusive and malicious advertising whether FT censors and deletes every mention of them or not, might as well have a gesture of good will towards users and take it easy on them. They are trying to help people access your site after all and they are still positively contributing to your bottom line, whether you receive ad money from their clicks or not. Just a thought.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 7:00 pm
Suspended

Paul
Next few weeks? Are you taking the piss?
Old Jan 19, 2018, 1:32 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Using a UK sim card as hotspot. So many redirects. Nearly impossible to use FT. Stop these aggressive redirects now!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.