Spam PM / Private Messages, E-Mails, Friend Requests and Related

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 4, 2016, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Spam PM, E-Mail or Suspicious Friend Requests from FT Members

Occasionally, a new "member" may bypass the FlyerTalk spam protocols by not posting, but yet send spam via PM (Private Message - newer members are limited to sending five PMs a day), or invite members to become "friends" (with probable intent to spam).

These can be reported to Senior Moderators, IB representatives willing to be contacted (IBobi at this time) or the Community Director.

Current (as of 6 Nov 2016) Senior Moderators include l'etoile, newbierunner, Ocn Vw 1K and Prospero; SanDiego1K for a PM to the Community Director.
Print Wikipost

Spam PM / Private Messages, E-Mails, Friend Requests and Related

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2016, 9:33 am
Community Director Emerita

Forward it to me please. I'll clean out the person's PM box as you likely aren't the only one who received it. And then I'll suspend the spammer.

Carol
Old Oct 1, 2016, 10:02 am
Community Director Emerita

I love teamwork. Another mod had already suspended the member and gave me his/her handle. I've now cleaned out the PMs that this person sent.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 11:36 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The issue has been handled, and it reflects why FlyerTalk has spam control protocols - including a limit on PMs sent each day be new members - are in place.

The PM essentially was a scam with an unknown external link:

Subject: Enjoy a Premium FlyerTalk today!

Hi! You have been chosen to get PREMIUM status at FlyerTalk.com forever absolutely free !

To claim your PREMIUM status please visit THIS PAGE.

(Post quote has no working link.)

Thank you, CloudGazer, for bringing this to our attention!

Thanks to teamwork and coordination by the Community Director, the pseudo-member has a suspended account and all PMs sent have been deleted. Should you receive a similar spam PM, you can forward it on to the four Senior Moderators (in that way, if the Community Director or one Moderator is away, it can still be handled promptly).

The current four Senior Moderators are Moderator2, oliver2002, Prospero, and Ocn Vw 1K.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
I got this as well. I see the sender has already been suspended. Should I still forward the message or just delete?
Old Oct 1, 2016, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by joshwex90
I got this as well. I see the sender has already been suspended. Should I still forward the message or just delete?
Most of the PMs should have been deleted.

We've captured the information, the scammer is gone (do let us know if you get anything similar so we can act), so you can just delete the PM.

Thanks!

/Moderator
Old Nov 3, 2016, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Friend request from zero-post user

Pretty obviously somehow spam but I see no way to report it.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 1:58 pm
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
Hi Loren,

I'd be happy to help you with that. Could you send me a PM with the user's name?
Old Nov 4, 2016, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Similar e-mail here, also from member with no posts. Am PMing you as requested.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 1:13 pm

These can be reported to Senior Moderators, IB representatives willing to be contacted (IBobi) or the Community Director.

Current (as of 6 Nov 2016) Senior Moderators include l'etoile, newbierunner, Ocn Vw 1K and Prospero; SanDiego1K for a PM to the Community Director.

JDiver, Moderator

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 6, 2016 at 6:56 am Reason: Update

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.