Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

New Member Posting Restriction [URL - link - image]

Old May 13, 2019, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

As a brand new member, we want you to feel welcome to our frequent traveler community of over 600,000.

Some spammers also sign up and create spurious accounts to spam us, or spam our members privately without posting. We have found the most effective way to protect our members from unwanted spam include:

1) Allow new members a maximum of five posts a day initially. (We wont reveal how many posts you must make to be released from this condition because wed be giving it away to spammers, but its really not onerous.)

2) New members are not allowed to post web links, image links, URLs. If you attempt doing so, your post will be hidden temporarily until a Moderator can review and approve it.

3) New members can make new posts or start new threads, but some posts and new threads may be hidden temporarily and sent to the moderation queue for review and approval.

4) New members are restricted in how many Private Messages they can send initially. We have found a few have taken advantage of signing up for an account to spam members with PMs.

(If you encounter any glitches, such as a message warning you cant post a URL but dont have one in your proposed post, let us know here or contact a Moderator in the forum youre trying to post in. A glitch existed for a short time, but we think it was fixed.)

We apologize for any frustration you might experience from this initial throttling back of your activity, knowing you might have a number of questions that brought you to establish an account, or that now that youve found us youre enthusiastic and want to participate fully in our community. As you become more active, we also suspect youll appreciate how we value your privacy and protect you from unwanted spam.

The Administrators and Forum Co-Moderators

Print Wikipost

New Member Posting Restriction [URL - link - image]

Old Dec 9, 2018, 8:29 pm

I'm having the same problem. I'm trying to make a post with no images or URLs, but get the error others have pointed out above.

I even pasted the text of the post into Word as unformatted, and then copied it back into the FT window to make sure there was no complicated formatting, and still get the error message.

I can't even post the message here to show you all! Help please? I'm not trying to get around a rule; I really can't figure out what in the world is going wrong.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 8:24 am
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
Originally Posted by ARLVADCA
I'm having the same problem. I'm trying to make a post with no images or URLs, but get the error others have pointed out above.

I even pasted the text of the post into Word as unformatted, and then copied it back into the FT window to make sure there was no complicated formatting, and still get the error message.

I can't even post the message here to show you all! Help please? I'm not trying to get around a rule; I really can't figure out what in the world is going wrong.
Could you please send me the text? [email protected]
JDiver likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 6:12 pm

Why can I not post a new thread? I subscribed to this back in 2014 and am just now getting back on.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oklamom
Why can I not post a new thread? I subscribed to this back in 2014 and am just now getting back on.
oklamom
Because you only have 5 posts.
Tomorrow you will get more access to FT
The 5 post limit is a spam prevention measure

And welcome back to FT ^
Old Jan 29, 2019, 9:45 am

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Because you only have 5 posts.

And welcome back to FT ^
Thanks! Here it is 5 days later and I still can not post a new thread. UGH! I'm actually wanting some car rental info. Actually discount codes.

Oh and how do I edit to where I get emails when someone answers my question? Thank you!
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
I'm actually wanting some car rental info. Actually discount codes.
You can find car-rental discount codes in the FT car-rental forums (Avis/Budget, Hertz, National).
Old Jan 29, 2019, 2:27 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Thanks! Here it is 5 days later and I still can not post a new thread. UGH! I'm actually wanting some car rental info. Actually discount codes.

Oh and how do I edit to where I get emails when someone answers my question? Thank you!

Here's the link to all of the car rental forums. There are sub-forums for many specific, such as Hertz, Avis, and National:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/car-...-services-392/

You can edit your personal options here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/prof...do=editoptions

You can set it to receive an email when someone replies to a thread you start, and there's a few other options on that page.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 2:28 pm

To edit your email address? At least on a desktop browser:

Quick Links
Edit Your Details
Edit Email & Password

Or if you want to change it so you get an email on a thread of interest to you, with the thread open,:

Subscribe to this Thread
Notification type: Instant notification by email.

But I see that a mod posted a more complete option while I was typing this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 8:30 pm

Just ran into the "URL" image when not actually trying to post a URL. Apparently the regex thinks the good old fashioned hashtag, number sign, pound sign, symbol-that-must-not-be-named is a URL. So much for numbered lists!
Old Mar 11, 2019, 3:57 am

Originally Posted by anita46
Still won't let me post on the UA forum...its just a question about cancelling and rebooking and this is the message I keep getting: You are not allowed to post URLs until you have at least 5 posts

Well I tried to post the question to this forum but no go...thinking it must be my computer? Anyway this will be my 5th post sooo maybe it solves the prob...

This happened to me too
Old Mar 11, 2019, 10:54 am
RETIRED; DO NOT PM

Because you only have 4 posts.
JDiver likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:34 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Posts in the support/off topic areas do not count toward post count.
JDiver likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:28 am

Thank you. I was getting this same error message so this is helpful.
JDiver likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 2:51 am

Programs: KF*G
Had to look up this thread to find out that an image is considered a URL
JDiver likes this.
Old May 12, 2019, 9:08 am

Access for new posters

I am limited to post 5 times per day and do not appear to be allowed create new threads.
These restrictions make the site pretty pointless. How can I get the restrictions lifted?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.