Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Issues and suggestions regarding the new Trending forums home page

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2017, 7:25 am

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), Marriott Tit
Originally Posted by IBobi
For those who are disabling, we welcome comments and suggestions.

Why are you disabling it?
Do you find the trending threads interesting or useful?
Is there a way to keep them and satisfy your forum directory requirements?
It seems totally broken on mobile (shows the desktop version of the home page).

No.

Don't care.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by HIDDY
I always enter Flyertalk by clicking on my BAEC forum bookmark as it's the forum I mostly browse. I thought most people who have a preferred forum did that? If not, then you're only a second or two away from finding the forum you want.
A bit of an overreaction I feel....then again, I'm used to seeing that being a BAEC forum regular.
That's partially a personal preference thing, and partially a generational thing. I pretty much don't use bookmarks at all. In fact, I just looked for the button that shows the bookmarks on my browser, and it took me a second to remember where it was. I usually access FT by starting to type the address (flyertalk.com/forum) into my address bar, and hitting enter 2-3 characters in, when the autocomplete pops up. Sometimes I click the link in the frequently visited sites of my new tab page.

I also rarely if ever navigate directly to a single forum (I have a few that I frequent). I get to the forum homepage, and open the forum(s) I'm interested in in new tabs. Or, if I'm looking specifically for a followup to a question or answer I've posted, I'll go to Quick Links > My Posts.

So there are tons of ways that people come into the forum, and interact with it once they do. And I'm really wondering how many of those the developers took into account when they put this new design in place. This is a very Apple-like approach: "This is how we think you should use our product, so that's how you should use it. Any other method you may have or want is silly, and must not be condoned." And sorry, FT, but you don't have the marketing genius Apple does to be able to actually get away with something as customer-unfriendly as that.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
What I discovered is that when you arrive at the forums homepage and are not logged in, it automatically redirects you to the trending page.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trending.php

When you log in, you're logging into the same page, i.e., the trending page. It doesn't automatically redirect you to the "regular" forum homepage, which is:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/

What I had to do is navigate to the very top of the page and select the Forum Home; or just click on whatever sub-forum I wanted to visit and things should be fine from there.

If my login is remembered (as I normally am on Chrome), I don't have this issue.
This is 100% accurate. I noticed the same thing a few days ago. It would be great if they could build in the intelligence to do this automatically, so I'm not taken back to the trending homepage once I log in.

I'd love to hear what their metrics are on this new homepage. For anybody who's never been on FT before (those coveted new users), it makes it look like the site has almost no real content on it. Are new users sticking around and finding anything? Are current users disabling the page, or perhaps not even hitting it (like hiddy above)? I'd find it hard to believe, but is this new homepage somehow increasing pageviews and forum usage? These are all numbers that IB should have at their fingertips - even small nothing websites can get this info for their visitors. I'd be really interested in seeing how this is working out for them.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 11:03 am

So now I can participate again.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 11:47 am

On mobile no problem. On desktop even signed in with preference saved, I still get trending page. I have to make sure url includes /forum page.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Thank heavens for the opt out. Forcing people into this smacks of absolute arrogance and disregard for the people that use this site. If you want to beta test these things then ask for people to do so, then ask people if they want to opt-in themselves. Trending - seriously, that is for millenials who have to "get down with the kids" and be cool so they now what's going on "like". We are mostly grown-ups that use this site, and can work it out for ourselves what is important, so can you ... start looking at the feedback that has been ignored in other suggestions from, erm, users? How about that for a concept.

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 13, 2017 at 8:49 pm Reason: Redacted characterizations per FT rules
Old Feb 13, 2017, 6:27 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by bobert24
So there are tons of ways that people come into the forum, and interact with it once they do. And I'm really wondering how many of those the developers took into account when they put this new design in place. This is a very Apple-like approach: "This is how we think you should use our product, so that's how you should use it. Any other method you may have or want is silly, and must not be condoned." And sorry, FT, but you don't have the marketing genius Apple does to be able to actually get away with something as customer-unfriendly as that.
^

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Thank heavens for the opt out. Forcing people into this smacks of absolute arrogance and disregard for the people that use this site. If you want to beta test these things then ask for people to do so, then ask people if they want to opt-in themselves. Trending - seriously, that is for millenials who have to "get down with the kids" and be cool so they now what's going on "like". We are mostly grown-ups that use this site, and can work it out for ourselves what is important, so can you ...start looking at the feedback that has been ignored in other suggestions from, erm, users? How about that for a concept.
^

The above points about disregarding FT members are especially worth considering in light of the fact that this site relies on its members/users for basically all of its content* which is what draws visitors and makes money for IB.

*I'm not counting the vapid front page "articles", although those would still only make up a very tiny fraction.

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 13, 2017 at 8:48 pm Reason: Redacted previously deleted post content
Old Feb 13, 2017, 9:00 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
A gentle reminder that we do adhere to the FlyerTalk Rules here. It's OK to share opinions, give honest feedback, etc. but it is not so to post negative characterizations of other members or members of the staff. Doing so is likely to get posts deleted if they take up too much of a post, or get posts edited if there's useful content.

12.0 Abusive Or Disruptive Behavior Or Content (Link to this topic)

12.1 Friendly, Respectful and Welcoming (in part)

FlyerTalk is a community and is intended to be a friendly, helpful and collegial place.

Please post in a friendly, respectful, welcoming manner. 'Snarky,' unfriendly posts will not be allowed. If you don't have something constructive to contribute to a thread, please do not post.

12.2 Avoid Getting Personal (in part)

If you have a difference of opinion with another member, challenge the idea — NOT the person. Getting personal with another member is not allowed. Personal attacks, insults, baiting and flaming will not be tolerated.

Thank you,

JDiver, co-Moderator, Technical Support and Feefbsck forum
Old Feb 14, 2017, 5:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by IBobi
For those who are disabling, we welcome comments and suggestions.

Why are you disabling it?
Do you find the trending threads interesting or useful?
Is there a way to keep them and satisfy your forum directory requirements?
I visit certain forums, and generally don't venture into others. I like being able to quickly navigate to the forums I want to visit, using multiple windows.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Worst innovation yet! Ranks up there with the NEW COKE!! Why did it take so long to give us a fix to kill it? Why not do something useful for us? in particular, give us Canadians (and Brits) and AIR MILES forum.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 9:06 am

would've thought they'd have removed it seeing as no one likes it
Old Feb 14, 2017, 10:13 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Would like to hear from IB in terms of whether they're planning on rolling back this change, making it explicitly opt-in (vs current opt-out), or taking one of the alternative suggestions that were made up-thread (if you can find those few in the midst of the all the angst and rending of clothes).

Originally Posted by Shareholder
Worst innovation yet! Ranks up there with the NEW COKE!! Why did it take so long to give us a fix to kill it? Why not do something useful for us? in particular, give us Canadians (and Brits) and AIR MILES forum.
There is now a forum where you can suggest that very idea.
The Suggestion Box:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/suggestion-box-756/
Old Feb 14, 2017, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by kipper
I visit certain forums, and generally don't venture into others. I like being able to quickly navigate to the forums I want to visit, using multiple windows.
This. It made the home screen hopelessly cluttered, to the point where I couldn't find what I was looking for. I actually figured that this was going to be the straw that broke the camel's back and I was just going to stop visiting FT. It wasn't until I went to the Technical Support forum and that I discovered I could opt out.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Why don't you use save the link to MyFlyertalk and enter that way? I haven't seen the home page in over a year.

I switched when my company started blocking certain things from loading and I was constantly locking up.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by Mary2e
Why don't you use save the link to MyFlyertalk and enter that way? I haven't seen the home page in over a year.

I switched when my company started blocking certain things from loading and I was constantly locking up.
Appreciate the suggestion but that only takes you to subscribed forums. Why doesnt IB just fix what they broke????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.