1) Disabling infinite scroll:
  • Go to My FlyerTalk Control Panel
    • Edit options
      • Disable Infinite Scroll

2) Restore previous post editing options:
  • Go to My FlyerTalk Control Panel
    • Settings and Options
      • Miscellaneous Options
        • Message Editor Interface and select “Standard Editor -- extra formatting controls” (you may see odd behavior in this unsupported editor)

NOTE: For ease of both members posting and Technical Support, this thread has been split into two threads for 2018; one exclusively for MOBILE devices, the other for DESKTOP devices. You can find them here:

2018 FT Nov 2017 Upgrade for DESKTOP Devices BUG REPORTS (link), and

2018 FT Nov 2017 Upgrade for MOBILE Devices BUG REPORTS
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: FT 15 Nov 2017 Upgrade Tech Thread - 2017 BUG REPORTS

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2017, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by serpens
Since the dawn of the world wide web, it has baffled me that web page developers believe that the world should switch to their hardware and software and network capabilities rather than develop a site for the varied platforms of the target users.

This polemic is not directed at IBobi, nor at IB, but at web developers in general. However, if the shoe fits, feel free to wear it.
There's a cost associated with supporting older & outdated technologies (IE6 is a great example). As the number of people using the older tech drop, it makes little economic sense to continue pouring in resources to support older tech. The same (limited) resources can often be put to better use. Web developers are typically not the ones to make this call. Its a business decision (cost vs benefit).
IBobi likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by sorab
There's a cost associated with supporting older & outdated technologies (IE6 is a great example). As the number of people using the older tech drop, it makes little economic sense to continue pouring in resources to support older tech. The same (limited) resources can often be put to better use. Web developers are typically not the ones to make this call. Its a business decision (cost vs benefit).
I agree somewhat with this, but when you have complaints from people using the most current IOS on an iPad AND the most current versions of Chrome, Firefox, etc whatever on a desktop, then there is an issue. I haven't seen many requests that something work on IE6, but I have seen a lot of complaints about it not rendering properly on the most current phones and tablets which for a website geared to frequent travelers is crazy (especially since there is no longer a FT app either).
Old Dec 6, 2017, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by sorab
That makes sense for stuff that is obsolete. But I suspect that there are a lot of people here who are struggling with the new interface even though they are using reasonably up-to-date kit. One of the difficulties I have found with tech developers is that they tend to use and/or be provided with top-of-the-range equipment and facilities, on which everything works perfectly - but they never test it properly on equipment that is only a couple of years old, or on internet connections that are closer to what the real world achieves at home.

The point blank refusal of IB to contemplate any changes suggests to me that the desire to make money from FT usage has taken firm root as the absolute number one priority here. I still sadly remember what happened to another forum which is now in the IB stable, when its focus changed from providing a service for debate and information exchange to making money: the quality of discussion deteriorated, and the site became much less useful. Some here may recognise that as PPRuNe.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by wrp96
I agree somewhat with this, but when you have complaints from people using the most current IOS on an iPad AND the most current versions of Chrome, Firefox, etc whatever on a desktop, then there is an issue. I haven't seen many requests that something work on IE6, but I have seen a lot of complaints about it not rendering properly on the most current phones and tablets which for a website geared to frequent travelers is crazy (especially since there is no longer a FT app either).
My comment wasn't related to the new FT changes (IMO - poorly executed), but as a Web Developer (not at IB), I wanted to highlight why many websites don't always support every possible browser/device.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
That makes sense for stuff that is obsolete. But I suspect that there are a lot of people here who are struggling with the new interface even though they are using reasonably up-to-date kit. One of the difficulties I have found with tech developers is that they tend to use and/or be provided with top-of-the-range equipment and facilities, on which everything works perfectly - but they never test it properly on equipment that is only a couple of years old, or on internet connections that are closer to what the real world achieves at home.

The point blank refusal of IB to contemplate any changes suggests to me that the desire to make money from FT usage has taken firm root as the absolute number one priority here. I still sadly remember what happened to another forum which is now in the IB stable, when its focus changed from providing a service for debate and information exchange to making money: the quality of discussion deteriorated, and the site became much less useful. Some here may recognise that as PPRuNe.
I agree, but this is a problem with how IB handled these changes & not tech/web developers in general. There are developers with top of the line equipment at Apple, Google, Facebook and countless other companies but you won't see such problems in their products. Its ultimately a matter of how much time & effort the company is willing to put in & whether they're focused on meeting a release deadline no matter what or ensuring that the product is up to mark. Sadly in this case, there appears to be a rush to release without enough consideration to design, usability & testing.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 12:39 pm
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Globaliser
It's more than $ just being a higher priority on the list - it appears user experience has dropped off the list completely.

Funny though that PPRuNe doesn't appear to have Infinite Scroll enabled... hmmmmm, curious.

And all this despite this post by IBobi from mid-January:

Originally Posted by IBobi
When new features are in the works, we make every effort to weigh business and community considerations, and then make a decision based on our best possible balance between both.
Let's just be honest with ourselves here, IB - the post I just quoted doesn't pass the sniff test. A nearly-constant stream of posts indicating how much this feature is hated (as well as others that have received similar reviews) should have tipped the scales toward "maybe this is a bad idea" by now. The decision to leave it appears to have been 100% business consideration and 0% community consideration. To state otherwise would just be flat out insulting to our intelligence.
Buster likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Money, she don't talk, she shouts! Show me da money! That's what this is all about and if "implementation of new forum software = increased revenue" then this is a success. That's the metric, 'Tis obvious that given the sparse replies now that they really could not care less if they took out an advert in the NYT saying "we couldn't care less".
Old Dec 6, 2017, 1:56 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
it seems to be heating up and getting a bit unwelcoming here. The FlyerTalk Rules we all agreed to adhere to apply to this forum as well as others. That includes not becoming overly personal, snarky, using attacks and being civil in our posts.

I’m sure we all have the ability to share even strong feelings without reverting to boorish posting behavior when we give solicited feedback. The best and most effective feedback is descriptive and specific, honestly felt and given without rancor or animus that could affect others, including those the feedback is directed to. Don’t assume or cast attributions about others’ presumed motivations or intent if they haven’t declared those.

Thank you for keeping FlyerTalk friendly and civil to all.

Link to FlyerTalk Rules for reference

JDiver, Co-Moderator
Old Dec 7, 2017, 2:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
On a small device at the moment, but what was a very useful post by @Microwave has been made ineffective.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27013258-post229.html

The images no longer work. The image URL's are the of the form:

[img]http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/members/microwave-albums-microwave-picture14020-pic1.jpg[/img]

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 7, 2017 at 8:56 am Reason: Force link
Old Dec 7, 2017, 8:57 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by serfty
On a small device at the moment, but what was a very useful post by @Microwave has been made ineffective.

[img]http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/members/microwave-albums-microwave-picture14020-pic1.jpg[/img]
Thanks for reporting this glitch (which has been reported previously).

The images are no longer available via those links. It’s the source of those images, unfortunately right here at FT.

Sending Microwave a PM letting him know the links no longer work, and asking him if he would be so kind as to upload them via the FT upload / attachment manager can result in graphics that do not rely on links and another page source - it might be quicker than waiting for this particular glitch, which has iirc been mentioned previously, to get repaired.

Admin, this issue still needs to be addressed by the Tech folks. The FT member albums feature seems to no longer work.

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 7, 2017 at 9:04 am
Old Dec 7, 2017, 3:33 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat

Originally Posted by JDiver
Thanks for reporting this glitch (which has been reported previously).

The images are no longer available via those links. It’s the source of those images, unfortunately right here at FT.

Sending Microwave a PM letting him know the links no longer work, and asking him if he would be so kind as to upload them via the FT upload / attachment manager can result in graphics that do not rely on links and another page source - it might be quicker than waiting for this particular glitch, which has iirc been mentioned previously, to get repaired.

Admin, this issue still needs to be addressed by the Tech folks. The FT member albums feature seems to no longer work.
Issue has been reported to tech.
JDiver likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 2:14 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Not sure if connected to something I mentioned earlier, but since my seeing of the Emirates ads has stopped, my crashes in IE every few seconds are practically non-existent. Either it was them or something has been altered forum wise.

Do still occasionally get the odd issue where the bottom of the page doesn't load for between 10-30secs. The page seems to be dealing with some advert loading / placement and when it decides to place that properly, the bottom appears.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
xenole ... page loading issue affects me on iPad/Safari as well. I just have to wait, as you do, for the adverts to finish loading. Tends to be worse when the Adverts use animated .gif images, which as we all know ... WE are not allowed to use
Old Dec 8, 2017, 10:09 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by xenole
Do still occasionally get the odd issue where the bottom of the page doesn't load for between 10-30secs.
This.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 1:53 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat

Looks to be fixed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.