Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

New FT features 27 Mar 2017 for logged in users not using ad blockers

Old Mar 29, 2017, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Disable email notifications of quoting:

My FlyerTalk > User Tagging (way at the bottom of the left-hand side navbar) > Settings > Hide Quote Alerts

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/usertag.php?do=profile&action=options

Prevent others from "follow"ing you

My FlyerTalk > Edit Options > Login & Privacy > Don't allow other users to follow me

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/profile.php?do=editoptions
Print Wikipost

New FT features 27 Mar 2017 for logged in users not using ad blockers

Old Mar 15, 2017, 4:27 pm
No longer with Internet Brands
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Arrow New FT features 27 Mar 2017 for logged in users not using ad blockers

Hello FlyerTalkers,

In our continued efforts to bring our members the best, free travel experience on the Web, FlyerTalk is implementing several new social features to make it easier to get the latest information on programs and travel industry developments. These features are live as of 12pm PT on Monday, March 27, 2017.

The new features will allow logged-in users who are not using ad blockers on FT to do the following:
  1. Set up automatic KEYWORD ALERTS and HASHTAGS that let you track mentions of your favorite programs, events, or anything else.
  2. FOLLOW USERS who post information you find useful.
  3. TAG USERS in posts, and get notifications when you've been tagged -- an easy way to bring a thread to someone's attention.

You can access each of these new features by going to My FlyerTalk, and scroll all the way down to view each new feature in the bottom of the left side menu.

Name:  ibjoel-albums-ft-features-picture15010-newfeatures.jpg
Views: 1005
Size:  26.3 KB

KEYWORD ALERTS

Once you click on "Keyword Alerts" on MyFlyerTalk, you can set up an alert by:

1. Typing in a keyword
2. Selecting whether you want to receive this alert hourly, daily or weekly
3. Selecting whether you want to receive alerts via email, as a private message, or both
4. Selecting a forum
5. Clicking "Create and Save Alert"

Disabling alerts:

Once you set up an alert, that alert will display in a list. You can turn off an alert by simply clicking "Delete" on the far right of the corresponding alert.

Name:  ibjoel-albums-ft-features-picture15009-keywords.jpg
Views: 1061
Size:  41.4 KB

HASHTAGS

In "Hash Tag Subscriptions", you can add hashtag subscriptions by typing in the hashtag you'd like to subscribe to and clicking "Submit". You will get an email whenever one of your subscribed hashtags is used. Whenever someone uses this hashtag in a post, you'll get an alert. For example, if you subscribe to #Avios you will get an alert every time someone types "#Avios" on FlyerTalk.

Disabling Hashtags:

1. Click the checkbox next to the hashtag you wish to delete and click "Submit"

or

2. Go to "Settings" under "User Tagging" in MyFlyerTalk, select the "Disable Hash Tag Subscription Emails" option, and click "Save Changes".

Name:  ibjoel-albums-ft-features-picture15006-hashtags.jpg
Views: 1059
Size:  38.6 KB

FOLLOW USERS

To follow another member, click on the member's username. This will take you to that user's profile where you can click "Follow User". You may also click their username in a post, and use the pulldown menu.

To view the activity of other members you are following, click on "You are following 'x' users" in MyFlyerTalk, which will take you to a list of the users you're following. Then click "Find Recent Posts" to view the other members' activity.

Unfollow a User

1. Click "Unfollow User" on the user profile page

or

2. Click "You are following 'x' users", which will take you to a page with a list of the users you're following. To unfollow a specific user, you would click "Un-Follow / Remove" for the corresponding user

You can also turn off the ability of others to follow you, in your user CP. If you do this, you will disappear from their list of followed users.

Name:  ibjoel-albums-ft-features-picture15007-followuser.jpg
Views: 871
Size:  20.7 KB

TAGGING A MEMBER

Tagging allows FTers to bring a thread to the attention of other members.

To tag another member, make a post that includes @ and their username, such as @IBobi.

To manage who can tag you, go to "Settings" in your Control Panel and do one or more of the following:

1. Restrict tag alerts to only come from users on your friends list.
2. Hide tag alerts
3. Disable thread tag emails
4. Disable desktop notifications

(since getting notified is the only effect of being tagged, disabling these notifications is the same thing as turning off tagging for yourself)

We hope these features help you to get more out of FlyerTalk, and if not, we have made every effort to ensure that if you do not want them, you do not have to use them

Best,

The FT Team

Last edited by IBobi; Mar 27, 2017 at 11:48 am
Old Mar 27, 2017, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
New Post Quotes

What is this new nonsense that I don't recall anyone asking for and how do I turn this additional piece of absolute garbagio off?

Oh it gets even better when I look under my post count! This place is going backwards. Thank goodness there is value in the posts on this forum.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 3:17 pm

@IBxAnders
Old Mar 27, 2017, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Maybe take a peek at the announcements before railing against something you can just turn off if you don't like it?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/techn...-blockers.html
Old Mar 27, 2017, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IBobi
Maybe take a peek at the announcements before railing against something you can just turn off if you don't like it?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/techn...-blockers.html
Maybe just leave it as it was? Just a thought.

Or at the absolute very least don't force people to all of a sudden have a ton of spam shoved down their throats. Unbelievable.

Last edited by Silver Fox; Mar 27, 2017 at 3:27 pm
Old Mar 27, 2017, 3:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
The latest FT software update means I get an email whenever anyone quotes me.

When you have ~20k posts, that tends to happen frequently.

Hint: You can turn it off on http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/usert...action=options (Disable Quote Emails)
Old Mar 27, 2017, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Maybe just leave it as it was? Just a thought.

Or at the absolute very least don't force people to all of a sudden have a ton of spam shoved down their throats. Unbelievable.
We won't be leaving FT's features static.

The only way to allow users to see what these new features are like is to turn them on. You can turn them off easy as pie, with the instructions that were posted before they were even turned on.

As far as I know, the only way you could even be getting new notifications from these tools is if you had previously hashtagged anything, @ tagged users (or been tagged by someone else), or followed people. And there was no way to add keyword alerts to a list before, so you couldn't have been notified of those at all.

Last edited by IBobi; Mar 27, 2017 at 4:06 pm
Old Mar 27, 2017, 4:16 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by canadiancow

When you have ~20k posts, that tends to happen frequently.

Hint: You can turn it off on http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/usert...action=options (Disable Quote Emails)
That reminds me, how can I find this elusive 10,000th post that was mentioned a few pages back. Possibly in another thread.

Or is it lost and gone forever?
Old Mar 27, 2017, 4:20 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat Pro, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
I'll be leaving my adblocker on. Nothing in those features worthy of turning it off.

What I can never understand is why companies want you to turn off the adblocker anyway. By the fact that I've already installed it I am saying to you and your advertisers that I do not want their product. So even if I turned it off - I'd be ignoring them. And as such you'd be selling a product that I can guarantee I'd never use. What good is that to anyone?
Old Mar 27, 2017, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We won't be leaving FT's features static.

The only way to allow users to see what these new features are like is to turn them on. You can turn them off easy as pie, with the instructions that were posted before they were even turned on.

As far as I know, the only way you could even be getting new notifications from these tools is if you had previously hashtagged anything, @ tagged users (or been tagged by someone else), or followed people. And there was no way to add keyword alerts to a list before, so you couldn't have been notified of those at all.
It was the email for quotes. I had done none of those things you describe.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
It was the email for quotes. I had done none of those things you describe.
You should not be getting alerts when someone quotes you. I'll look into it.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 4:26 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by jc94
That reminds me, how can I find this elusive 10,000th post that was mentioned a few pages back. Possibly in another thread.

Or is it lost and gone forever?
Do you get lifetime status for that many posts?
Old Mar 27, 2017, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
I'll be leaving my adblocker on. Nothing in those features worthy of turning it off.

What I can never understand is why companies want you to turn off the adblocker anyway. By the fact that I've already installed it I am saying to you and your advertisers that I do not want their product. So even if I turned it off - I'd be ignoring them. And as such you'd be selling a product that I can guarantee I'd never use. What good is that to anyone?
Just viewing the ads is good for the website (which provides its services for free BTW). And nobody knows they don't want a product that they haven't been shown
Old Mar 27, 2017, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
You should not be getting alerts when someone quotes you. I'll look into it.
Someone should tell the system that. My emaol box is flooded with SPAM as far as I'm concerned. Everything a person quotes you, you get another.

BTW real websites don't turn junk like this on with no notice, test their updates before making them live, and finally they listen to their user base.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 4:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Posts relocated from Air Canada forum for further discussion.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.