Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

Can someone enlighten me on the purpose of the "Expert Hotel Reviews" tabs/pages

Can someone enlighten me on the purpose of the "Expert Hotel Reviews" tabs/pages

Old Jul 26, 17, 6:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, LH Silver, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, Hyatt Disc, PC Plat, CC Gold

I'm completely confused about the posts I've recently been seeing with the "Expert Hotel Reviews" buttons in them. When you click on the button you essentially get the exact same review that the poster posted in the thread. So what is the purpose of the tab? I had mistakenly assumed the tab was a kind of link to an individuals separate blog but that's evidently not what it is.

Why in the world was this added when it serves no real purpose? Isn't the FT thread on the hotel supposed to be the "expert review?" If so why do we need this?

Confused!
Old Jul 26, 17, 8:46 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Er, have you actually used the Expert Hotel Review feature? If you have, you may only have read some very basic or novice attempts at creating these.

I'd recommend you give a decent one (or more) a good lookover, then return and comment.

Example:

Go to Page Park Hyatt New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

You'll notice the thread title indicates there are a Wikipost and Expert Hotel Reviews for this property's thread.

Note the two links to posts in the thread about the property.

Click the second, which takes you to the second Expert Hotel Review post.

In that post, click you wish to read the Expert Hotel Review.

You can click on "Read on Expert Hotel Reviews" and get this post.

Creating an Expert Hotel Review provides a template and linking that offers the opportunity to create a specifically organized and potentially much more detailed property review than the average post.

There are significant numbers of FlyerTalk members who like the Expert Hotel Reviews, both to document their impressions and record photos of the property, and there are others who enjoy reading these in depth reviews. At least forbthem, the feature adds value to FlyerTalk - and it allows the majority to post in the regular, less complicated fashion if they prefer.

As we get increasing numbers of these comprehensive reviews, you might get to like them - or even contribute an Expert Hotel Review yourself.

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 26, 17 at 9:00 am
Old Jul 26, 17, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, LH Silver, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, Hyatt Disc, PC Plat, CC Gold
Thanks JDiver for the explanation. I understand the logic a bit more but I guess if there is no control over what classifies as an "Expert Hotel Review" then IMHO they might actually not be very useful or let's say "expert" at all. Plus I have to wonder if people posting these "Expert" reviews realize that those are to be more indepth and detailed than what they post in the regular thread.

Here is a cut and paste of a recent "Expert Hotel Review" that got me questioning this whole thing. (This was the review with NO additional pictures of the room or the facilites.) In commenting on the post it seems the OP though that was just how you left a comment about the hotel. In the end I think we can all agree it's a nice review but doesn't offer a whole lot on an "expert" basis. (I specifically did not link the post here as it would not be fair to the OP.)

Check In

The checkin agent was average

Room

The room was spacious but not very clean.

Service

I was disappointed to hear that breakfast only starts at 6am. For an airport hotel this is disappointing as our flight left early and we would have needed breakfast at 5am. Only coffee was offered at 5am.

Good location near the airport. 15 minutes from Downtown.

Overall

Ok for a night, but the lack of breakfast in the early morning is really disappointing.

I've been on FT for a while now and I do not remember anything on the forum explaining just what these "Expert" reviews were and how they should be used. Was there a communication on this to the forum members?

Last edited by christianj; Jul 26, 17 at 11:40 am
Old Jul 26, 17, 4:46 pm
Administrator

Reviews made in the Expert format appear here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-reviews/

Reviews that are not made in the Expert format, do not.

This part of the site is tied into the forums, but provides links to reviews that are searchable by location, hotel chain, hotel name, even reviewer. It is by far the best way to find hotel review content on FT.

This is why we recommend, but do not force, all reviewers to use this format.
Old Jul 31, 17, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

when it was in beta, they manually copied reviews out of threads into newly created threads, and at one point early on the link in the expert review led to either the newly created thread or the original thread review was copied from

christianj, it refers to the system, not anything about the meaning of word expert

there are also some long threads in this forum discussing the new review system

Search this Thread