FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Support and Feedback (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/technical-support-feedback-386/)
-   -   Preview new posts prior to submitting reply? (Yes - "Preview Post") (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/technical-support-feedback/1845547-preview-new-posts-prior-submitting-reply-yes-preview-post.html)

JDiver May 31, 2017 10:27 am

Preview new posts prior to submitting reply? (Yes - "Preview Post")

Another member has suggested, in another forum, so I've taken the liberty to offer itnup for consideration.

One feature I've seen on other boards is that if someone else posts while you are composing your post, when you hit submit you are shown the new posts and given a chance to edit or not to submit your post. This might be a useful feature for FT.

NewbieRunner Jun 1, 2017 4:15 pm

If you click the 'Preview Post' button after composing a post (which is recommended) and scroll down, you will see any post which has been submitted while you are composing your post. It doesn't work if you use the Quick Reply option and involves an extra step but it is possible to check for any new post if you care to do so.

JDiver Jun 2, 2017 8:38 am

Thank you, NewbieRunner!

As this is possible, I'll retitle and relocate to the Tech Support forum.

/The Suggestion Box, Technical Support and Feedback fora Co-Moderator

IBobi Jun 2, 2017 12:59 pm

@IBJoel jira?

IBobi Jun 5, 2017 5:47 pm

@IBJoel

IBJoel Jun 6, 2017 3:37 pm

Jira'd!

lo2e Jun 6, 2017 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by IBobi (Post 28394014)
@IBJoel jira?

Originally Posted by IBJoel (Post 28411636)
Jira'd!

Translation?

jackal Jun 7, 2017 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by lo2e (Post 28411858)
Translation?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jira_(software)

Jira (/ˈdʒi.rɑː/ JEE-rah)[5] (stylized JIRA) is a proprietary issue tracking product, developed by Atlassian. It provides bug tracking, issue tracking, and project management functions.
Sounds like the IB guys have logged a ticket in their internal tracking system to do some work on this issue.

IBobi Jun 7, 2017 12:24 pm

Correct!

Jira is pretty ubiquitous, but we shouldn't assume everyone is familiar ;)

jackal Jun 7, 2017 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by IBobi (Post 28415185)
Correct!

Jira is pretty ubiquitous, but we shouldn't assume everyone is familiar ;)

I think you should keep using tech industry acronyms and product names without explanation. It reminds FTers what it's like for newbies unfamiliar with our lingo here to come and try to read our discussions. ;)

IBJoel Jun 7, 2017 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 28383463)
Another member has suggested, in another forum, so I've taken the liberty to offer itnup for consideration.

Would you know what sites that user is referring to? It's not a tool that VB comes with, so it'd have to be built.

JDiver Jun 7, 2017 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by IBJoel (Post 28415838)
Would you know what sites that user is referring to? It's not a tool that VB comes with, so it'd have to be built.

I'll have to check... Otherwise, I don't know which sites.

GUWonder Jun 9, 2017 6:34 am

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner (Post 28390097)
If you click the 'Preview Post' button after composing a post (which is recommended) and scroll down, you will see any post which has been submitted while you are composing your post. It doesn't work if you use the Quick Reply option and involves an extra step but it is possible to check for any new post if you care to do so.

I often have posts composed or in process of being composed before I get the submit reply button hit. As the time between starting the post and submitting reply gets longer, the use of "submit reply" becomes less likely to result in a post showing up as may have commonly been anticipated when hitting "submit reply".

I think it's fair to say that most posts on FT are done independently of using that preview post button. And that's unlikely to change unless and until the user interface and processes around that are changed -- not that it makes sense to make this a priority development project.

I've used that "preview post" button for way less than 0.1% of my posts; and in the very rare instances where I've used it, it's been tied to using an unfamiliar feature or user error.

IBJoel Jun 16, 2017 12:08 pm

I have been informed that we do not have the resources to implement this feature on FlyerTalk.

IBobi Jun 16, 2017 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by IBJoel (Post 28451172)
I have been informed that we do not have the resources to implement this feature on FlyerTalk.

More specifically, this functionality doesn't exist on VBulletin.