FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Support and Feedback (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/technical-support-feedback-386/)
-   -   Mobile view keeps jumping backwards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/technical-support-feedback/1878396-mobile-view-keeps-jumping-backwards.html)

EsherFlyer Nov 19, 2017 12:44 pm

Mobile view keeps jumping backwards

On my Windows Phone 8 device I find that the view very often jumps back up thread. For example, I was reading a 7 page thread. The double chevron takes me to top of page 7 (whatever that means in an infinite scroll experience...). I start reading and scrolling down. Suddenly I'm on page 5, then 3. I can jump back to page 7, but the same happens.

Is that common to other devices as well?

Mwenenzi Nov 20, 2017 1:52 am

Go to "quick link" "edit options" and disable infinite scroll
Infinite scroll is the default setting :td:

EsherFlyer Nov 20, 2017 6:15 am

Already set, and being honoured in my desktop browsing so is sticky on my profile.

I suspect I'd be OK with infinity in my phone if it worked OK. May never find out :rolleyes: :D...

OttawaMark Nov 20, 2017 10:03 am

Originally Posted by EsherFlyer (Post 29080597)
Already set, and being honoured in my desktop browsing so is sticky on my profile.

I suspect I'd be OK with infinity in my phone if it worked OK. May never find out :rolleyes: :D...

I'm seeing this on my iPhone too. I have infinite scroll disabled for the desktop version. The mobile version is, for me, so frustrating with the jumping that I'm no longer using it. I'm just using the desktop version with ads blocked so as to keep system resource use to normal levels.

EsherFlyer Nov 20, 2017 1:56 pm

Maybe infinite scroll is disabled in my mobile view :confused:. I can't scroll up, but can scroll down, and have a page selector with jump to start / end chevron buttons.

Really can't tell how it's supposed to work, and hence whether I'm seeing mostly the right thing.

Random jumping around presumably not "right thing" though :(

EsherFlyer Nov 21, 2017 10:38 am

@IBobi, @IBJoel

Any chance you could pull the posts in the update issues thread that are about scroll jumping into here to provide a bit more streamlined discussion of it?

EsherFlyer Nov 30, 2017 12:53 am

@IBobi

Is any work being done on the backward jumps that happen when using the mobile view? It's a cruel joke at the moment, particularly with larger threads. Like trying to cross a room tied with a big rubber rope. You nearly get to where you want to, then get hauled back to a completely different place.

pushmyredbutton Nov 30, 2017 9:11 am

Originally Posted by EsherFlyer (Post 29116737)
@IBobi

Is any work being done on the backward jumps that happen when using the mobile view? It's a cruel joke at the moment, particularly with larger threads. Like trying to cross a room tied with a big rubber rope. You nearly get to where you want to, then get hauled back to a completely different place.

This is still a huge issue for me as well. In 2+ weeks, nothing's been done or acknowledged, even in the bug thread, so I don't have high hopes.

OttawaMark Nov 30, 2017 10:05 am

Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton (Post 29117958)
This is still a huge issue for me as well. In 2+ weeks, nothing's been done or acknowledged, even in the bug thread, so I don't have high hopes.

I've stopped using mobile. I can put up with mobile ads but I cannot put up with the random scrolling. So now it's desktop browsing (with ad blocker to keep the fans from screaming) for me.

IBobi Nov 30, 2017 12:43 pm

We are not seeing this behavior. Can someone get a video of it, and let us know what device and browser you're using?

Also, this should go without saying... are you waiting for the page to fully load before scrolling? When the ads drop in, this can cause page jitters.

EsherFlyer Dec 1, 2017 6:45 am

Originally Posted by IBobi (Post 29118828)
We are not seeing this behavior. Can someone get a video of it, and let us know what device and browser you're using?

Also, this should go without saying... are you waiting for the page to fully load before scrolling? When the ads drop in, this can cause page jitters.

@IBobi, are you suggesting that adverts loading further up the page are pushing message content downwards with the effect that the portion being viewed moves up the thread? That would be consistent with what is being seen by me, but design madness. How are we supposed to know when off page ads have finished loading?

IBobi Dec 1, 2017 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by EsherFlyer (Post 29121598)
@IBobi, are you suggesting that adverts loading further up the page are pushing message content downwards with the effect that the portion being viewed moves up the thread? That would be consistent with what is being seen by me, but design madness. How are we supposed to know when off page ads have finished loading?

Well first, I am not seeing this behavior. If someone can video it, or provide step by step instructions with your system details, on how to reproduce, I can show that to me tech team at least.

rustykettel Dec 5, 2017 12:20 am

I see that continual jumping particularly in threads heavy with pictures such as the various airline meal threads. Between infinite scroll loading a large number of posts and the images in each one, it seems like it jumps forever.