Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Report Disruptive 2018 Ads on Mobile Device & Screen Shots

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
NOTE: the 2019 thread can be found here.

PLEASE POST SCREENSHOTS of the FULL SCREEN and report your DEVICE TYPE, OPERATING SYSTEM, BROWSER TYPE AND VERSIONS, and COUNTRY where you are browsing from in your post.This thread is strictly for the reporting of disruptive ads, including unwanted popups, page hijscks, malware attempts, etc. related to ad content on your MOBILE devicePlease refrain from discussion or speculation about technical issues if they are not reports as specified here.

Originally Posted by IBobi
We apologize for the bad ads. We hope in the new year to have a solution that handles them more proactively and quickly. Thank you for your patience!
Please see post #132 for further reading on this ongoing publishing industry issue (it's not just FlyerTalk) https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29310693-post132.html

We understand disruptive advertisements lessen the enjoyment of your FlyerTalk browsing experience. Please post all disruptive advertisement reports here; your full report (see above) will assist Internet Brands / FlyerTalk in handling these expeditiously. Admin / Tech attempts to respond to all reports speedily, but eliminating problem adverts may require communication with advertisements suppliers or devising technical solutions that may require time. (Internet Brands operates during customary and usual work hours on the U. S. West Coast; holidays, weekends, etc. are observed.)

To see how to include a screen shot in your post, once you have taken the screen shot follow the instructions "Inserting a photo or image from your device into a post:" in the first post in the thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/techn...mage-post.html

NOTE: Internet Brands and FlyerTalk discourage the use of software that modifies your FlyerTalk browsing experience (e.g. ad blocking software). IB / FT declines all responsibility for the use of such software and can not provide support or assistance if such software is used. As well, we remind you IB / FT can only provide FlyerTalk free to members because of the financial support of advertisers; using ad blockers denies IB / FT income that would normally pay for your free community membership and browsing experience..

Posts advocating, suggesting, or recommending use of ad blocking etc. software will be summarily deleted.

Link to Archive of 2017 posts

Link to Archive of older posts pre-2017.
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Report Disruptive 2018 Ads on Mobile Device & Screen Shots

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2018, 5:39 pm

Programs: DL DM&MM, DL KMwannabe, HH, AA, TG,
Unwelcome popups

hrlp!
Once again, getting Amazon.com award pop ups which are clearly spam.
I have my browser set to block cookies and pop ups, I have rebooted my iPad and iPhone but they continue to appear on both.Any solutions?
swingaling likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 5:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
So annoying and driving my site visit and activity down
JBauer likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 5:48 pm

Programs: Skymiles GM
Agreed. What the hell is that about?
fotographer likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 5:49 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG/MR Plat, Kimpton IC, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Steve007NY
hrlp!
Once again, getting Amazon.com award pop ups which are clearly spam.
I have my browser set to block cookies and pop ups, I have rebooted my iPad and iPhone but they continue to appear on both.Any solutions?
super annoying.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Steve007NY
help!
Once again, getting Amazon.com award pop ups which are clearly spam. I have my browser set to block cookies and pop ups, I have rebooted my iPad and iPhone but they continue to appear on both.Any solutions?
A very common problem, as in this thread https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/tech...-feedback-386/

The solution is not to read FT. I have given up looking at FT on my phone.
Buster, JBauer and swingaling like this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 6:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
A very common problem, as in this thread https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/tech...-feedback-386/

The solution is not to read FT. I have given up looking at FT on my phone.
BoardingArea had a problem with spyware / malware ads about 1.5 years ago. Randy P. spent the money to stop it / end it and has spent much more since then to keep it that way!

I guess IB does not care to spend what it takes to keep readers safe?
Old Mar 12, 2018, 6:15 pm
GB

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton GLD
This issue has been going on for over a year and IB just gives it lip service. Nothing is ever done. No other large consumer facing website has this issue. I literally cannot view the site on my phone anymore. All of the feedback in the technical issues thread shows that IB just doesn't care.
BearX220, Buster and swingaling like this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I've seen several popups lately on FT coming from ads, trying to get me to 'upgrade my java' and download and install an obviously fake and likely malicious .js file.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
I would suggest uBlock Origin.

I have it installed with Firefox and I am not seeing any of the pop-ups mentioned above.

You do get annoying "Please turn off your adblocker" messages from FlyerTalk. However, if the above assertions are true and IB is ignoring common problems, then I feel much less guilty about using the ad blocker. (Actually, the level of guilty feelings was not that high to begin with.)
RumPatrol likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 7:22 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the FT Technical Support Forum
Thanks...
Obscure2k
Delta Moderator
Old Mar 12, 2018, 7:32 pm

Programs: DL Diamond MM, SPG Platinum, Skywards Silver
Solution

I downloaded AdGuard Pro app on my iPhone and never had a problem again. Totally worth it. It had gotten so bad.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 8:19 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter

I have it installed with Firefox and I am not seeing any of the pop-ups mentioned above.

You do get annoying "Please turn off your adblocker" messages from FlyerTalk. However, if the above assertions are true and IB is ignoring common problems, then I feel much less guilty about using the ad blocker. (Actually, the level of guilty feelings was not that high to begin with.)
I went so far as to use the element picker within uBlock Origin to completely remove the please turn off your adblocker message from the page. I don't think that is still possible on the "upgraded" version of FT because of how it is coded, but I browse FT without any pop ups, ads or messages anywhere and it is delightful. I no longer come near FT on mobile because there is just no way to get the popups/hijacks under control.

Not even going to apologize for it either. FT has been plagued with these issues for as long as I've been a member and it routinely happened even before that as a lurker. It is to the point now where I won't even take my adblocker off if () they even manage to fix it, FT has made it clear where their loyalty lies.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 8:21 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter

Another endorsement for uBlock Origin, it is the best. I resisted an Ad Blocker for a long time but the final straw that broke the camel's back for me was a couple of years ago when my not too old mainstream laptop with a Core i7 but with only integrated graphics was bogging so bad on some some FlyerTalk ads that it literally made FT almost unusable for me. After installing an Ad Blocker I was able to read FT again. I had issues with other sites but for some reason the ads on FT at the time were bogging my system down worse than anyplace else.

IIRC there are some users here that are grandfathered in on a lifetime no ad program that is no longer available. That's what I would prefer and if the cost is reasonable I do not mind paying for it. I cannot live with unusable browsing.

One caveat of the ad blocker is that there are a few sites that do not work with it and you have to disable it for those sites or pages on those sites. These are usually sites where you have to submit a form and suffer some JavaScript or Flash animation while waiting for results. Other than that it has been great.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 8:51 pm

Crystal app cost me 99 cents and I have no more popups.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 10:03 pm
ymx

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA EXP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist
AdBlocker no longer seems to work on iOS. Anyone else seeing this too?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.