1) Disabling infinite scroll:
  • Go to My FlyerTalk Control Panel
    • Edit options
      • Disable Infinite Scroll

2) Restore previous post editing options:
  • Go to My FlyerTalk Control Panel
    • Settings and Options
      • Miscellaneous Options
        • Message Editor Interface and select Standard Editor -- extra formatting controls (you may see odd behavior in this unsupported editor)

NOTE: For ease of both members posting and Technical Support, this thread has been split into two threads for 2018; one exclusively for MOBILE devices, the other for DESKTOP devices. You can find them here:

2018 FT Nov 2017 Upgrade for DESKTOP Devices BUG REPORTS (link), and

2018 FT Nov 2017 Upgrade for MOBILE Devices BUG REPORTS
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: FT 15 Nov 2017 Upgrade Tech Thread - 2017 BUG REPORTS

Old Nov 20, 2017, 1:05 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

I do not mean to add to your workload, IBJoel; but might I suggest that you keep a running WikiPost of the problems and suggestions which have been raised and addressed so that members of FlyerTalk can keep track and avoid asking questions which have already been asked — such as with Infinite Scroll as one of many examples?

Yes, I am aware that there are issues with WikiPosts themselves for this recent upgrade; but I think a WikiPost would ultimately help both FlyerTalk members and members of the team at Internet Brands...
Old Nov 20, 2017, 1:09 pm

Programs: Cessna TTx Self-Fly
Originally Posted by IBJoel
Are you in the Mobile Skin and Infinite Scroll or the regular desktop skin?
I'm using the standard mobile skin on iPhone 6 with iOS 10.3.3 in Chrome. Whenever I open a thread and try to scroll towards the bottom of said thread, the page immediately jumps to much earlier posts (posts that I previously saw/read).
Old Nov 20, 2017, 1:24 pm

Column widths appear to be fixed. Yay baby steps.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by stimpy
I haven't noticed this before, but when editing a post and clicking the IMG button, there is new behavior and it doesn't work. Is it supposed to work?

At least with the basic editor I can still use the [IMG] command.
The new feature doesn't work. When I asked about it in the standard editor I was told that the standard editor will not be fixed no longer be supported (in techie speak).

I have changed to using the basic editor, which at least is controllable. I can type tags faster than I can fix WYSIWYG idiocies.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 1:58 pm

Programs: AC E75K
My apologies, we were out of the office over the weekend. Have you cleared your cache for FT? I'm unable to replicate this issue, but am still trying.
No problem. I haven't cleared cache because I have many other sites' auto-logins saved that I don't want to lose. Think I'll put up with the need to re-login each time on FT for now.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:14 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Is the jumping on mobile or desktop? Infinite Scroll or regular? You're editing in the Quick Reply or highlighting a post? I'm confused by "I can highlight and edit text, I have to delete and re-write."

Sorry to be clear: This is in quick reply. Specifically, when I want to highlight and delete some of the quoted text I am responding to (because the entire quote is not relevant to my point). When I use my mouse to highlight, my screen strangely scrolls to the bottom of the screen. It is as though I am scrolling down but I am not, I am trying to highlight and scroll right or left. This is only happening in the reply text box.. I have since figured out that if I start typing something in the box first, this problem sometimes goes away, but if I try to highlight the quoted text without first typing something else, this occurs again.

I am using Safari. I have turned off infinite scroll.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Canarsie
I do not mean to add to your workload, IBJoel; but might I suggest that you keep a running WikiPost of the problems and suggestions which have been raised and addressed so that members of FlyerTalk can keep track and avoid asking questions which have already been asked such as with Infinite Scroll as one of many examples?

Yes, I am aware that there are issues with WikiPosts themselves for this recent upgrade; but I think a WikiPost would ultimately help both FlyerTalk members and members of the team at Internet Brands...
+1
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Maybe this goes away now that I disabled infinite scroll but the floating header covers post content.

Also, I think I just found the missing reply button that allows me to do multi-quote properly but losing that from the bottom of the post list on a page is stupid. ETA: That goes away when I kill infinite scroll, too. So, yeah, turns out infinite scroll is the source of all my problems. Good thing that change was defaulted on.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:54 pm
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
How many of the 600,000+ FTers do you think know about CSS, much less how to disable scripts etc, just to get an IBB to function properly. The onus should be on the IBB to provide a smooth, functional BB that will enhance/complement the content - not create an 'enhanced' version that is a piece of pooey that's causing people to post less , consider looking at other BBs or just subscribing to the various bloggers & leaving FT behind.
Oh I'm not at all saying that users should have to know any of this in order to use FT, just answering/replying to a technical question (for my own curiosity as well) and sharing my experience. I completely agree that none of dealing with scripts, CSS etc.. should be necessary for anyone.

Last edited by bpe; Nov 20, 2017 at 3:00 pm
Old Nov 20, 2017, 3:27 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by 84fiero
And even in past polls that IB set up, frequent user preferences/suggestions were ignored while things no one asked for (like infinite scroll) were what subsequently got rolled out. When the users are the creators of 99% of the site content, it's not a good attitude to have towards users. But as with airline devaluations and race-to-the-bottom "enhancements", enough people use it that ultimately it will plod along in spite of it all...at least for awhile.

As I understand it, the Suggestion Box more or less took the place of the TB forum place as a means to communicate to the CD. However I didn't think the CD was/is involved in the decision-making for technical and/or design aspects of the site. But maybe I was wrong. The below post from IB seems to imply that the CD would hold some sway over design aspects of this change...if that isn't the case, though, then the below suggestion is nothing more than telling users to pound sand.
This is a timely comment. The person who is responsble for all of IB's travel websites has changed. I am very impressed with their new leader. She has spent the past several months staffing a new team who is tasked with product development for FlyerTalk. As part of that, we are in conversation about how better to take suggestions from members and get them in front of IB staff. It's a new work in progress but I am optimistic.
TWA884 and IBJoel like this.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 3:35 pm

Programs: Cessna TTx Self-Fly
Originally Posted by ursine1
Column widths appear to be fixed. Yay baby steps.

Not fixed in Chrome on Mac OS even when I refresh the page.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 4:12 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by yosithezet
I have the same issue. Im guessing it is css rendering related.
Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
I have a suspicion the new auto-saving Quick Reply box is implicated. If you browse the same pages not logged in (so no reply ability) does it get better? That would also change other page behavior of course, so not really a conclusive test.
I was wondering this as well when I noticed the constant auto-saving happening so I tried the site in incognito mode logged out. It was much better, but like you said there are probably quite a few things on the page that only logged in users can see. Tough to narrow it down.

Originally Posted by bpe
There's definitely a whole lot of css involved (you can view the page source in most browsers if you're curious) and rendering is browser-dependent.

For me, with scripts completely disabled the website is quite a bit faster, similar to what it used to be like (usable again!). It also seems completely functional, which I guess is the advantage of relying so much on css. All forms of infinite scrolling are gone as well.
I went back to fully disabling scripts as well as isolating and turning off a few elements of the page I thought may be the offending party like the red boxes on the right seen in place of ads with ad block on. It's a lot better and the site is fully functional, but still some nagging issues.

How many of the 600,000+ FTers do you think know about CSS, much less how to disable scripts etc, just to get an IBB to function properly. The onus should be on the IBB to provide a smooth, functional BB that will enhance/complement the content - not create an 'enhanced' version that is a piece of pooey that's causing people to post less , consider looking at other BBs or just subscribing to the various bloggers & leaving FT behind.
Amen. Sadly FT is one of its kind and the clicks and views will always be there so there is very little pressure to make a fully functional, smooth site with no risk of losing meaningful views.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 4:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
This is a timely comment. The person who is responsble for all of IB's travel websites has changed. I am very impressed with their new leader. She has spent the past several months staffing a new team who is tasked with product development for FlyerTalk. As part of that, we are in conversation about how better to take suggestions from members and get them in front of IB staff. It's a new work in progress but I am optimistic.
Was it her team that came up w/ this piece of pooey release/enhancement?

As others have mentioned, it's 'product development 101' to figure out what users want/need BEFORE implementing a new release - and also doing QA and beta testing before just implementing it willy-nilly across an entire BB that is is now resulting in people coming to FT less, looking to blogs & other sites.

FT is large enough it will survive w/ long term FTers leaving, but that's not really the business model any company should want.

Heck, you've got an entire team of mods that I'm sure would have been willing (or some of them anyway) to test the new software/provide input before it got released/dumped upon the general FT population/became a cluster-you-know-what by IB.

I have total faith in you, sandiego1k, for always thinking of what's best for FT & its members. ^ I do not have the same confidence in IB. Too many times they've implemented enhancements w/o input from FTers that had problems. Quite frankly their track record sucks, which is amazing for a company that owns a bunch of website.

And IBJoel, for gawd's sake can you get the reply w/ quote fixed? Ir's ridiculous that when I replied the reply window shrunk to 1/4 size & left justified & the type is so small that I can barely see what I'm typing. Geesh.

Cheers.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Was it her team that came up w/ this piece of pooey release/enhancement?

Cheers.
Want to make this upgrade look like a masterpiece? Go visit the forums of IB's other websites!
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 6:39 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat

And IBJoel, for gawd's sake can you get the reply w/ quote fixed? Ir's ridiculous that when I replied the reply window shrunk to 1/4 size & left justified & the type is so small that I can barely see what I'm typing. Geesh.

Cheers.
I'll let Joel handle this technical issue (I myself am not seeing it) -- but in the future if you want to get someone's attention, be sure to use the "at" tag, which will generate an alert; simply bolding their name does nothing.

@IBJoel

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.