Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

New Member Posting Restriction [URL - link - image]

Old May 13, 2019, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

As a brand new member, we want you to feel welcome to our frequent traveler community of over 600,000.

Some spammers also sign up and create spurious accounts to spam us, or spam our members privately without posting. We have found the most effective way to protect our members from unwanted spam include:

1) Allow new members a maximum of five posts a day initially. (We wont reveal how many posts you must make to be released from this condition because wed be giving it away to spammers, but its really not onerous.)

2) New members are not allowed to post web links, image links, URLs. If you attempt doing so, your post will be hidden temporarily until a Moderator can review and approve it.

3) New members can make new posts or start new threads, but some posts and new threads may be hidden temporarily and sent to the moderation queue for review and approval.

4) New members are restricted in how many Private Messages they can send initially. We have found a few have taken advantage of signing up for an account to spam members with PMs.

(If you encounter any glitches, such as a message warning you cant post a URL but dont have one in your proposed post, let us know here or contact a Moderator in the forum youre trying to post in. A glitch existed for a short time, but we think it was fixed.)

We apologize for any frustration you might experience from this initial throttling back of your activity, knowing you might have a number of questions that brought you to establish an account, or that now that youve found us youre enthusiastic and want to participate fully in our community. As you become more active, we also suspect youll appreciate how we value your privacy and protect you from unwanted spam.

The Administrators and Forum Co-Moderators

Print Wikipost

New Member Posting Restriction [URL - link - image]

Old Nov 24, 2017, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Arrow New Member Posting Restriction [URL - link - image]

Apologies...but I am having difficulty posting...what is the URL I must have 5 posts before using...?
TIA
Old Nov 24, 2017, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by anita46
Apologies...but I am having difficulty posting...what is the URL I must have 5 posts before using...?
TIA
But you just posted???
Old Nov 24, 2017, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

LOL...but it won't let me post at the UA forum only here...well other than the UA forum this is the only other place I've tried....Do you know why it thinks Im posting a URL..? And what does flyertalk consider a "URL"?
Old Nov 27, 2017, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anita46
LOL...but it won't let me post at the UA forum only here...well other than the UA forum this is the only other place I've tried....Do you know why it thinks Im posting a URL..? And what does flyertalk consider a "URL"?
Newbies are restricted on posting links (URL's) to reduce spamming.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 5:31 am
Original Poster

But that's what's weird ...I wasn't posting a url...just post asking about cancelling and rebooking. I'm going back to UA forum and to try again...fingers crossed.
Thanks for responding!
Old Nov 28, 2017, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Is that new?
Old Nov 28, 2017, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Still won't let me post on the UA forum...its just a question about cancelling and rebooking and this is the message I keep getting: You are not allowed to post URLs until you have at least 5 posts

Well I tried to post the question to this forum but no go...thinking it must be my computer? Anyway this will be my 5th post sooo maybe it solves the prob...

Last edited by beckoa; Dec 12, 2017 at 8:42 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts
Old Nov 29, 2017, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joshwex90
Is that new?
My limited understanding is restrictions on newbie's is continually evolving in the ongoing battle against spammers.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 5:27 pm

can I post a link to a new points blog

I've been a member of FT for awhile but haven't posted much. Will I be able to post a link to a new points blog in any of the forums? Thanks,
Old Dec 1, 2017, 9:08 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
No hyperlinks for new/low-post-count members...

Originally Posted by MillionMileGuy
Will I be able to post a link to a new points blog in any of the forums?
Would this blog be your own blog? If so, FT prohibits self-promoting posts/threads.

Also pay attention to FT TOS, if such a blog is of commercial nature:

All other posts of a commercial nature – whether in a post, signature or profile – are prohibited. In this rule, commercial posts include those containing promotional messages for commercial products or services, including but not limited to internet sites and business advertisements.
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Is that new?
No, it's been implemented for quite some while. See existing master thread over Technical Support Forum:

Moderator must approve post / approval queue / my post doesn't show / is missing
JDiver likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 8:00 am

Programs: AC SE/1MM, Bonvoy Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, ALL Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Same problem as Anita 46. How do I just post , as opposed to accidentally posting a url?

I can like other posts in the string of interest and I can/did post to newbie roll call, but when I try to post in the thread of interest, I get the error.

Last edited by cblaisd; Dec 12, 2017 at 9:56 pm Reason: merged poster's two consecutive posts
Old Dec 12, 2017, 10:20 am

my first thread/post says i cant due to use of a URL

Originally Posted by aBroadAbroad
We get it. FlyerTalk is big. It's really big. And finding your way around this site is not always intuitive. So we've begun compiling a topic index to help you figure out where to get the info you need, and where to post your questions if you don't actually find what you're seeking.

If you don't see your topic on the list, please let us know!

Thanks!

The Information Desk Moderation Team
Trying to make my first post/thread but when i submit i get a message to say that i'm not allowed to use URL's for first 5 posts...but there arent any in my post.

Can someone help
Old Dec 12, 2017, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Angelot
Trying to make my first post/thread but when I submit I get a message to say that I'm not allowed to use URL's for first 5 posts...but there aren't any in my post.
Are you trying to post some sort of link or a photo?
Old Dec 13, 2017, 11:30 am

I'm not sure whether this is the right place to ask this - how do I become an established community member? How many posts in order to reach that? Help please.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by angelicious
I'm not sure whether this is the right place to ask this - how do I become an established community member? How many posts in order to reach that? Help please.
Look here (as link above)
Becoming "established member" / remove the 5 Private Message per 24 hrs limit?.
Moderator must approve post / approval queue / my post doesn't show / is missing
Click to open the wiki. Be patient.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.