FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Support and Feedback (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/technical-support-feedback-386/)
-   -   New "Like" Button information, Issues and Discussion (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/technical-support-feedback/1863159-new-like-button-information-issues-discussion.html)

JDiver Aug 25, 2017 12:30 pm

New "Like" Button information, Issues and Discussion

A new "Like" function has been added by Internet Brands to FlyerTalk posts effective 9 August 2017.

The function of the "Like" button and it's peculiarities have been added to the Wikipost directly above.

This thread is specifically to report or discuss technical issues related to the "Like" function.

Please make suggestions or recommendations unrelated to technical issues in the thread Like button (Suggestion FT add Like button) [live 9 August] (link) in The Suggestion Box forum.

Thank you,

cblaisd and JDiver, forum Co-Moderators

IBobi Aug 25, 2017 4:44 pm

Thanks Jose!

chavala Oct 17, 2019 9:33 am

Old thread, but seems like the best place to ask...
I notice recently sometimes my LIKE button doesn't work. I click it - nothing happens.

At first I thought it was an iPad issue, but same happens on my desktop.
Then I thought maybe not allowed to click too many LIKES in a row -- but it's not that because sometimes it doesn't work when I haven't liked anything else in days.
Then I thought some posters can opt out -- but it's not that either, because I just tried to LIKE a post from someone who has other LIKES.

I noticed someone on the UA forum commenting on this: "I tried to LIKE your comment but it didn't work for some reason"

It seems completely random. Any other reports of this?

rmadisonwi Oct 22, 2019 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by chavala (Post 31638378)
I notice recently sometimes my LIKE button doesn't work. I click it - nothing happens.

Then I thought maybe not allowed to click too many LIKES in a row -- but it's not that because sometimes it doesn't work when I haven't liked anything else in days.
Then I thought some posters can opt out -- but it's not that either, because I just tried to LIKE a post from someone who has other LIKES.

I noticed someone on the UA forum commenting on this: "I tried to LIKE your comment but it didn't work for some reason"

I’ve had similar experiences recently. Can’t remember when it started, and it’s not all the time, just randomly.

IBJoel Oct 22, 2019 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by chavala (Post 31638378)

Originally Posted by rmadisonwi (Post 31655802)
I’ve had similar experiences recently. Can’t remember when it started, and it’s not all the time, just randomly.

Without anything consistent, it could be difficult to pinpoint. Does it happen on a particular device/browser? Does it happen more often on public Wi-Fi signals or when using mobile data/hotspot?

chavala Oct 23, 2019 8:51 am

Originally Posted by IBJoel (Post 31655870)
Without anything consistent, it could be difficult to pinpoint. Does it happen on a particular device/browser? Does it happen more often on public Wi-Fi signals or when using mobile data/hotspot?

It happens at home on both my iPad using Safari and desktop PC using Firefox. Same home network.
It's completely random as far as I can tell. It won't work and then suddenly it will.

Edit to add: It just happened again on the UA forum. I refreshed the page, still nothing. Then I immediately came to this thread and LIKED IBJoel's post with no problem.

Edited to add more: After I liked Joel's post I went back to the UA forum and it then worked.
SHRUG. Weird, right?

Hoyaheel Jan 30, 2020 12:54 pm

Thank you for saying this - I thought I was going crazy when the "like" button doesn't work! I thought it was my laptop (sometimes my trackpad is screwy) but it happens on my desktop at work (both using Win10, Chrome browser). Most often happens in Trip Reports and the Destinations/China forum but is random. (laptop on home wifi network, work on ethernet connection so I don't think it's internet related).

ETA I just "liked" the post above mine - but was unable to "like" any post in the coronavirus thread in China forum 4 minutes ago....

IBJoel Jan 30, 2020 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel (Post 32013165)
Thank you for saying this - I thought I was going crazy when the "like" button doesn't work! I thought it was my laptop (sometimes my trackpad is screwy) but it happens on my desktop at work (both using Win10, Chrome browser). Most often happens in Trip Reports and the Destinations/China forum but is random. (laptop on home wifi network, work on ethernet connection so I don't think it's internet related).

ETA I just "liked" the post above mine - but was unable to "like" any post in the coronavirus thread in China forum 4 minutes ago....

If a thread has a lot of media on it or is otherwise slow to completely load, Likes don't register (I believe they are the last thing on the page to load)

Hoyaheel Jan 30, 2020 1:36 pm

Ah, thank you for that! That could definitely explain Trip Reports (and maybe current coronavirus threads!) Esp on my home wifi which is satellite and not the speediest. I'll try to remember this in the future. At least I know it's not because I was banned or something. I mean, I hope!

HighwayToHEL May 11, 2020 5:49 am

I found this thread via google, as I am finding huge issues with the Like button on the BA Exec Club forum (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...tive-club-446/). 99 times out of 100 it does nothing. The page seems to be rendered correctly, nothing appears to still be loading, yet the button does nothing.

Chrome on Win 10, if it helps.

Cheers

Jim

IBJoel May 11, 2020 8:04 am

Originally Posted by HighwayToHEL (Post 32365698)
I found this thread via google, as I am finding huge issues with the Like button on the BA Exec Club forum (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...tive-club-446/). 99 times out of 100 it does nothing. The page seems to be rendered correctly, nothing appears to still be loading, yet the button does nothing.

Chrome on Win 10, if it helps.

Cheers

Jim

Does it work in forums outside of BA? And do you have Infinite Scroll enabled?

HighwayToHEL May 11, 2020 8:12 am

Thanks IBJoel. I tend to only live in the BA one, but I just liked your message and it worked okay.

Infinite scroll....I didn't even know that option existed, but I just found it and yes, it's enabled.

Jim

IBJoel May 11, 2020 10:39 am

Originally Posted by HighwayToHEL (Post 32365971)
Thanks IBJoel. I tend to only live in the BA one, but I just liked your message and it worked okay.

Infinite scroll....I didn't even know that option existed, but I just found it and yes, it's enabled.

Jim

If you disable it, likes should function properly. It has an issue for some people where when it auto-loads the next page, it renders likes inactive.

HighwayToHEL May 14, 2020 3:18 am

Thank you for your help and hints, IBJoel, that has indeed solved the issue for me. Many thanks.

Jim

chollie Jun 1, 2020 11:04 am

Now I'm suddenly having problems with the 'like' button in the T&S forum. It appears to be working fine for other posters and it has been working for me in the past.

Still have the display problem in OMNI/PR that I referenced in earlier posts on this forum.