Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Report Disruptive 2018 Ads on Mobile Device & Screen Shots

Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
NOTE: the 2019 thread can be found here.

PLEASE POST SCREENSHOTS of the FULL SCREEN and report your DEVICE TYPE, OPERATING SYSTEM, BROWSER TYPE AND VERSIONS, and COUNTRY where you are browsing from in your post.This thread is strictly for the reporting of disruptive ads, including unwanted popups, page hijscks, malware attempts, etc. related to ad content on your MOBILE devicePlease refrain from discussion or speculation about technical issues if they are not reports as specified here.

Originally Posted by IBobi
We apologize for the bad ads. We hope in the new year to have a solution that handles them more proactively and quickly. Thank you for your patience!
Please see post #132 for further reading on this ongoing publishing industry issue (it's not just FlyerTalk) https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29310693-post132.html

We understand disruptive advertisements lessen the enjoyment of your FlyerTalk browsing experience. Please post all disruptive advertisement reports here; your full report (see above) will assist Internet Brands / FlyerTalk in handling these expeditiously. Admin / Tech attempts to respond to all reports speedily, but eliminating problem adverts may require communication with advertisements suppliers or devising technical solutions that may require time. (Internet Brands operates during customary and usual work hours on the U. S. West Coast; holidays, weekends, etc. are observed.)

To see how to include a screen shot in your post, once you have taken the screen shot follow the instructions "Inserting a photo or image from your device into a post:" in the first post in the thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/techn...mage-post.html

NOTE: Internet Brands and FlyerTalk discourage the use of software that modifies your FlyerTalk browsing experience (e.g. ad blocking software). IB / FT declines all responsibility for the use of such software and can not provide support or assistance if such software is used. As well, we remind you IB / FT can only provide FlyerTalk free to members because of the financial support of advertisers; using ad blockers denies IB / FT income that would normally pay for your free community membership and browsing experience..

Posts advocating, suggesting, or recommending use of ad blocking etc. software will be summarily deleted.

Link to Archive of 2017 posts

Link to Archive of older posts pre-2017.
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Report Disruptive 2018 Ads on Mobile Device & Screen Shots

Old Jan 11, 2018, 11:57 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by pvn
Use an ad blocker. I'm sympathetic to the argument that free websites like FT need ad revenue but the fact that some of them allow these insanely obnoxious ads completely destroys that.
I don’t know how the whole internet ad process works but it seems unlikely that FT is getting paid for these. They’re scams, not real ads.
rufflesinc likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 11:57 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by safigan
The popups are not due to FlyerTalk. You have malware on your iPad.
malware??? On an iPad.....? Uhh....
rufflesinc likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 12:23 am

Programs: Alaska 100k
This is false. It is well documented that FT’s ad provider occasionally serves scam ads and pop ups. See the thread linked above for a long list of complaints about it.
wrp96 and FlyerTalkUserName like this.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 2:00 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Only seems to affect iOS users?
Old Jan 12, 2018, 2:11 am

Programs: DL DM&MM, DL KMwannabe, HH, AA, TG,
OP
Blocking pop ups and cookies seems to be working.
It’s hard to imagine that FT would accept ads which pop up and put you off of flyertalk :-)
Old Jan 12, 2018, 2:57 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Flat - Out - WRONG!

The problem is IB = FlyerTalk is not spending the money to block ads with malware = spyware.

BoardingArea had this issue about a year and a half ago and Randy P. spent tons to get it cleaned up for good. I took all BA ads down on my blog for a few months until it was 100% fixed.

The issue is not only on iOS but on Android as well. I now only use FT on my PC with full ad blocking as only safe way to use this site!

hi55us and FlyerTalkUserName like this.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 3:24 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Same adds on my iPhone as well... FT is basically unusable on my mobile device... very very disappointing... will have to look into what I need to do but this is the sort of user experience that drives people away... maybe disable mobile ads for a bit while y'all are trying to get this sorted out and then gradually re-enable them?

FDW
Old Jan 12, 2018, 3:43 am

Originally Posted by FlyerTalkUserName

Like others, getting hit with these in Chrome version 63.0.3239.03. iOS11.2.2. iPhone model A1549. Absolutely miserable.
Switched to Safari when viewing FT on mobile and the problems went away. Not ideal, but it works for now. Continually having to login so not sure if it’s something in my safari settings related to cookies/remember me that resolves the issue or just Safari in general.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 4:08 am

The best 99 cents I ever spent! I bought an app called Crystal for my iPhone and now I can finally read flyertalk uninterrupted.

Last edited by sydneyracquelle; Jan 12, 2018 at 4:30 am
Old Jan 12, 2018, 4:25 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
iPhone X
iOS 11.2.2 (latest public release)
Safari browser

FlyerTalk completely unusable, logged in or logged out. Getting this redirect every single time I open an FT page.

I am going to do one more "Website Data" full delete - and that will be it. I'll stop coming to Flyertalk before I keep dealing with this nonsense. You folks need to either disable ads temporarily or find a solution but I'm not going to keep letting these malicious ads write their junk all over my browser data. This is unacceptable and telling us that you "hope to have a solution in the new year" isn't good enough, frankly.

I like FlyerTalk enough that I'd pay for a (reasonable) subscription to disable ads permanently. Please consider this option.

chavala likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 4:38 am

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
The best 99 cents I ever spent! I bought an app called Crystal for my iPhone and now I can finally read flyertalk uninterrupted.
Adguard was free. It works well also. Make sure you turn it On under the settings menu. Also make sure you clear web data.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 4:42 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Similarly, while recently being affected by these ads every so often, on opening flyertalk today in Safari one in loading 10-15 seconds after loading the site, on each an every occasion, rendering it completely unusable

A forum similarly affected for me, with the same ads, is efestivals

Last edited by Cap'n Benj; Jan 12, 2018 at 5:33 am
Old Jan 12, 2018, 4:43 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Uhh yeah no thats not right.
FlyerTalkUserName likes this.
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
How about FlyerTalk better vets its ad companies?

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
I’ve used the Norton Ad Blocker on my iPad for over a year. It works well for me. I got a message or two from Flyertalk asking me not to use and respectfully replied. I also find that using the ad blocker alleviates the problem of ads that reformatted thank distorted the pages. Much better.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.