Infinite / Automatic Scroll: issues, q&a, disable on desktop version

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 2, 2017, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
"FT Desktop Infinite Scroll" feature for desktop viewing introduced Jan 2017

NOTE: Selecting the Mobile Skin / display format will activate Infinite Scroll.

Opting out of "FT Desktop Infinte Scroll" skin:
Originally Posted by IBobi
How to opt out:

If you opt out, your pagination will revert to the “classic” FT Desktop View skin when you are logged into your FT account. Bear in mind that if you visit FT before logging in, you will see the infinite scroll.

To opt out, you can see this post or just go to

My FlyerTalk->Edit Options->Thread Display Options->“Disable Desktop Infinite Scroll”

Click the check box and click SAVE CHANGES.

If infinite scroll is set to default style and you keep reverting to infinite scroll:
Originally Posted by TheLifeOfA_NKCM
... Unfortunately since it's set to be the default style, opting out wont work.

So, with that said, you'll need to go into the "My Options" page and both disable infinite scroll and change your default style/skin to FT Desktop ..also don't forget to save!

Hope this helps!

Originally Posted by [B
Spanish[/B];27896638]All you need to do is add "?styleid=17" to the end of any Flyertalk URL.

For those with Greasemonkey, a simple script for you. You no needing to be logged in for this to be effective.

Here you go:

Code:
 // ==UserScript==
 // @name        Flyertalk_Remove_Infinite_Scroll
 // @match       *://*.flyertalk.com/*
 // @run-at      document-start
 // @grant       none
 // ==/UserScript==

var oldUrlPath  = window.location.pathname;

/*--- Test that "?styleid=17" is at end of URL, excepting any "hashes"
 or searches.
 */
 if (window.location.href.toString().indexOf("?styleid=17") != -1) return false;
 if ( ! /\?styleid=17$/.test (oldUrlPath) ) {

var newURL  = window.location.protocol + "//"
 + window.location.host
 + oldUrlPath + "?styleid=17"
 + window.location.search
 + window.location.hash
 ;
 /*-- replace() puts the good page in the history instead of the
 bad page.
 */
 window.location.replace (newURL);
 }
Print Wikipost

Infinite / Automatic Scroll: issues, q&a, disable on desktop version

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2017, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by BuddyBird
I hate the endless page in threads. Thank you.
Me, too.

But there is a fix, I just discovered.
See here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/tech...l#post29069614
Old Nov 17, 2017, 1:42 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by muji
Me, too.

But there is a fix, I just discovered.
See here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/tech...l#post29069614
Thanks for that.

Infinite scroll as a default option isn't my idea of a good idea, and yet it seems to be another case of "it's built so lets make as many people use it as possible whether it's ideal for the users or not".
Calchas likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 10:48 am

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Thank you! The website was unusable with infinite scroll enabled. Every time I scrolled it would reset to some sort of midpoint of the page I was on.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 5:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by dukerau
Thank you! The website was unusable with infinite scroll enabled. Every time I scrolled it would reset to some sort of midpoint of the page I was on.
When will this be fixed?
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:38 pm

Programs: Various
Fixed? It's a feature, not a bug.
florens likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA
flyertalk = browser memory hog

Flyertalk seems to have astrnage way to dynamically show the posts in threads, eg;

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/prac...-passport.html

When i just scroll down the thread, it dynamically adds more and more posts, it even dynamically changes the URL, eg:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/prac...assport-7.html

This is a nice user experience except that it seems to kill at least my windows 7 computer - with all browsers (firefox, chrome, explorer). Open the URL, let computer sit there for a while, and the memory for the browser goes up to as many gigs as the computer has (8). All browser extensions disabled...

Is there a way to change this through any setting to keep memory needs more in bounds ?
Old Dec 4, 2017, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by te36
Flyertalk seems to have astrnage way to dynamically show the posts in threads, eg;

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/prac...-passport.html

When i just scroll down the thread, it dynamically adds more and more posts, it even dynamically changes the URL, eg:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/prac...assport-7.html

This is a nice user experience except that it seems to kill at least my windows 7 computer - with all browsers (firefox, chrome, explorer). Open the URL, let computer sit there for a while, and the memory for the browser goes up to as many gigs as the computer has (8). All browser extensions disabled...

Is there a way to change this through any setting to keep memory needs more in bounds ?
could it be the infinite scroll? in the other thread, a couple of people have mentioned it increases mobile data usage
Old Dec 5, 2017, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA
Probably, thanks for moving my question. Just disabled infinite scroll. The idea is actually quite nice, from the usability perspective the main issue was that i would not always get the bar at the bottom that would allow me to explicitly go to the last page.

But its unusable as long as browsers just eat up memory, and given how this happened to me for all three browsers on windows, it seems as if its a systemtic issue.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 12:37 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by dukerau
Ditto. I actually liked some of the features included in the bottom bar, but the jumping behaviour made using the site on my tablet impossible to use. Have now turned off infinite scroll and other features as well, as some of the recent "improvements" meant giving up too much functionality for me.
JDiver likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 8:48 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by JY1024
Ditto. I actually liked some of the features included in the bottom bar, but the jumping behaviour made using the site on my tablet impossible to use. Have now turned off infinite scroll and other features as well, as some of the recent "improvements" meant giving up too much functionality for me.
I’ve had to do the same. Moderating and reading / posting have been challenging with some of the new features, particularly infinite scroll and the updated interface.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 12:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Option to go back to old forums? (infinite scroll - to merge)

When I click the link to view new posts in subscribed threads, just a slight scroll will cause older posts to load and then it's difficult to find the new posts.

I find going all the way to the last post of the thread and scrolling upwards to find the newest posts.

The old forums didn't have any of this problem.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 2:11 pm
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
Hi there! Do you still have Infinite Scroll enabled? It may be causing that problem. It can be disabled here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/prof...do=editoptions
Old Dec 26, 2017, 5:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Thanks I'll give it a try.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 10:40 am

Pagination

When I read threads that have multiple pages, I cannot find the link to move to the next page. Do I have setting turned off?

EDIT:I see it now. Sorry.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 9:10 pm
Suspended

I just want to re-iterate how absolutely stupid this functionality is. I haven't seen any step back in web forum technology since I've been posting on them so this is a first.

Just to post here I had to scroll, wait, scroll, wait, etc, etc. For a multi-paged thread on a regular site, you'd just scroll and then hit last. I commonly want to scroll up to use the forum tools, but now you have to scroll many, many times to get to the top of a thread to find them. For long threads, finding particular pages is very useful.

This brings 0 benefit with it. Absolutely nothing. It brings a lot of drawbacks. A better change would have been to move each page to a large number of posts.

How about you guys stepping up, admitting that you made a mistake and let people who want this really useless feature opt in to it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.