Infinite / Automatic Scroll: issues, q&a, disable on desktop version

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 2, 2017, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
"FT Desktop Infinite Scroll" feature for desktop viewing introduced Jan 2017

NOTE: Selecting the Mobile Skin / display format will activate Infinite Scroll.

Opting out of "FT Desktop Infinte Scroll" skin:
Originally Posted by IBobi
How to opt out:

If you opt out, your pagination will revert to the “classic” FT Desktop View skin when you are logged into your FT account. Bear in mind that if you visit FT before logging in, you will see the infinite scroll.

To opt out, you can see this post or just go to

My FlyerTalk->Edit Options->Thread Display Options->“Disable Desktop Infinite Scroll”

Click the check box and click SAVE CHANGES.

If infinite scroll is set to default style and you keep reverting to infinite scroll:
Originally Posted by TheLifeOfA_NKCM
... Unfortunately since it's set to be the default style, opting out wont work.

So, with that said, you'll need to go into the "My Options" page and both disable infinite scroll and change your default style/skin to FT Desktop ..also don't forget to save!

Hope this helps!

Originally Posted by [B
Spanish[/B];27896638]All you need to do is add "?styleid=17" to the end of any Flyertalk URL.

For those with Greasemonkey, a simple script for you. You no needing to be logged in for this to be effective.

Here you go:

Code:
 // ==UserScript==
 // @name        Flyertalk_Remove_Infinite_Scroll
 // @match       *://*.flyertalk.com/*
 // @run-at      document-start
 // @grant       none
 // ==/UserScript==

var oldUrlPath  = window.location.pathname;

/*--- Test that "?styleid=17" is at end of URL, excepting any "hashes"
 or searches.
 */
 if (window.location.href.toString().indexOf("?styleid=17") != -1) return false;
 if ( ! /\?styleid=17$/.test (oldUrlPath) ) {

var newURL  = window.location.protocol + "//"
 + window.location.host
 + oldUrlPath + "?styleid=17"
 + window.location.search
 + window.location.hash
 ;
 /*-- replace() puts the good page in the history instead of the
 bad page.
 */
 window.location.replace (newURL);
 }
Print Wikipost

Infinite / Automatic Scroll: issues, q&a, disable on desktop version

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:47 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by IBJoel
Low Roller, what operating system are you running? And desktop or mobile? I was unable to find this error, but it may be device-dependent.
I'm using firefox on a windows desktop.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 12:02 pm

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
Wow. I'm glad I found this thread quickly.
I've opted out of that annoying "infinite scroll". Pages flashing and jumping up/down, no ability to navigate thru large threads and the worst .... my "back" button doesn't work. After about 2 minutes on a thread, I can't "back" to the forum's index. My browser acts as if I've asked for the threads page dozens of times, so the only history I can go "back" is the very page I'm trying to get out of.
Using Chrome.

In the future, please don't make such large scales changes without a notification. I thought I was crazy trying to click to page 2, but getting the same page over and over. Perhaps a notification and go with an "opt-in" approach versus "opt-out" of something we didn't know happened.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 12:03 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Say I selected several posts using the multi-quote buttons. How do I actually reply and have those quoted? If I select the reply button on the floating toolbar -- that's actually a quick reply button and the multi-quotes don't appear. So how to I reply and get them to appear?
Old Jan 19, 2017, 12:31 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
When I use reply from the page footer I'm unable to select a colour for my text. All my posts are in Navy (my house style ) but to change the colour I have to type the [] tag or click Go Advanced because whenever I click the dropdown on the colour button nothing happens. I can click the A and get colour black and then edit that but...
Old Jan 19, 2017, 12:51 pm
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
Originally Posted by JAXBA
When I use reply from the page footer I'm unable to select a colour for my text. All my posts are in Navy (my house style ) but to change the colour I have to type the [] tag or click Go Advanced because whenever I click the dropdown on the colour button nothing happens. I can click the A and get colour black and then edit that but...
I see that too. Reported!
Old Jan 19, 2017, 12:57 pm
Administrator

Originally Posted by chgoeditor
Say I selected several posts using the multi-quote buttons. How do I actually reply and have those quoted? If I select the reply button on the floating toolbar -- that's actually a quick reply button and the multi-quotes don't appear. So how to I reply and get them to appear?
We'll get multi-quote up and running, thank you for the look out.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 1:13 pm
Administrator

Originally Posted by echelon0911
On the iPad, once you are onto Page 2 or more, the back arrow no longer works. It's impossible to back to the previous page unless you scroll to the top and choose a specific link.
Occurred on our testing iPad, as well. It has been reported.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Just a thank you for getting the mobile version back to sticking in mobile view, and not switching back and forth.

It works again.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 3:24 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
I've opted out in the settings and changed it on every thread. It still resets to FT Infinite Scroll on every page I visit. Help!
Old Jan 19, 2017, 3:30 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Originally Posted by Howste
I've opted out in the settings and changed it on every thread. It still resets to FT Infinite Scroll on every page I visit. Help!
Never mind. I had gone into the settings and set the default skin to "vBulletin 3 FT Style 3.7.6 PL2" thinking this would fix it. I didn't see the disable Infinite Scroll checkbox. It's working now that I found it.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by IBxAnders
This will be tricky, because there are several detect processes running - Is this user Mobile? etc. The best way would be to configure your userid settings -> I don't ever want to be mobile and -> I don't ever want to use Infinite scroll. Problem with cookies is that they'll most likely be overwritten by the automated detection processes.
The style selector box at the bottom of the page should stick in that browser instance if you can find a way to do that.

I think that's what any user would expect.

That would also allow different styles in different browser instances without needing to change the user global settings.

-David
Old Jan 19, 2017, 6:27 pm

Thumbs down Website "Enhancements" (to merge)

I guess someone could not be content that the website worked with very few issues. So yesterday (Jan.18) I started noticing new and very annoying changes (I use the desktop version).
First, forum pages started loading slower, and reformat themselves several times before becoming stable enough to read.
Then there's a fat bar at the bottom taking much of the page's real estate. It also slides in/out repeatedly, which is rather distracting.
Clicking "View First Unread" button no longer gets you to the correct post.

Why on earth did you have to mess up the site? Let's cut the losses and return to the familiar version, when we could read and post without delays and distractions.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Yeah I've never been a fan of the infinite scroll myself, or like where'd the quick reply go? I mean I found it, but not before I wondered where it went
Old Jan 19, 2017, 7:47 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
As this is a Technical Support issue (and is being actively discussed there) rather than a Suggestion Box issue, it has been moved to the proper forum.

Please read http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/techn...l-desktop.html to see if your concerns are addressed there.

Thank you,

JDiver, Co-Moderator
Suggestion Box and Technical Support and Feedback fora
Old Jan 19, 2017, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by Superorb
I can't stand the infinite scroll. Not only is the sticky bar at the bottom annoying and takes up space
+100

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.