1) Disabling infinite scroll:
  • Go to My FlyerTalk Control Panel
    • Edit options
      • Disable Infinite Scroll

2) Restore previous post editing options:
  • Go to My FlyerTalk Control Panel
    • Settings and Options
      • Miscellaneous Options
        • Message Editor Interface and select Standard Editor -- extra formatting controls (you may see odd behavior in this unsupported editor)

NOTE: For ease of both members posting and Technical Support, this thread has been split into two threads for 2018; one exclusively for MOBILE devices, the other for DESKTOP devices. You can find them here:

2018 FT Nov 2017 Upgrade for DESKTOP Devices BUG REPORTS (link), and

2018 FT Nov 2017 Upgrade for MOBILE Devices BUG REPORTS
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: FT 15 Nov 2017 Upgrade Tech Thread - 2017 BUG REPORTS

Old Nov 19, 2017, 6:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by BamaGirl
So the 'red names' haven't responded in over 24 hours. What's up?
It is the weekend and I'd guess that because the site is working, they aren't concerned about fixing this over the weekend.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 7:31 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
I want to add to the many voices:

1) The update offers nothing by way of improvements that I can see.
2) When infinite scroll is turned on, it's very difficult to find the wiki if there is one, without going all the way back to the top.
3) Is there anybody with a sense of aesthetics or design working on this? It somehow got even more ugly.
4) When I try to highlight sometime in the text box, my screen jumps to the bottom of the page. So I can't highlight and edit text, I have to delete and re-write.

Last edited by jdrtravel; Nov 19, 2017 at 10:42 am
Old Nov 19, 2017, 8:07 am

Programs: Cessna TTx Self-Fly
Originally Posted by javabytes
Massive memory and CPU consumption now using Google Chrome. Scrolling to the point that I've got about ~30 posts loaded results in memory consumption in the 700MB-1GB range. Do the same thing in a second window, and that's another 700MB-1GB.
It's for this reason that my ad blocker will remain turned on. I tried visiting the site with an i5 laptop running Win 10 and Chrome and without ad blocking the cooling fans were running full speed. Not good.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 8:18 am

Well personally I’d like to thank IB. As a result I now spend less time on ft and have instead picked up a book again. The jittery use of the webpage on my iPad is too much nuisance vs. content.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 8:47 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by C W
Seems like most of the bugs are quashed.

I still don't like the new design at all.

Maybe it's time for another poll.
Originally Posted by RandomNobody
They'll just delete it like they have done with the others, probably like this post will be, soon. They've got the same attitude as the Fark.com admins during one of their infamous format changes. "We'll get over it."

Being hostile to your membership is not conducive to people willing to contribute content. Unfortunately, like Fark, the membership here is big enough that inertia will carry them past this hiccup.

And I say this as someone who runs a long-standing message board, myself.
And even in past polls that IB set up, frequent user preferences/suggestions were ignored while things no one asked for (like infinite scroll) were what subsequently got rolled out. When the users are the creators of 99% of the site content, it's not a good attitude to have towards users. But as with airline devaluations and race-to-the-bottom "enhancements", enough people use it that ultimately it will plod along in spite of it all...at least for awhile.

Originally Posted by Canarsie
Even if TalkBoard existed today, the latest upgrade of FlyerTalk would not be under the purview of its members.
As I understand it, the Suggestion Box more or less took the place of the TB forum place as a means to communicate to the CD. However I didn't think the CD was/is involved in the decision-making for technical and/or design aspects of the site. But maybe I was wrong. The below post from IB seems to imply that the CD would hold some sway over design aspects of this change...if that isn't the case, though, then the below suggestion is nothing more than telling users to pound sand.

Originally Posted by IBobi
Sorry you feel that way. I have a pile of active tickets from what's been reported. Bugs are functions that are not working as designed. That's not the same thing as a complaint about something that is working as designed, and someone just doesn't like it. We are at this time not addressing those, as they are not bug reports, which is what has explicitly been requested here.

I strongly suggest that you wait and see what the site looks and acts like after we're done smoothing out the bugs; if there are things you don't like then, please use the Suggestion Box forum

Thanks

Paul
[emphasis added]
Old Nov 19, 2017, 9:03 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I want to add to the many voices:

1) The update offers nothing by way of improvements that I can see.
2) When infinite scroll is turned on, it's very difficult to find the wiki if there is one, without going all the way back to the top.
3) Is there anybody with a sense of aesthetics or design working on this? It somehow got even more ugly.
4) When I try to highlight sometime in the text box, my screen jumps to the bottom of the page. So I can highlight and edit text, I have to delete and re-write.
+1.
I share all OP's comments. New update frustrates me in too many ways to list here! Clean it up please. Make sure it is ready for prime time before you throw it out there for us to help debug!
Old Nov 19, 2017, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dodgeflyer
Well personally Id like to thank IB. As a result I now spend less time on ft and have instead picked up a book again. The jittery use of the webpage on my iPad is too much nuisance vs. content.
And IB paid for this fine example of an "upgrade".
Old Nov 19, 2017, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by IBobi

I strongly suggest that you wait and see what the site looks and acts like after we're done smoothing out the bugs; if there are things you don't like then, please use the Suggestion Box forum

Thanks

Paul
Why put suggestions forward? You've shown you don't care about the users.

PS, there's still no buttons for pages/reply unless you are LOGGED IN. Some of us browse the site without being logged in you know. There is also NO way to turn off the endless scroll crap when not logged in.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 10:26 am

Programs: Cessna TTx Self-Fly
Originally Posted by dodgeflyer
Well personally Id like to thank IB. As a result I now spend less time on ft and have instead picked up a book again. The jittery use of the webpage on my iPad is too much nuisance vs. content.
I've stopped using mobile because on my iphone the pages jump about within a thread and I can't figure out where I am. So my use is curtailed for sure.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 10:27 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by OttawaMark
I've stopped using mobile because on my iphone the pages jump about within a thread and I can't figure out where I am. So my use is curtailed for sure.
Me as well. It's unusable.
florens likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 10:50 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Same problem here. I just returned to my desktop after a one-week trip and I thought my iPhone had gone crazy until I realized the FT site itself was the source of the problem. I've just spent an hour looking over the Tech Support forum and trying to change settings.

I look back with fondness on my first 10 years or so of FT membership. Times have changed.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 12:28 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
Unusable here on mobile too with random jumping. Very annoying as I like to read FT when on the go.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Ad banner still there following left to right as I read.

Unreadable.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
IIRC prior to November 15 I could click on "My FlyerTalk" at the bottom of the page. Now I either have to scroll back up to the top, or else manipulate the "Forum Jump" up to the very top.

I don't know if this is a bug or a feature, but I miss being able simply to click on "My FlyerTalk" at the bottom after reading a post.

Last edited by Fredd; Nov 19, 2017 at 2:04 pm
Old Nov 19, 2017, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
It's for this reason that my ad blocker will remain turned on. I tried visiting the site with an i5 laptop running Win 10 and Chrome and without ad blocking the cooling fans were running full speed. Not good.
I've tried for several days, and with other IB forum upgrades that have done this latest "upgrade", and I still can't quite figure out what is causing the massive CPU and RAM spike. Even with infinite scrolling off, and script blockers and the various trackers and bots blocked, but with and WITHOU ad-blocking enabled, I still get fans and CPU spiking in Chrome. Haven't tried yet enough with Safari, but will try further when I have time. Indeed, certainly spending LESS time on the site than historically.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.